The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Exchange policy for calor gas bottles ?

+14
-mojo-
The Chase
boxerman
dash
bertb
whisky
Dutto
focus
Waves117
DavidT
deckie
Paulmold
roli
CC
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Exchange policy for calor gas bottles ? Empty Exchange policy for calor gas bottles ?

Post by CC Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:29 pm

What is the exchange policy for Calor gas bottles?
We currently use 3.9kg bottles with our Trident, but as the Nuevo uses the larger 6kg bottles are we able to exchange a 3.9kg for a 6kg bottle or does it have to be like for like?

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Exchange policy for calor gas bottles ? Empty Re: Exchange policy for calor gas bottles ?

Post by roli Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:13 am

It supposed to be on a size for size basis. However if you go to a proper Calor Distributor rather than a reseller such as garages and shops and sites they will probably swop you the cylinders.

I would suggest you go for 6kg Lights which which save you some of your weight allowance. Have you picked the van up yet ? if not and have trouble when you come up let me know and I have a couple of standard 6kg propane's here (with gas in) I think, which I will swop you for 1 of your dumpies. Let me know and I will dig out.

Out of interest you will get a 13kg propane in that gas locker (just checked the photos')
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Exchange policy for calor gas bottles ? Empty Re: Exchange policy for calor gas bottles ?

Post by CC Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:40 am

Hi roli

No not picked it up yet, surprising just how long it seems waiting to get it... think it's the replacement sink that's holding things up possibly so_sad estimated handover date was beginning of November so shouldn't have much longer to wait twiddle_thumbs We're hoping it will have a bottle on board even if it's empty (but I doubt it) so at least then we can just exchange it, otherwise from what I can gather it's around £50 if buying outright Ouchhhh! hugegrins thanks for the bottle swap offer btw

Ideally, Yes we would like to get on to the Calor lite bottles but in rural Norfolk they are very thin on the Ground, out of interest do you know if Spinney do them Roger?

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:44 am

There is actually a Calor exchange policy for which cylinders can be swopped for a different size. Calor stockists don't always follow this policy so it's always worth asking, I have swopped sizes and from butane to propane so worth asking but the official policy is below...........

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:54 am

Thanks paul.. the page says they can be 'exchanged for another cylinder within the same category free of charge' would the bigger 6kg propane & lite's be in the same category though? has anyone else been in this situation, must be a fairly common scenario when going up to a bigger van smile!

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:05 am

I don't believe that you can swop a standard for a lite. When we were at the C&CC site in Weston in July we ran out of gas and they only had Lites in stock and claim to have been told by Calor not to swop as the Lites are always in short supply.
One thing we did learn there is that all (I think it's all) Morrisons petrol stations stock Calor so if you need gas check your Sat Nav for petrol stations and find your nearest Morrrisons.

Having just checked the link again, it would appear they are happy to swop from a Lite to a standard but NOT the other way round.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:21 am

Thanks for the tip about Morrisons thats handy to know, read somewhere recently that the lite bottles are now so popular due to motorhome use that Calor were upping production to meet the growing demand so maybe they will be more widely available in the future.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by deckie Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:04 am

Thanks All,

Didn't know about the 6kg 'Lite', just shows ... never too old to learn scratch head

Will certainly exchange next time .... weight allowance ..... Wife blames my tools ..... I blame Her shoes .... hugegrins

Brian

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidT Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:30 pm

Go Outdoors in Norwich (Barker Street, by Halfords) stock the Calor Lite cylinders. I don't know what their policy is on exchanging different sizes or types.
DavidT
DavidT

Male

Member Age : 75
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Waves117 Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:34 pm

Hi all

For my two pennies worth - Direct link for "suitable calor exchange" interesting read

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Waves117 wave
Waves117
Waves117
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : TRIDENT

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:13 pm

Dont bank on CC, C&CC, or Halfords swopping them they are resellers.

You can definitely swop standard 6kg for 6kg Lites if re sellers wont its their policy not Calors
roli
roli

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by deckie Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:18 pm

Hi All,

The 6kg 'Lite' bottle looked bigger !!, so i checked on Calor's site ... no help there ??, so Googled and someone on M/H Facts had Emailed them (Calor) and they are the same as the standard 6kg at 495 mm high x 256 mm Dia. .... good news for me next time up!
Brian

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:55 pm

Paulmold wrote:Having just checked the link again, it would appear they are happy to swop from a Lite to a standard but NOT the other way round.

I'm wrong again. You can swop 6kg for Lite and the other way round but not the 'dumpy' 3.9kg.

