The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nuevo rattle

+3
jimthefish
peugeotboxer
janetf2979
7 posters

Go down

Nuevo rattle Empty Nuevo rattle

Post by janetf2979 Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:17 pm

We have just bought a second hand Nuevo (05) and the heater is driving us mad with is rattling. Is this a fault on this model? Any advice please?
Janet
janetf2979
janetf2979

Female

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Nuevo rattle Empty Re: Nuevo rattle

Post by peugeotboxer Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:45 pm

Hi janetf2979

Is it the vehicle heater or the 'van' heater?

Also please take a moment to 'say hello'

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Nuevo rattle Empty rattle

Post by jimthefish Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:48 pm

Hi Janet. If its the heater in the van under the wardrobe, take off the control knob and the front cover, on the bottom left hand side there is a bolted on part (can't remember what its for) but it comes loose as the heat distorts the material and it then taps the outer cover. I have to re fix mine every couple of years. Jim
jimthefish
jimthefish

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by hillwalker Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:20 pm

Hi Janet,

this thread might help

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

"H"

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76

Back to top Go down

Post by janetf2979 Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:10 am

Thankyou very much for this thread - there are a lot of suggestions here that we will start working through. I'm glad to know it is not just our problem.
Janet
janetf2979
janetf2979

Female

Member Age : 73

Back to top Go down

Nuevo rattle Empty nuevo rattle

Post by happyhelen Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:44 pm

Hi All,

Thanks so much for your words of wisdom about the heater rattle.
We found one on our Nuevo.
It drove us mad on a trip to Scotlamd last Easter and I resorted to laying in the back and pressing and touching all round to find it. I did locate it to the heater but we never got to the bottom of it and it became intermittent.
Will look to sort it before we set off for our continental trip in Aug.

Thanks

Happy Helen
happyhelen
happyhelen

Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:15 am

The Trumatic Heater is an excellent piece of kit and is the only space heater available for vans that works without consuming electricity from the Leisure battery. We rally in cold conditions and it is often, on fuelled by gas, 24hr for 3 or 4 days. It is very economic in the use of gas. I will not have a van without this heater.

It is however prone to rattles.

The gas heater is fixed to the floor and the external case to the wall. The floor and wall do not flex in sympathy so the internal gas heater moves in relation to the case as the vehicle moves. Without the optional electric heating element that is not a problem but all Autosleeper installations have that element and it reduces the clearance considerably. When the electric element hits the gas heater you really hear it. The position of the gas heater can be 'tweaked' by putting thin spacers under the base plate at strategic spots to improve the alignment.

The electric element is held in place by metal clips which are fixed by screws to the back of the casing. The screws that hold the clips are prone to come loose and then the element rattles. The mounting plate for the clips also eases away from the case and the movement between the two causes more noise. There is an outer casing on the back of the unit that stops you getting at the screw heads. To get at those screw heads involves removing the whole unit and having to disconnect the gas and flue, both of which require expert attention to re-seal and test on re-assembly. The screws are self tappers and the pointy end protrudes through the clip. I have successfully tightened them with pliers on that end and used thread lock to keep them there.

Peter
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Nuevo rattle Empty Nuevo Rattle

Post by murph Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:57 am

Another cause a of a heater rattle that I havent sen mentioned is, the fins on the front touching one another, or the heater case, they are very thin aand will bend straight very easily.

Brian
murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down