The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nuisance Phone Calls

+16
kaspian
Cymro
peugeotboxer
daisy mae
Jaytee
Askit
modelman
roli
Dutto
Quilter
bikeralw
groundhog
Gromit
Paul 300358
dbroada
Dave 418
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Nuisance Phone Calls Empty Nuisance Phone Calls

Post by Dave 418 Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:30 pm

:tap_fingers:Since I have been retired and home alone whilst management is at work the amount of stupid phone calls is getting silly. I have found some of them hang up if you dont speak. I have had three phone calls today,sorry four now, asking for my wife. I got a bit miffed when I was told she must be at home now she is retired.( She retired and returned 3 days a week.) I have resorted to giving my mobile number to anyone I want to speak to. All I ask is let me have my days alone in peace to plan our trips away and some shed time. Its not a lot to ask is it. shrugg
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Nuisance Phone Calls Empty Re: Nuisance Phone Calls

Post by Guest Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:54 pm

I'm with BT, have been for years, their recently introduced call handling system is great.

Can block all withheld numbers, unless you specify a particular number you want to call you, can immediately block any number that does get through.

It takes awhile to 'kick in' but since we've been using it (about two or three months) the amount of nuisance calls we get has reduced quite a bit.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:00 pm

think_smiley_46 I will discuss this with management, I dont make complicated choices any more. Maybe I could block the calls from her sister in Australia. happyyes
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:09 pm

My partner refuses the call handling system partly as our doctors ring on an anonymous number. 

I do get fed up with the number of calls I get too. Most recently HMRC have taken to calling me with a recorded message. I have also had many calls from the Microsoft support team. Obviously I ignored them all.

If somebody says this will only take 5 minutes I take great delight in answering slowly while watching the clock and a 4 minutes, 50 seconds saying "times up" and putting the phone down. It's the simple pleasures that keep me entertained.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Stolen)
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:11 pm

Oops, double post.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Stolen)

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul 300358 Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:07 pm

We have a BT8610, brilliant!! Any one calling but withholding their number has to state who they are, you then get a choice whether to answer or not. We have had it for about 6 months and have not had a single nuisance call. Plenty of missed calls from people who did not want to say who they were.
You can pre program it with numbers who can just ring as normal.
Paul 300358
Paul 300358
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:35 pm

Paul 300358 wrote:We have a BT8610, brilliant!! Any one calling but withholding their number has to state who they are, you then get a choice whether to answer or not. We have had it for about 6 months and have not had a single nuisance call. Plenty of missed calls from people who did not want to say who they were.
You can pre program it with numbers who can just ring as normal.
So have we Paul, and I agree. It works very well.

When you get an announced call, if you are not sure about it you can press 1 which lets the caller through on that occasion only.

If it's someone you know and don't want to block, press 2 and they are let through and permanently added to the "allowed" list. Next time they phone their call comes straight through with no hassle.

We now very rarely get the nuisance calls, often at around tea time. The phone stores the missed cals so you can review them if you wish, to see if it has blocked anyone you may have wanted to speak to.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:04 pm

A vote for the BT 1572 system whereby you can create your own blacklist and share the benefits of other peoples. Since signing up to it my nuisance calls have pretty much stopped.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:13 pm

We just have caller display. Plus I've set the phone to give a jaunty warble when friends in the phone's memory call, a rather less jaunty tone from family, and the normal ring if the call is unknown. We never pick up when it's the normal ring tone, it goes to the answer phone.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:22 pm

We've never, ever had one nuisance phone call.

Years ago we had a "cherished" number which we kept. It's completely different from other numbers in the county and so never figures on cold call lists or automatic dialling.

Whenever we are asked for a phone number we give it but with 2 or 3 numbers transposed so it can't be used. Only family or trusted people have our number so, if we did get a cold call, it would be easy to trace who gave it to the company calling.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:01 pm

The last thing I want is the "Block All Unidentified Callers" option because BOTH of our mobile phones are "Identity Blocked".  This is to reduce the chance of nuisance calls on our mobile phones when we are away from home and incurring charges to receive calls; but it also means that we can't call home from the mobiles if we have the "BAUC" facility.

Good old TalkTalk have put the "Block All Unidentified Callers" option on my home phone on TWO occasions without me asking and I have only discovered this when (like ET) I've tried to call home.

