The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Swap MPK Dome for a Mini Heki

+2
Tony F
CC
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Swap MPK Dome for a Mini Heki - Page 2 Empty Re: Swap MPK Dome for a Mini Heki

Post by CC Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:48 am

moggyminor1966 wrote:Oh so now I'm getting confused! confused3

So just to clarify I should be getting the Mini Heki Plus (roof thickness 25-42mm) without fixed ventilation
part number 27323. allthumbz

Sorry for the confusion Moggy, you think it would be simple wouldn't you... hugegrins not wanting to advise you wrongly and going back on what I said in my earlier post maybe you would be better off after-all getting part number: 27324 (43-60mm roof thickness) the same as I had fitted... although the AS service centre did say the 25-42mm roof thickness was the correct one, at least we know the 43-60mm can be adapted to fit so probably the safest of the two, would hate to advise you wrongly going on possible incorrect information given to me

modelman wrote:
Hey CC, that looks the dogs b****cks, Great job.

Well just to throw a spanner in the works, I called AS last week to ask what the roof thickness was on the Talisman, & their 'techie' fella said he
didn't know, & he suggested I removed the lower frame & have a measure up!!

This I did & on mine it was 50mm, so in my case the deeper units are the ones to go for.

Thanks MM...

it does seem odd that they don't seem to know for definite unless some models vary slightly, as you suggest the deeper units are probably the safest option... are you thinking of changing yours? smile!

CC

Last edited by CruizingComet on Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:19 am

Neuvosleeper wrote: Sorry to be a damper on all this but I believe there's far better improvments to spend a 100 quid on. Like a direct & simple water filler as in previous "blog" of mine

Brian K.

Hi Brian... in the light of things £100 really is not really a great deal of money. We pay many thousands of pounds for our motorhomes, and an average trip away would cost £100 to fill the diesel tank (never mind the return trip) so putting things in perspective I feel it's worth it for the benefits, as Moggy correctly states the MPK domes appear very dated in comparison, light transmission is almost non existent as is the ventilation they offer comparison to the Heki... as for the direct & simple water filler, we have one of those on our Nuevo so not really an issue for us luckily smile!

Moggy... here are a few exterior pics, you can see the bathroom MPK in the background to compare (hope to get this changed sometime too)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

CC

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:17 pm

Thanks CC for the outside pics looks a lot neater and easier to clean from the top as well. I never thought about the one in the toilet room but sounds a good idea as it can be dark in there at times. Do they do a Heki that size?
Wondered if you are going to the Malvern show 17-19 August? It would be nice to compare our Nuevos. We went last year and thoroughly enjoyed it with the wild west theme. smile!
moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:49 pm

CruizingComet wrote:
moggyminor1966 wrote:Oh so now I'm getting confused! confused3

So just to clarify I should be getting the Mini Heki Plus (roof thickness 25-42mm) without fixed ventilation
part number 27323. allthumbz

Sorry for the confusion Moggy, you think it would be simple wouldn't you... hugegrins not wanting to advise you wrongly and going back on what I said in my earlier post maybe you would be better off after-all getting part number: 27324 (43-60mm roof thickness) the same as I had fitted... although the AS service centre did say the 25-42mm roof thickness was the correct one, at least we know the 43-60mm can be adapted to fit so probably the safest of the two, would hate to advise you wrongly going on possible incorrect information given to me

modelman wrote:
Hey CC, that looks the dogs b****cks, Great job.

Well just to throw a spanner in the works, I called AS last week to ask what the roof thickness was on the Talisman, & their 'techie' fella said he
didn't know, & he suggested I removed the lower frame & have a measure up!!

This I did & on mine it was 50mm, so in my case the deeper units are the ones to go for.

Thanks MM...

it does seem odd that they don't seem to know for definite unless some models vary slightly, as you suggest the deeper units are probably the safest option... are you thinking of changing yours? smile!

CC

I've been thinking about rooflight replacement for a while now, as 2 out of the four have broken or missing squeese-release handles & the double-skins
are mucky inside, never been a fan of these, they were the same on the 3 caravans going back to the 70's!

As for the depth/thickness, its possible that different models (mines a Talisman) have different roof constructions.

To check, open & drop down the flyscreen, pull down to unclip, remove the screws around the inside bezel & it can then be dropped to reveal
the 'innards' for measuring.

I also actually prefer the old design due to the omni-directional air inlet, however, being made from styrene (read brittle with age) is why bits easily
snap/break, (UV light degrades it with age as well) whereas later designs are made from ABS or polyprop/acrylic, less brittle & tougher.

Having said all that, I DO like the modern/tidier look of the newer ones smile!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:53 pm

Thanks modelman for info on measuring the roof thickness.
moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:34 am

Hi CC & modelman

Took of the inner frame on the MPK today and took a photo attached. now am even more confused as there is the ceiling bit which is is made of thin plywood polystyrene sandwich which is 35mm thick on top of which is the roof part which is a thinner looks like ABS polystyrene sandwich which is 15mm thick making a total thickness of 50mm.
My question is therefore is the roof thickness the total of both ie 50mm? If so then surely the 43-60mm Heki is required rather than the 25-42mm one?

What do you think? confused3

moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:25 am

Hi Moggy.... Go for the 43-60mm rather than the 25-42mm, maybe the info I got (re: 25-42mm) was incorrect, as I understand you said West Country Motorhomes also said the deeper unit was the correct one to fit, as mine fitted OK I would recommend you go for that and save yourself any headaches smile!

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:31 am

CruizingComet wrote:Hi Moggy.... Go for the 43-60mm rather than the 25-42mm, maybe the info I got (re: 25-42mm) was incorrect, as I understand you said West Country Motorhomes also said the deeper unit was the correct one to fit, as mine fitted OK I would recommend you go for that and save yourself any headaches smile!

Thanks CC will go for the deeper one! smile!

Are you going to the Malvern Motorhome Show 17-19 August? confused3
moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:12 am

modelman wrote:

I've been thinking about rooflight replacement for a while now, as 2 out of the four have broken or missing squeese-release handles & the double-skins
are mucky inside, never been a fan of these, they were the same on the 3 caravans going back to the 70's!

As for the depth/thickness, its possible that different models (mines a Talisman) have different roof constructions.

To check, open & drop down the flyscreen, pull down to unclip, remove the screws around the inside bezel & it can then be dropped to reveal
the 'innards' for measuring.

I also actually prefer the old design due to the omni-directional air inlet, however, being made from styrene (read brittle with age) is why bits easily
snap/break, (UV light degrades it with age as well) whereas later designs are made from ABS or polyprop/acrylic, less brittle & tougher.

Having said all that, I DO like the modern/tidier look of the newer ones smile!

Hi Modelman...

if you prefer the old design with the omni-directional air inlet then they also have an updated version of this as well as a direct replacement

it's the Mini Heki AirQuad [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

CC

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:20 am

moggyminor1966 wrote:Thanks CC for the outside pics looks a lot neater and easier to clean from the top as well. I never thought about the one in the toilet room but sounds a good idea as it can be dark in there at times. Do they do a Heki that size?
Wondered if you are going to the Malvern show 17-19 August? It would be nice to compare our Nuevos. We went last year and thoroughly enjoyed it with the wild west theme. smile!

Sorry Moggy.. Missed this one earlier blushes

I don't think they do a Heki small enough for the bathroom, but MPK have finally updated their range and now make nicer looking rooflights that are clear rather than opaque, haven't checked the measurement yet but they do a 280x280 (Pic below) which is probably about right... pity they don't do the Heki AirQuad in a smaller size but think it's only available in 400x400

We might be doing Malvern... not certain at the moment but will let you know nearer the time, as I've said to other forum members we have a lively rescue dog that makes meeting people difficult as she barks at everyone as soon as they approach or speak, and it can get a little embarrassing at times... not sure what happened in her previous life for her to behave this way but once she does know people she seems to remember them thereafter and is fine! sit Will you be camping there or just day visiting? Last year at Malvern it was really hot heat but with the weather how it is anything could happen this year, just hope it's not a wash out like P'boro was

CC

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:43 am

Thanks for that CC- think my bathroom one is a revised MPK one as it has a clear top but dirt gets in the double skin and you cannot clean it out. It does have a fly net and night roller blind.
We are booked into the Camping & Caravanning Club section from the Frid-Sat leaving on the Sun.
Shame about your dog but we love dogs and have a 9 yr old Cavalier King Charles spaniel who is as soft as anything. Hope you can make it and who knows what the weather will be like.
By the way I managed to fix the rear door central locking- the top lead had come off so pushed it back on. smile!
moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:58 am

We might see you there Moggy.. not sure if we will stay on site or just day visit at the moment

I'd be interested in seeing a pic of your bathroom rooflight from inside if you get the opportunity sometime? Just wondering if the opening could be made bigger to fit a 400x400 heki even (might be an option) as I find the ones fitted in the bathroom are too small anyway, and only really suitable for ventilation more than light.. getting into a bit of money to do that I suppose, so have to have a think before making any hasty decisions hugegrins

CC

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:09 am

CruizingComet wrote:We might see you there Moggy.. not sure if we will stay on site or just day visit at the moment

I'd be interested in seeing a pic of your bathroom rooflight from inside if you get the opportunity sometime? Just wondering if the opening could be made bigger to fit a 400x400 heki even (might be an option) as I find the ones fitted in the bathroom are too small anyway, and only really suitable for ventilation more than light.. getting into a bit of money to do that I suppose, so have to have a think before making any hasty decisions hugegrins

CC

No problem will try & get a pic tomorrow. Looking at your pic of the roof I think if the opening was cut bigger it may be outside the raised bit on the roof where the existing one is fitted so may not be possible but I do agree they always fit tiny ones and with having no window in there anyway it is quite dark on dull days and usually resort to switching the light on.
Let me know nearer the Malvern show if you are going & I will send you a pm with my mobile.

moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:17 am

You could have a point there, didn't think about it might not fit even...
Will see how your newer MPK looks in the pic then have another think gimmefive

CC

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:34 am

CruizingComet wrote:You could have a point there, didn't think about it might not fit even...
Will see how your newer MPK looks in the pic then have another think gimmefive

CC

Hi CC just nipped out to take a few photos not easy with the light coming into the lens but hope you can see it OK. I do not know whether there is a way you can remove the clear outer top bit to clean inside but it looks awful from the inside. smile! smile!

moggyminor1966
moggyminor1966

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:41 am

Thanks for the pics Moggy... I had hoped they had updated the rooflights to incorporate a sliding blind and flyscreen like the Heki's but will stick with ours for now as they are identical apart from our lid being more opaque, oddly enough we have never suffered with dirt within the two covers even on our older Trident guess we have just been lucky.

CC

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2