The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help aircon fault

4 posters

Go down

Help aircon fault Empty Help aircon fault

Post by crisp Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:13 am

just turned on the aircon to have it pop and trip house and van circuit boards. There was a brief pop from the rear of the unit. I guess something has shorted since I cannot reset the trips in the van. Looked at the handbook but no advice on how to even open the thing. Any suggestions would be welcomed.
crisp
crisp
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire

Back to top Go down

Help aircon fault Empty Re: Help aircon fault

Post by dbroada Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:18 am

Habitation air con? If so the start up current is stated as being quite high. Having said that we have never tripped even a 6A MCB on start up but we were using it often (we weren't sure of the gas heating at one stage so we used the air con) and it may not have needed an extra boost starting.

As for getting to any circuits, sorry - no idea. so_sad

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Stolen)
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by crisp Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:25 am

Yes habitation aircon. fairly sure it must be a short form whats happened, but the handbook is useless just assumes you will take it to an an authorised dealer
crisp
crisp
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:40 am

goneoff
back in the days before I could afford a Haynes manual I bought a cheap series of manuals. These had such advice as "Starting the engine? Too difficult for an untrained mechanic - take it to the nearest trained mechanic."  OK, not exactly that low but nearly everthing from changing a light bulb came in that category.

Which part are you trying to get to? The elctronics within the air con unit? And is it a roof mounted Truma like ours? I'll have a look in my manual later although I suspect the advice will be the same.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Stolen)
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by crisp Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:38 pm

Thanks for the offer its a domestic freshet. Just trying to open the filter area would be a start, or working out which fuse it's off that way I could have the rest of the van working.
crisp
crisp
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:09 pm

What has it tripped? One of the over-current circuit breakers or the RCD? If the former then just trial and error with the MCBs should tell you which one it is. If the latter it may be more problematic depending on where the fault is.

It would not be unusual for water ingress into an appliance to cause an earth leakage fault - though your description of a pop from the unit itself suggests that it may be an over-current fault...
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:07 pm

Looking at the Freshjet you will see the air inlet filter.  At the middle of one side (left hand from front) you will see an indentation. That's where you lever up.  If I recall there are two nibs one either side of the indentation which will pop out with a little effort, but they are tight, and then one each in the middle of front and back of the unit - those two are even stiffer and quite frightening to open. If you can it would be useful to put a hair drier onto the three sides of the unit to warm the plastic so that the nibs don't shatter.  That will expose the inside and hopefully the connections and the problem.
Manual is here:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Male

Member Age : 82
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by crisp Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:13 pm

Thank you both for your responses. I have now got the filter down and had a quick look inside, no obvious indications of anything wrong. Looks like a trip to Marquis again, another day wasted and bank balance hammered I expect.
crisp
crisp
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down