The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tow Bar & Scooter Rack

+4
bikeralw
paul long
-mojo-
Maureen57
8 posters

Go down

Tow Bar & Scooter Rack Empty Tow Bar & Scooter Rack

Post by Maureen57 Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:24 pm

I'm awaiting delivery of my new NUEVO ES.  I intend to get properley fitted a TOW BAR & Scooter Rack. I live near Heathrow and have found a place in Poole Dorset to get professionally fitted. Any other places you know??  Has anyone got any advice or comments on this subject. I intend to get a Piaggio Zip scooter. This will make my life easier when 'height barriers' cause problems in towns and villages. I can park further out and 'zip' into town. Also, as I get older, the bicycle doesn't seem to be such a good idea if there are lots of 'hills' about. Thankyou for any comments about bike covers, fixing straps or anything else you think might come in helpful. Thankyou
Maureen57
Maureen57

Female

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Autosleeper NUEVO ES
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Tow Bar & Scooter Rack Empty Re: Tow Bar & Scooter Rack

Post by -mojo- Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:33 pm

Have you checked with A-S what towbar limits apply to the chassis? The bike plus a carrier strong enough to support it won't (I wouldn't think) come in at any less than 120 kilos, and that's more than many manufacturers specify their towbar mounts as safe to carry (not sure about Peugeot, but my van has an absolute max towbar load of 100 kilos).

The ES layout also puts a lot of the conversion weight right over the back axle, so you would need to consider how close to the rear axle load limit you will be if adding a towbar, bike carrier and scooter on the back.

You will also have to bear in mind that the towbar, bike and carrier will consume nearly a quarter of the van's user payload, so you may need to be a bit careful about other loads - though it should still leave a payload of around 420-440 kilos.

And also - something people tend to forget - you will probably need something to help you get a 100 kilo bike up onto the carrier. Whether that's a ramp or something more clever, that will all add weight...

Last edited by -mojo- on Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by paul long Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:45 pm

Why not look into having a scooter rack fitted on to the chassis instead tow bar and scooter rack. Im having one fitted on Wednesday , but its up in Preston. With help on the Internet you can work out the payload etc, to make sure its save to carry your scooter.
paul long
paul long

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : ascot
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:55 pm

I've often thought of taking my Honda 100cc scoot. This is what I'd go for. They're getting quite common on the continent.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by paul long Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:54 pm

Ive got the new Peugeot 125cc team sport, great for taking pillon. They weight 114kg.
paul long
paul long

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : ascot
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:28 pm

I bought my Vespa 300GTS with a view to taking it on a trailer behind the Nuevo, at 150kg it's the same weight as the 125cc version. But on reflection I decided it's a bit heavy, hence the Honda 100cc at 100kg.
However, I'm really yet to be convinced of trailering a bike, my Nuevo is only 5.4m long and apart from height restrictions, it goes and parks anywhere a car would go, and so far I've managed to drive it to within walking distance of anywhere I want to go..
However I sometimes pop my little fold up Di Blasi (in it's bag!) in the van. Ideal for nipping into a village for morning croissants...
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by streetglider Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:01 pm

Hi Maureen,

We've just bought a Vespa 300GTS having previously towed our Harley all over Europe (we've still got the Harley).
However the Vespa's a hoot to ride and it's much easier to load on our new trailer (cmf-engineering.com). Have a look at their website and you might like the look of their kit. I'm not sure that the rotating wheels of the continental trailer comply with EU regs, although they do look neat. You'll need a towbar of course but speak to Phil at CMF and he'll give you loads of info.
See you on the road,

Don
streetglider
streetglider
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by richard.d.m Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:32 pm

armitage trailers at ferrybridge make scooter racks motorhome towbars side loading bike trailers. they will advise  how much you can carry on the back of your motorhome which others can be a bit vague about . as for towbar fitted racks not had one but was told that there was a lot of movement with this type better to go with the type that fit to the chassis which can can also be removed when not in use used armitage trailers and i can highly recommend
richard.d.m
richard.d.m

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway el

Back to top Go down

Post by Maureen57 Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:02 pm

Thankyou to everyone for your input about my scooter carrier etc.  I have spoken directly with Auto Sleeper and they advise total of 120kg. So my next step is to talk to the tow bar/Scooter carrier people for the strongest and lightest option (bolt on to the chassis).  Which then leaves me with an excess weight for the Scooter. Auto Sleeper have given me great guidance as well as you members. Thankyou.
Maureen57
Maureen57

Female

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Autosleeper NUEVO ES
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by merv Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:09 pm

Maureen, 
Having had Auto-Sleeper vans since 1996, 9 years ago having just turned 60 , we decided to buy a van with a garage to accommodate a scooter and bought a Honda Lead and that experience lasted for 4 years until we gave it up and returned to a Symbol. I liked many aspects of the two wheel experience but I would suggest to you that you try two things before you go ahead. First, it had been 40 years since I had been on two wheels (other than  a cycle) and that took some getting used to. So, if possible, I think you should see what you think of riding a scooter on the road.  Secondly, as someone has already said on here, The Nuevo is a smallish van. We have one and have not experienced serious problems in parking; it's worth trying the van out properly before having the scooter-carrying paraphenalia added.
I loved being able to park the scooter in tiny spaces and much of the time I liked the experience of being on two wheels. What was not so good though, was carrying around our helmets and heavy jackets on hot days or getting wet on rainy days!
I think I was a good rider, careful, considerate, etc. but what finally made us change the van and get rid of the scooter was when I asked my wife how she honestly felt about being a pillion rider and she said, 'It's ok but I'm always happier when we get to where we're going!'  That meant my experiment was over because motorcaravanning has to be pleasurable.. all of it, including any driving.
merv

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol Plus
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:46 pm

bikeralw wrote:I've often thought of taking my Honda 100cc scoot. This is what I'd go for. They're getting quite common on the continent.

Yes Al, I've seen them in action and chatted to the owner of one. He reckoned it's brilliant and it certainly seemed to perform faultlessly when he gave us a demo. He wasn't on smooth tarmac either, it was a fairly bumpy bit of campsite, but there was no problem at all.

Expensive as you would guess, but I think the price is coming down as the production rate increases.

Dave
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down