The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rant about BT and Internet

+10
PLOUGHLIN
Askit
Paulmold
chrisvesey
mikethebike
oldfred
Peter Brown
Gromit
peugeotboxer
groundhog
14 posters

Go down

Rant about BT and Internet Empty Rant about BT and Internet

Post by groundhog Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:30 am

Went out and bought a new Dell all in one, it looks really nice ( that is the important bit) and is seems lightning fast except I have no idea about windows10 yet!

BUT.....

I have BT infinity with a home hub3 and standard old BT modem, wirelessly it is absolutely useless, keeps dropping out and is as slow as a tortoise. Added a BT homespot range extender wireless thingy and that isn't much better!

BT will not replace the home hub unless I take out another contract which I am not prepared to do at this time and of course the hub is now my problem but they will sell me a more up to date one. So I am paying for Infinity broadband and getting two baked bean cans and a piece of string. Not their problem though is it.  I have no idea how to improve things, I just need a simple old pensioners explanation my decaying brain can understand.  Bought a book to explain it but even that is written in gibberish unless you have a degree in computer speak!

So come on all what do I do, I believe you can buy a router with built in ADSL(?) whatever that is and dump the modem as well as the hub3 but will that still work with my BT homespot located the other end of Groundhog Castle?

I wish I knew what the hell I was talking about, I am now sorely hacked off with the whole damned lot so a long bath and a stiff drink is the only option...

Thanks for allowing the rant any suggestions really welcome before I ask my six year old Grand daughter who probably knows more about it than I do!!

tap_fingerstap_fingerscensored!censored!censored!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Rant about BT and Internet Empty Re: Rant about BT and Internet

Post by peugeotboxer Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:43 am

I phoned BT and insisted that they replace my modem as it was faulty, kept dropping out etc etc and I would cancel my contract.
After standing my ground they sent me a replacement modem which just happened to be a Homehub 4 which was the latest product then. (The 5 wasn't out then)

PB

ps. the first part wasn't entirely truthful   Whistle1
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:08 am

Yes Hog, do what PB said.

Just calmly and quietly keep repeating, "I am paying you for a service that I am not receiving, so please cancel my contract!". After a while you will be put onto someone else who will try again to bamboozle (or bully) you, but if you don't falter you will win in the end.

Treat it as a bit of a game and you won't get worked up at their intransigence, and spoil it all by saying what you are thinking! snigger

Dave

Dave
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:29 pm

The proliferation of wireless devices used by you and your neighbours means interference is a real problem and wireless speeds are significantly reduced by error correction activities.

First connect machine to router via cable and run a BT speed check to find the performance of your broadband then run the same check via wireless. If wireless is much slower then get free software to check what other wireless is on what channel in your vicinity then change your router from auto channel select to a fixed channel that is not being used nearby.

BT home hub 4 and newer have two frequency bands so much more capacity with new devices but are still vulnerable to interference.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by oldfred Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:00 pm

I've had a hub 5 since I signed up to BT infinity. It works fine with iplayer in HD on the main TV.

Also I can watch tele and listen to the radio anywhere in the house on smartphone or tablet.

And the BT WiFi app on my smartphone lets me get the internet and make free phone calls outside other people's houses (if they have bt) even when I'm sitting in the car.

Oops - I'm in the grumpy section. BT is far too expensive.
oldfred
oldfred

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:11 pm

Yes we can still stream a film while the 4 kids and 3 grandkids are all finger skimming!

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:45 pm

We're hoping to have "Infinity" available very soon. They have laid the fibre optic cable outside the house so it shouldn't be long now.

No complaints about BT from me, apart from their rather "pushy" sales personnel! My Home Hub started dropping the signal at frequent intervals, and I had to argue quite strongly to get a replacement without having to sign a new contract. 

In fact I am happy with their service and would have been quite willing to sign, but I didn't see why I should be bullied into it by using the provision of a new hub as an excuse to make me extend the contract.

After throwing a minor (and polite smile! ) strop, a new hub was despatched and normal service was resumed.

Dave
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:06 pm

Gromit wrote:

After throwing a minor (and polite smile! ) strop, a new hub was despatched and normal service was resumed.

Dave
That's the way to do it Dave.
Actually two days after receiving my replacement Homehub, another one arrived in the post!!

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:31 pm

Peter Brown wrote:Yes we can still stream a film while the 4 kids and 3 grandkids are all finger skimming!
Might i ask what download speed you are getting?

Regards

Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:08 pm

mikethebike wrote:
Might i ask what download speed you are getting?

