The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scooter rack on a Sigma/ Broadway EK

5 posters

Go down

Scooter rack on a Sigma/ Broadway EK Empty Scooter rack on a Sigma/ Broadway EK

Post by alythian Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:40 pm

Hi all. I am looking to trading up to a Sigma/ Broadway EK. Has anybody out there fitted a Watling Scooter rack and towbar to either of these vans and with what success? I would be looking to carry a lightweight Honda PCX125 on the back of said Motorhome.
My thanks in anticipation of your replies.

Brett.
alythian

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Scooter rack on a Sigma/ Broadway EK Empty Re: Scooter rack on a Sigma/ Broadway EK

Post by burlingtonboaby Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:21 pm

Some Sigmas sit very low on the rear leaf spring, mine has rear air assist to bring the rear end up, one might need it if you adding more weight to the chassis on the rear.

Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Scooter rack on a Sigma/ Broadway EK Empty Re: Scooter rack on a Sigma/ Broadway EK

Post by -mojo- Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:50 pm

I think your best bet would be to ask A/S themselves, because only they know exactly how the structure at the rear of a Sigma changed with time.

But offhand I would have thought you would be taking the rear axle over-weight, unless you don't normally carry much payload while you're away. The PCX125 alone weighs 125 kilos, so with a rack that's going to be around 150 kilos, and with the weight of the towbar you would be adding maybe 170 kilos, several feet behind the rear axle.

Last edited by -mojo- on Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:22 pm

For what it's worth, we had one of these fitted to our Broadway EK last August to carry 2 electric bikes:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

There is a thread about it here:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

and, over one year on and lots of miles covered, we are still very pleased with it.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by BarryP Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:45 pm

I would be surprised if you did not hit significant rear axle overloading issues. We had a mobility scooter carrier fitted to our Nuevo without considering this and then found that rear axle was seriously overloaded. By the time you take the tow bar, carrier and scooter into account you will be (as already mentioned) adding something like 170kg to the load. The overhang exacerbates this as well. The Broadway seems to be plated at 3500kg - our Nuevo was 3400kg. We abandoned the idea after having bought the carrier. Even then, the usable capacity was thin. We up-rated to 3700kg via SV Tech, removed the tow bar and fitted air-rides. Scooter now travels inside on the passenger seat! Please do your maths before you commit.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
BarryP
BarryP
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by alythian Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:40 pm

Hi all. Thank you for your replies. We`ll be leaving that alone then.
Brett.
alythian

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down