Frustrated by their latest I phoned TalkTalk only last week and surprise, surprise, I was told that I could block the last caller by tapping in

14258**

Apparently this action blocks just the last caller and not all unidentified callers.

I've yet to use the system so how true this is I don't know.  Sorry.

Hope this helps.
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:18 am

Looks like I am going to repeat the others but the best £65 I have ever spent was on our BT8500 (3 phones & Base) We have had our tea in peace since we bought a few years ago and now have zero junk calls. If in doubt it has a call vetting system to decide if it will ask you if you wish to accept the call
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:29 am

If i'm in a '* Inappropriate Word *' mode, I'll say 'hello', & if Mr cold-caller starts his spiel, I'll again say 'hellooo', while he's still talking,  then he starts again,  & just carry on over & over as if there's a problem with the line & he can't be heard. Sometimes, I've managed to drag this on for quite a while, but then unfortunately, they hang up. 
I then put the handset down with a self-satisfied, smug grin. hugegrins  

Another one that always works is, 'Sorry, i'm busy at the moment, give me your number & i'll call you back in a couple of minutes'.  But they don't for some reason!!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

dotsontour likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:22 am

Interesting twist on the nuisance phone call front. I’ve been looking at changing our broadband provider and checked out all the usual suspects on comparison sites and on each of those belonging to the ones that I wanted more information from. On Virgin, they asked for my postcode and house number to “check internet speeds”, no problem thinks I, we’re ex-directory and we’ve had no connection with them so they can’t do more than email me. How wrong was I, next day a cheery and persistent chap from Virgin offices, Manchester called our landline, addresses me by name and asks if I’m ready to sign up  rolleyes 

Although my only interest is broadband, he regaled me with TV packages at 100mph. It took me a little while to explain to him that his call was not welcome and he seemed to have some difficulty understanding why I didn’t want to arrange a date for him to call back or an engineer to visit to “assess our needs”. 

Before his call, Virgin were at the top of our consideration list, today they are not on the list at all  happyno

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:35 am

I take the call, ask them to hang on and then leave the handset by a radio. Don't know how long it takes them to twig hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:35 pm

I also have the numbers from Talktalk which bans unwanted callers, think they have got the message, no unwanted calls for a while now,    you see I will get one now. smile! for saying that.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:56 pm

Bought these a few weeks ago (cheaper then):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BT-Advanced-Blocker-Cordless-Machine/dp/B01BWMWTJY?th=1

Surprising the number of calls that just hang up!!

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:09 pm

Answering the phone in Welsh usually baffles the unknown caller. They then get frustrated. Some shout. One told me to F Off and hung up. By I don't - I leave the phone of the hook until the scrambler starts to screech. I hope that's a retaliatory nuisance...!
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

dotsontour likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:37 pm

Cymro, you can leave the phone off all night , as they called you, they control the call. They can redial immediately for their next victim. Once the exchange detects your phone off the hook but not in the process of dialling it applies the howler to warn you that phone is off hook. But I do like you answering in Welsh.
           I was sitting in the middle of a technical course last week when the lecturer received a similar call from a Sanjeeve who was concerned that he had a security issue with his computer and  wanted  to fix a problem with his computer. He put the call on the amplifier so we could all hear and then led poor Sanjeeve a merry dance for over 5 minutes while he was asked to give him passwords and allow HIM to take over his computer to fix a windows security issue . When we finally all spoke up and wished him a happy new year he told us to f off and hung up too! hugegrins
kaspian

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : WARWICK XL
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:54 pm

Wonderful, Kaspian!

Thanks for enlightening me about leaving my phone off the hook. Pity!

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:37 pm

This thread must have triggered something in the ether as I have had two 'we have been advised you have had an accident' calls. After asking them to tell me when it was 'as they had been advised then they must know' which led to a tirade of questions about said accident which I keep reverting to 'tell me when it was then' they hung up allthumbz

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:44 pm

As with the computer calls, I usually just say, "which one?".
meanchris

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:52 pm

meanchris wrote:As with the computer calls, I usually just say, "which one?".

hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:56 pm

I told one caller, in a very distressed voice, that I have 9 computers running various versions of Windows, and begged him to help me find out which one was causing the problem that he was ringing me about.

I was bored. hugegrins
meanchris

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:48 pm

I have said that I do not have a computer, end of. hugegrins

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae