The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tesco's "Policy" on motorhome parking.

+4
murph
further
peugeotboxer
Dutto
8 posters

Go down

Tesco's "Policy" on motorhome parking. Empty Tesco's "Policy" on motorhome parking.

Post by Dutto Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:02 pm

Hi there,

I'm not sure when or where, but I read somewhere that Tesco had a policy that allowed motorhomes to park overnight in their car parks.

We have used the system a couple of times travelling up to Scotland without a problem.

Last night however we came within a gnats whisker of being charged £70 for the privilege!!

We swung off the M20 into a Tesco Extra car park near Maidstone. The car park had oodles of space so we went into a nice dark corner out of the way of everyone. I took a walk around and saw a small, dimly lit, notice with the following message:

"You have complained that you cannot find a parking space. In view of this, after three hours of free parking, you agree to pay £70. We will use our number-plate recognition system to contact the DVLC and send he invoice to your home."

We have previously checked with the Tesco staff before settling down for the night so we followed normal procedure and Helen went to have a word with a man in the yellow jacket. "The sign is correct. Tesco don't even own the car park dearie." ("Dearie?" it's a wonder she didn't nut him!)

So, having travelled from the south of Spain sleeping overnight in Service Station Car Parks we finally get to "Rip Off Britain" where motorists are moved on like itinerant lepers or charged through the nose for non-existent services!

"SEVENTY QUID FOR A NIGHT IN A CAR PARK?" as Mr. McEnroe would say "You cannot be serious!"

Rant over - back to the €2.99 a bottle 40% alcohol gin with a splash of tonic and lemon. allthumbz

Best regards,

drinksallround

Last edited by Dutto on Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Seem to have pasted)

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Tesco's "Policy" on motorhome parking. Empty Tesco's "Policy" on motorhome parking.

Post by peugeotboxer Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:30 am

Could it be that it's a Tesco Express and not a supermarket store?
Perhaps it's a different policy for their own car park.

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Tesco's "Policy" on motorhome parking. Empty Re: Tesco's "Policy" on motorhome parking.

Post by further Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:48 pm

I'm sorry, but I just can't understand why anyone would want to stay in a car park overnight, when there are so many other much nicer places to stay.
Chris
further
further

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Gatcombe

Back to top Go down

Tesco's "Policy" on motorhome parking. Empty Tesco's policy

Post by murph Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:07 pm

Hi Chris,
If you are simply want an overnight stop, and will be moving on early in the morning particularly if you are tired , it is any port in a storm, particularly at this time of the year you can't see a nice view or pleasent suroundings anyway.

Brian

Last edited by murph on Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:10 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : just spotted christian name)
murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 85
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down

Tesco's "Policy" on motorhome parking. Empty Re: Tesco's "Policy" on motorhome parking.

Post by roli Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:00 pm

You could well have got off a late ferry and cant find a site,
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:55 am

Hi there,

We had driven up from Perpignan. On day one we overnighted on the peagé. On day two we dawdled up to Paris so that we tackled the peripherique at 1am on day three. (Traffic was still very heavy and next time we will make it 3am! Incidentally, if you need a bit of excitement in your life then try circling Paris during normal daylight hours. A French friend of ours once cut up and upset one of the motorcycle couriers that zoom in and out of traffic. He knew he had upset someone when he heard the thumps and bangs as the courier kicked the offside door of his car into a fine imitation of a pewter mug; whilst travelling at 100 kilometres an hour!!)

Anyway, we then caught an evening train on The Tunnel and were at Maidstone at about 6pm and looking forward to a decent break to avoid the M25 and Dartford Tunnel evening mayhem.

The reason we finished up at Tesco EXTRA (not Express) was that we couldn't get into the one motorway service area we stopped at because the "caravan parking" section AND the "lorry parking" section were both chockablock with lorries!

Best regards,

drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Tesco's "Policy" on motorhome parking. Empty Re: Tesco's policy on MH parking.

Post by Guest Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:57 pm

Hi Dut,
I dont think there is a charge for parking at Tesco Riverhead (Sevenoaks) or Sidcup, both not too far off your M20 route. Worth checking out! (no pun intended!) OR, if you realy get stuck for an overnighter, PM us, in reasonable time, and we may be able to help (we live 3-5 miles off M20/M25)
allthumbz
Mike and Chris.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by great preservations Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:58 pm

1b449 wrote:Hi Dut,
I dont think there is a charge for parking at Tesco Riverhead (Sevenoaks) or Sidcup, both not too far off your M20 route. Worth checking out! (no pun intended!) OR, if you realy get stuck for an overnighter, PM us, in reasonable time, and we may be able to help (we live 3-5 miles off M20/M25)
allthumbz
Mike and Chris.

there is also a car park in Tonbridge between Sainsbury's and Waitrose which is council and is free from 6pm until 8 am. As it does not belong to either store it is reasonably quiet overnight too.
great preservations
great preservations

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : duetto 2004

http://www.bibathemusical.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:54 pm

Hi there,

Many thanks, but I think we will go back to our normal practice of using ferries leaving very early (on the way out) or very late (coming back) and then sneaking around London in the dead of night! allthumbz

Best regards,

drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Tesco's "Policy" on motorhome parking. Empty Possible empty threat!

Post by zizzeddu Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:11 pm

The £70 parking fine may be an empty threat. Two years ago I received a parking ticket after leaving my car on a hotel car park over night. I was traced by number plate recognition and was offered the chance to pay £60 by return post or £120 if they had to contact me again. I Googled 'parking fines' and found plenty of evidence that they cannot enforce the fine. It is normal to receive two threatening letters then if you don't respond, the matter is dropped. Being a gambler, I decided to test the theory and ignored both letters. Two years later, I have not received a third letter or had to pay a fine!
Keith
zizzeddu
zizzeddu

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Billy Ruffian Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:02 pm

Tesco CEO has a motorhome which is why motorhoming customers are allowed to overnight in their car parks. Permission is required though from the duty manager - and he'll tell you if they don't own the car park.

Billy Ruffian
Billy Ruffian
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo 2 ES
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down