The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mark at AS service dept ... shame

+22
Peter Brown
Suppersready
Paramedic
rgermain
Bad Penny
roli
CC
marbarsymbol
KMRTOPAZ
MelB
inspiredron
nuevoboy
harrysp
PLOUGHLIN
PMC
Bobskate
burlingtonboaby
Quilter
Askit
Paulmold
Spospe
Cymro
26 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Mark at AS service dept ... shame - Page 2 Empty Re: Mark at AS service dept ... shame

Post by burlingtonboaby Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:09 pm

CC wrote:That’s the end of the service center then if Mark leaves... No way anyone can replace him. 
Got a feeling he was unhappy last time we were there by something he said. 

Boaby... Mark is fit cycling daily but he’s had health issues suffering with ‘Graves Disease’ (like myself) I wish him every success for the future, and hope he goes on to bigger and better things and that he’s appreciated more than he was by Auto-Sleepers!

He started work at AS when he was just 16, cycles from Evesham to Willersey daily. 

Will certainly make me think about going there anymore in the future, he was a Top Guy!
No wonder he is fit cycling that distance daily, really hope he finds a good job to match his skill set.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Mark at AS service dept ... shame - Page 2 Empty Re: Mark at AS service dept ... shame

Post by Paramedic Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:14 pm

Herewith an edited email with Mark dated April 2016. 

Hi Mark, our grateful thanks for your prompt reply and most happy to learn that we gained the 80 watt panel. Now realise that you are the same 'Mark' who receives much praise and respect from the ASOF where help and advice is greatly sought.

"Mr R........., thank you for the kind words that you have gathered from the forum, as you can appreciate I have a difficult job to do and it is nice to have some positive feedback. Please ......."

Wouldn't it be nice if someone from this forum who may still have direct contact with Mark, could collate all the comments and gratitude mentioned and pass them on to him. It would be a great shame on leaving A/S that his excellent customer service was never acknowledged.

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:49 pm

I've sent a personal email to Mark, drawing this thread to his attention. But I don't know if he's still at the factory and has access to his works email.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:08 am

Colleagues:  I've received the following - typically modest - reply from Mark:

"Mr .......,  thank you for you kind words and the link to the forum. If you could kindly thank everyone for me on the forum for being patient with me either over the phone, email or in person while I have been trying my utmost to help as many as I can and for their kind words as it does really mean a lot me and I shall take them with me. I am not staying in the motorhome industry but leaving to work for a company called Listers which are a VW garage near my home to work as a service advisor. My last day at Auto-Sleepers after 30 years is on Friday March 1st.
Best wishes to all.
Mark"

In the hope that Mark sees this, I know that I speak for all Members of the Forum when I send him our thanks and very best wishes.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Suppersready Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:47 am

JMet Mark twice for service/warranty work and  I would echo all the positive comments.
Suppersready
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Corinium FB
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:06 am

Cymro wrote:Colleagues:  I've received the following - typically modest - reply from Mark:

"Mr .......,  thank you for you kind words and the link to the forum. If you could kindly thank everyone for me on the forum for being patient with me either over the phone, email or in person while I have been trying my utmost to help as many as I can and for their kind words as it does really mean a lot me and I shall take them with me. I am not staying in the motorhome industry but leaving to work for a company called Listers which are a VW garage near my home to work as a service advisor. My last day at Auto-Sleepers after 30 years is on Friday March 1st.
Best wishes to all.
Mark"

In the hope that Mark sees this, I know that I speak for all Members of the Forum when I send him our thanks and very best wishes.

Cymro

Cymro, many thanks for doing this on behalf of forum members. My own dealings with Mark were limited to a couple of phone calls and several email exchanges in relation to warranty issues. He was knowledgeable, helpful and honest in all contacts, the rare (sadly) traits that engender trust between us as customers and those we do business with. I hope that some of his attitude and practices have rubbed off on his colleagues, for both the sake of AS and the customer base. Again, I wish him well in his new employment.

I suspect he won't miss us as much as we'll miss him biggrin

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:37 am

Yes Cymro, our thanks also for your initial enquiry and update with regard to Mark. Regards

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:40 pm

How lucky are Listers to be getting such a commited worker - Huge loss to Auto-Sleepers and us as customers, not sure if I want to deal with the service centre anymore without Mark to arrange stuff with, he was always helpful & accomodating even when really busy.

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:09 pm

CC wrote:.... not sure if I want to deal with the service centre anymore without Mark to arrange stuff with, he was always helpful & accomodating even when really busy.

No pressure on his replacement then ? !

His are big shoes to fill.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:23 pm

There have been three managers of the Service Centre since it was established and since then it has been the place to go for service and repair and not just for Auto-sleeper motorhomes, they repair other makes for insurers.

I join with all of my predecessors in this thread by applauding the service we have received from Mark in recent years and wish him every success in his new position - many times, a change is as good as a rest and at certain times of life that is needed.