Regards

Micky
Just run a test over wifi and leaving the phones/ipad connected (worst case scenario) and the download speed was just over 60MB

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:26 pm

Thanks Peter.  Lucky you. Must be fibre optic!!

Down here in the backwaters it is 24 Mbps on a quiet day/time. This morning at around 10am i had around 1M.
This is TalkTalk with fast ? x5 broadband ,just one of our 6 Wifi machines on.

Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:28 pm

mikethebike wrote:Thanks Peter.  Lucky you. Must be fibre optic!!

Down here in the backwaters it is 24 Mbps on a quiet day/time. This morning at around 10am i had around 1M.
This is TalkTalk with fast ? x5 broadband ,just one of our 6 Wifi machines on.

Micky

Its BT infinity. The fibre comes to about 500m away then its the original copper (broadband routed via a modem link).

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisvesey Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:42 pm

Hi,
My set up is the same as Peter, I get 37 mbps at the moment and have the latest bt modem with the blue light. However sometimes it freezes and the samsung tablet I use shows nothing happening on the upload/download indicator, could this be a fault on the tablet?
Chris
chrisvesey
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : sold it
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:01 am

So after just over an hour on the phone with BT I still do not have a new router for free. Had I been in contract then they would have sent one but I am not, only on a rolling contract. "Take out a new contract and we will send one for free". Ok then if I am not in contract I get all the benefits of a new customer, reduced rates etc. "Yes we can authorise that and your bill will reduce by £2.50 a month"... BIG DEAL!

"How do we know if we send you a new router you will not just sell it on ebay if you are not in contract!!!"  

A complaint has been raised (pointless by their own admission).

I was told if I want to cancel the contract "Sorry to see you go."

Next move is considering  part paying my bill with a letter explaining and see what reaction that brings.

Of course I could just go and buy a decent router or find a new supplier, sad as I have found BT excellent in the past!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:51 am

Buy a Hub 5 from EBay yourself, anything from £10 to £20. Obviously lots of people do what they don't want you to do.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:35 am

Well, you lucky people with your download speeds Whistle1 We're located in the most populated part of Scotland and our download speed on AOL, via BTs copper wire, is a thumping.........4.93mbps (no, the decimal point is not in the wrong place  scratch head)

I've heard tell that you folk in the south no longer use the quill and ink   lol4

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:50 am

Your'e lucky. 5 miles from Cambridge, 2.4Mb/s down, 0,36 Mb/s up. scratch head

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike187 Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:03 am

Guaranteed 50 Mb/sec without BT involvement, Kingston Communication fibre to the house, could have 250Mb/sec if I wanted to pay extra.allthumbz

Sorry didn't mean to gloat!

Mike
Mike187
Mike187
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:19 am

PLOUGHLIN wrote:Your'e lucky. 5 miles from Cambridge, 2.4Mb/s down, 0,36 Mb/s up. scratch head
inside the M25, 2.38Mbps down, 0.61Mbps up so not much difference using BT copper. Fibre is apparently available in our road but they only put in a couple of points in the junction box just across the road so not available to me.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Stolen)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:27 am

tap_fingers As long as we have been internet using we have gone from NTL to Virgin. BT cant guarantee a good service in this corner of Lincolnshire. They keep calling us making all kinds of fancy deals. I let them waffle on until they ask were we live,  they have even offered to call back when its resolved, I am still waiting. My little man that fixes our computers recons this is a poor reception area for most internet things. The dishes for Virgin are only about a mile away across town.
Not needing the internet for anything too vital I manage by booting the plug as a last resort. twiddle_thumbs
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:46 am

Result.... After numerous (5) phone calls, complaints, hours hanging on the phone refusing to go away, cancelling my standing order I now have a brand new free hub5 coming tomorrow, a new 12 month contract at a lower price than currently, excellent mobile deal and £50 voucher to spend in the BT shop as compensation.

I knew we would get there in the end!!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:33 am

We get a pretty fair speed at home, though the village BT exchange building is at the back of the garden of the house opposite the copper cable has to travel a quarter of a mile up the main road then branch left up a side road, then left again into our road and round the quarter mile back again to us. So in line of sight it's 50 yds or so but to get to us it's over half a mile.

Then they've installed Fibre to Cable cabinets along the main road and anybody there can have superfast, but nobody will say when FTTC cabinets will be fitted in the side roads.

On holiday in Cornwall last summer and even the seashore pub miles from anywhere had superfast and last Spring in Clun in deepest Shropshire, known as Clun the quietest place under the sun, there were signs advertising superfast.

Here 4 miles from Keele Uni Campus and 2 miles from the edge of Crewe superfast is just creeping in.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down