Does anyone know if the Lite 6kg is the same price on exchange as the standard 6kg, can't find the price of the Lite on Calor website, the standard 6kg is £19.95, afterall 6kg of gas is 6kg of gas in either cylinder, isn't it?
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidT Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:47 am

I paid £19.80 for a Calor Lite refill at Go Outdoors Norwich, using their discount card. The "Retail Price" is apparently £22. See [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].
DavidT
DavidT

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:03 pm

Thanks for that. Having checked the link for the price of standard 6kg I see that it's £18.00. So 6kg of gas is not the same price in different cylinders, I wonder why? I'll ask Calor.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:43 pm

DavidT wrote:I paid £19.80 for a Calor Lite refill at Go Outdoors Norwich, using their discount card. The "Retail Price" is apparently £22. See [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

Yes I saw those in Go Outdoors last weekend, (£50 if like us you don't have an empty to exchange though) still handy to know as I don't know of anywhere else around our way that stocks the lites.

Spoke to Spinney's today where we are getting our motorhome and they confirmed there is no gas bottle on board (what a surprise) but said they could fix us up with a lite when we collect the motorhome so to save ourselves the hassle will probably just get one through them and be done with it smile!

Anyone know how the integrated GasTrac gauge works or how accurate these are?

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:06 pm

Dont get excited, all you can guarantee is when its well over in the red its empty!! and of course draw off rates are determined not only by the regulator but the outside temperature
roli
roli

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidT Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:17 am

CruizingComet wrote:... still handy to know as I don't know of anywhere else around our way that stocks the lites.
I also got a refill of a Calor Lite cylinder at Norwich Caravans, Cromer Road, Hevingham - but this was several years ago.
DavidT
DavidT

Male

Back to top Go down

Exchange policy for calor gas bottles ? Empty exchange gas bottle

Post by focus Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:48 pm

i have just tried to exchange a dumpy bottle for a 6 kilo gas bottle at my local hardware shop (Bonnets of Stoke Ferry) and was told by the owner that Calor Gas policy is that you can no longer go up from a dumpy to a 6 kilo, because the 6 kilo bottle are so popular these days with camper vans that Calor feel they can make more money by insisting that you take out a new agreement at the cost of the hire of the cylinder of £28.56 and £19.04 for the 6kilos of gas. You can exchange the dumpy bottle for the larger bottle but that is all that you can do. You then finish up as I have now done with a redundant dumpy bottle. As my Talisman will only take 2 x 6kilo bottles in the locker, I have no alternative. Regards Debroy.
focus
focus

Auto-Sleeper : Talisman

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:06 pm

Hi there,

In over 45 years of exchanging Calor Gas bottles (from small to humongous and from butane to propane) I have NEVER had to take out a new agreement.

When touring I use the dumpy butane ones, when at home I use the bigger butane ones and in Scotland in winter I use propane.

In theory, I am still using the four Calor Gas bottles that my Dad bought back in about 1964! I am what is known in business as a "customer" and I have been loyal to Calor Gas for over 45 years.

In view of this, I hope that Calor manage to forego the siren charms of "Quick Profit" as there are now a few dozen competitors out there if we all decided to switch!

Best regards,

Dutto drinksallround
Dutto
Dutto
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Exchange policy for calor gas bottles ? Empty Re: Exchange policy for calor gas bottle

Post by whisky Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:25 pm

I agree with Dutto about this, Having used and changed all sizes of gas cylinders with 45years in the plumbing trade and having either caravan or motorhomes for 35years without a problem. This must amount to a tremendous amount of gas bought from Calor. I would say that I am also a customer. So if they try that trick on me I also will find another supplier. ( Calor should have a viewing of these posts)

Whisky.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
whisky
whisky

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:27 pm

Paulmold wrote:Thanks for that. Having checked the link for the price of standard 6kg I see that it's £18.00. So 6kg of gas is not the same price in different cylinders, I wonder why? I'll ask Calor.

Emailed Calor twice now and still not got a reply to this question.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bertb Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:10 pm

FWIW I swapped a small, 10lb(3.5kg), butane for a 6kg propane at our local marina. And our Morrisons seem only to stock butane here in Burton on Trent. As for the difference in gas price Lite v standard, Calor want to get their investment back as fast as possible.
bertb
bertb

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:27 am

bertb wrote: Calor want to get their investment back as fast as possible.

I have no qualms about paying a premium per kilo for my gas - but having to pay for a new contract is out of order; it's Calor that have changed the bottle system NOT the Customers.

We left Skeggy on 7th September and are still on the first "dumpy" bottle. As we are in Spain until next March it will be "salad and coffee only" if we finish the first bottle before the end of this month. (Alternatively, I may try and get The Boss to spend some money!)

FYI we NEVER use gas for the fridge if we aren't sure of an ongoing supply of gas. We checked over a period of seven years and, on our boat, that tiny flame burning away 24/7 meant a difference of three weeks usage before a 13kg cylinder ran out!

Hope Calor respond to our emails.

Best regards,

Dutto drinksallround
Dutto
Dutto
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Exchange policy for calor gas bottles ? Empty gas exchange

Post by dash Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:55 pm

exchanged a dumpy and a 7 butane at alan kerr moterhome for 2x6 lites.
so it all depend on the people you deal with.
also ended up with my nuevo so its dangerous exchanging bottles at dealers.

dave('allthumbz')
dash
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Devon
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next