Mark was waiting in the wings for Trevor to retire and I'm not aware of an equivalent person at the moment, but whoever takes over, I'll give him (her) a chance to live up to the performance of the predecessors.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:34 pm

We are booked in for a service and for minor repairs in mid April and look forward to meeting Mark’s successor ( Mark 2 ? ) I always feel reassured when the van goes to AS as who better to do a good job than the people who know it best because they built it ?
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:03 pm

Personally I've never met Mark, but a few years ago I did have occasion to email him regarding availability of a severely damaged interior bulkhead panel in my van. He replied that sadly the panel had been discontinued by AS 6 years previously, however he sent me a PDF attachment of the original panel blueprint from their archives. From this a local carpenter made me a new part from scratch.
Outstanding service from Mark, above and beyond the call of duty, as the company didn't profit at all from this.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:08 pm

I wish I shared your optimism Quilter

Having been to the service centre more times than I care to remember I don’t think there has been even one occasion where we have had work carried out on our Nuevo or Broadway at the service centre where I haven’t had to go back to Mark before leaving to get it put right (apart from servicing or hab checks) had it not been for his swift action in getting the vehicle back in the workshop and rectified I would have absolutely NO confidence in the workshop staff

I can give you a multitude of examples (but won’t) but the one that stands out for me still is the Brabantia bin fitted to our Nuevo door that fell off along with the frame and screws each time the door was slammed shut, the solution was to use bigger and longer screws until it held, at one point I looked on horrified that the screws were going to come through the outside skin of the door! it took three attempts and even then it fell off as I turned the corner at the end of the road, out of the factory! I fixed it myself on my return home by using 3 short posi drive self tapping screws which were a 1/4 of the length of those used by the workshop. The staff members attitude was “don’t worry we get paid by the hour” which says it all really. 

No longer having the reassurance of Mark being there to get any issues sorted before leaving will probably result in us no longer going there... Others will say otherwise, but either they have been very lucky or just aren’t as fussy as me, who knows? 

CC

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:13 pm

CC wrote:
CC
Are you the "Cruising Comet" from youtube?
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:26 pm

A similar thing happened to a Moto Guzzi dealership in London.
The service manager there was a extremely respected expert in all things Moto Guzzi, having been a top mechanic for 30 odd years. Customers from all over the country went there because of his expertise.
After a spat with management he left and set up his own business.
All his loyal customers followed him.
His business is now thriving and the original dealership he worked for folded a few years later.
A shame Mark is leaving the MH industry..
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:33 pm

AutoSleepy_Don wrote:
CC wrote:
CC
Are you the "Cruising Comet" from youtube?

Yes guilty as charged hugegrins

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:53 pm

I've been at the Factory today and spoken with Mark.

With his permission, I can tell you that he has read this thread and is overwhelmed and embarrassed by the contents. He thanks you all for your comments.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:16 pm

Peter Brown wrote:I've been at the Factory today and spoken with Mark.

With his permission, I can tell you that he has read this thread and is overwhelmed and embarrassed by the contents.  He thanks you all for your comments.
Hope you took him for a wee half Peter.  up!
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:25 pm

Bet he can tell his new employers a thing or two about VW T4s & T5s !!
roli
roli

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:24 pm

Thanks Peter. smile!

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Maasai Warrior Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:47 pm

Just caught up with this thread about Mark going. We are stunned! He is the only reason we still own an AS van. The man is a genius and has always been prepared to troubleshoot the problems that have come out of the factory. While under warranty Mark looked after our van and has personally dealt with all the problems we have had, and there have been a few! An absolute top guy who will be greatly missed and I can’t see anyone prepared to go to the lengths he did to sort out owners’ problems. We are booked in for a 5th habitation van check with AS just before he leaves, so I hope we get to see him. Mark always gives a great service with a smile and a chat, sometimes with extra issues dealt with, with no quibble whatsoever. Times are changing for AS and this sad news has helped to confirm our thoughts about our personal future with AS.

Both Caroline and I wish Mark and his family all the very best for the future. The new job is bound to be less frustrating for him! From a very thankful Pete and Caroline. Top man. allthumbz
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway EB owner
Vehicle Year : Mar 2014

Back to top Go down

Mark at AS service dept ... shame - Page 2 Empty Great to see Mark Burdett today

Post by Maasai Warrior Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:03 pm

Very pleased to see Mark at AS Service Centre today, the day before he sadly finishes at AS. He will be greatly missed and from what we understand they still don’t know who his replacement will be! Whoever it is, they are big boots to fill. Carol will be still be there and we hope that she will be looked after in the next phase. 

As we all know tomorrow will be Mark’s last day at AS, and we wish him all the best for the future.

Our Broadway got through its fifth AS habitation check with flying colours, and once again no damp issues.hugegrinshugegrins
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway EB owner
Vehicle Year : Mar 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:57 am

I wonder how the new guy is doing?
Has anyone been to AS since Mark left?
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:01 pm

When I was there in last week of Feb, Mark told me that his successor wouldn't be starting for 6 weeks. Mark was being very discreet and so I didn't press him. 

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PMC Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:38 pm

I was there yesterday for habitation service and poor Carol is really missing Mark both for his encyclopedic knowledge and as a friend. Alan was taking calls and emails and he seemed a bit frazzled but he did find time to call my husband to check if I got home safely after both nearside tyres were damaged while putting the van on the ramp! They swapped the spare for the worst damaged and I had fingers crossed that the other would be OK. So now that’s another job for me to sort. Ho hum.
PMC
PMC

Female

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : None

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next