The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cab Aircon

4 posters

Go down

Cab Aircon Empty Cab Aircon

Post by justjames Wed 17 Jul 2013 - 15:42

Having had the Nuevo since the end of March with the dealer's 3 year warranty, last week we discovered the cab aircon did not work. Rang the dealer  to be asked if I ran it regularly as I was supposed to. Admitted that I didn't so was given the impression this would be my fault. Spoke to the service manager who said they would need to assess it. When? In 5 weeks. That is when we are off to Scotland for 4 weeks so as useful as a chocolate fireguard. So not only will they dodge the warranty issue they can't do it anyway.

What value is the warranty and can you trust a dealer that has just had £30K off you? fight
justjames
justjames

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Cab Aircon Empty Re: Cab Aircon

Post by Guest Wed 17 Jul 2013 - 16:46

Hi JustJames
Go back to your dealer and make a fuss. Warranties vary so much, but often this is when you find out just how good (or bad) your dealer is.

Good luck
John
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Wed 17 Jul 2013 - 16:54

justjames wrote:Rang the dealer  to be asked if I ran it regularly as I was supposed to. Admitted that I didn't so was given the impression this would be my fault.

The base vehicle Owner's Manual is almost certain to stipulates that the aircon must be run regularly, so you made a mistake in admitting this.

However, there is no way that it should have gone from fully operational to non-operational in less than 4 months. Of course they will ~tell~ you that they ran the aircon regularly while it was on their forecourt, but you can bet they didn't...

I reckon you can stand your ground on this one. If they refer to your admission, say that what you meant was you only ran it about once a month, which you don't consider to be that "regularly" (once a month should be fine in reality).
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Wed 17 Jul 2013 - 18:42

We run our 2 cars aircon about once every week or so during the winter as well, this prevents the 'o' rings drying out & thus allowing the gas to escape.

One of the cars went a bit pear-shaped & luckily for me, a neighbour opposite runs a mobile aircon business, he evacuated the system, & re-charged it 

& its been fine for over 18 months now, so there's a good chance that a top-up or recharge is all that's required.

It's not expensive & doesn't take very long to do.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Gram Wed 17 Jul 2013 - 21:19

It doesn't take five weeks to assess if the aircon is working or not.

Under the bonnet, the aircon rubber pipes are obvious.  If these are getting cold while the engine is running and the aircon is on then I suspect there is more to it than merely recharging the system.

G
Gram
Gram

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by justjames Thu 18 Jul 2013 - 10:04

Thanks for all the comments. Have booked the vehicle in to a local garage for assessment so will take it from there. Have driven cars with aircon for many years and this issue has never arison. I suppose with a motorhome that may be on the drive for a couple of months or more over the winter it becomes an issue. I would have expected a good dealer to raise the issue on handover.

As for the 5 week wait, the dealer has just downsized their service facility and I suspect are trying to get a quart into a pint pot, but whatever I don't think they will be able to provide a good service with a waiting time like this. I suspect they don't really want to know and they probably don't service aircon themselves so would have to farm the job out (at a cost).

The previous owner of the van who is in Abergavenny may be able to shed light on the problem. I think he is a member of the forum but may not now have an Autosleeper.

Jim
justjames
justjames

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Thu 18 Jul 2013 - 15:19

I know that you've booked it in, but here's something you can try, with the aircon button pressed in & the fan on, (it wont work otherwise )

& the engine ticking over, there is usually a slight rise in engine rpm when its switched  OFF & then it slows a bit when switched back on, this 

'loading' of the engine is due to the aircon electric clutch being engaged, if you get NO difference, then the clutch may be stuck, a bit of WD40

& a 'clout' on the clutch usually sorts it:hugegrins:

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down