The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Diesel Particulate Filters charges.

4 posters

Go down

Diesel Particulate Filters charges. Empty Diesel Particulate Filters charges.

Post by BML Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:36 am

I note that Transport for London has introduced new rules regarding vehicle emissions from the 3rd January 2012 which will affect certain vehicles including motorhomes. A daily charge of between £100 and £200 will be payable on non-compliant vehicles. Between 2500kg and 3500kg pay £100 and vehicles over 3500kg will have to pay £200 per day to drive in London so I hope that nayone considering driving into the area affected knows about it.
This will affect many motor caravans yet for some strange reason it has not been applied to taxis that emit a considerable amount of the emissions the new law is supposed to deal with. I have asked why taxis have received favourable treatment but TFL avoids answering the question.
BML
BML

Male

Member Age : 87
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa

Back to top Go down

Diesel Particulate Filters charges. Empty Re: Diesel Particulate Filters charges.

Post by Paulmold Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:07 pm

BML wrote:This will affect many motor caravans yet for some strange reason it has not been applied to taxis that emit a considerable amount of the emissions the new law is supposed to deal with. I have asked why taxis have received favourable treatment but TFL avoids answering the question.

THere are 25,000 black cabs in London and without them travel around the capital would be almost impossible. New rules introduced mean taxis over 15 years old are no longer allowed, so I suppose that is a start to make them cleaner but can you imagine the furore it would cause if taxis were suddenly no longer allowed because of the new rules? Obviously , strength in numbers compared to motorhomes has a large influence on the exemption.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Diesel Particulate Filters charges. Empty Re: Diesel Particulate Filters charges.

Post by BML Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:59 pm

I'm not so sure that travel around the capital would be almost impossible. In fact when ever I go up to London now I often find that I have to walk because the congestion is so bad. Your right, strength in numbers compared to motorhomes had a large influence on the exemption but what a pity Transport for London could not admit that.
BML
BML

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:21 pm

It's the popular modern system to limit the activities of the less well off on a "Pay Up or Lose Your Rights" basis. allthumbz allthumbz

I wonder how many people within the M25 circle will find that they own a non-compliant Motorhome and who won't be able to afford the £2,500 conversion fee required?

I genuinely feel sorry for them. Imagine if YOUR pride and joy became "illegal" overnight - and dear Ken and Boris were jointly responsible?!?! ("Pass me the shotgun Mildred. I'm nipping up to City Hall!") wave

We get the leaders we vote for. All I can say is "It wasn't me Guv!" blushes

drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by BML Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:32 pm

I no longer have the courage to take a Motor Caravan into or around London but I used to and have stayed at a site near the junction where East India Dock Road meets the Blackwall Tunnel and have also used a couple of the major clubs sites the other side of the river. What annoys me is that if I had not come across this new law by accident and had taken a Motor Caravan to London I would have been furious to find that I had been fined. As I might have said before, what is doubly annoying is that no one will say why motor Caravans have been stiffed but taxis exempted.
BML
BML

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramblingon Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:21 am

LES has been on the cards for ages-(the reason all none compliant Motor homes are reduced in price-and how I could afford mine) I for one think it is reasonable to try to make the air our children breath cleaner, we do have international responsibilities and must comply with serious reductions in all carbon emissions if we are to do our bit, why not start in London?

We use our Motor homes for pleasure- The Taxi driver has investment in his vehicle as his living, he is not rich and the cost of a Black cab is very expensive, so I don't think it is unreasonable to exempt them from LES temporarily.

As for engine conversion last time I looked the AA thought it wasn't worth the trouble as the technology is far from perfect at the moment. Like many others I am just going to stay away from London. smile!
Ramblingon
Ramblingon
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman

Back to top Go down