The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

central locking issue

4 posters

Go down

central locking issue  Empty central locking issue

Post by Plymouthwelshboy Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:08 pm

hello all. I have read all the posts about the central locking button not always working from the fob on an autosleeper broadway. After trying all the tips and listening to the clunks and watching the step going up and down but the door not locking - I discovered that the contacts are misaligned. A new door hinge was fitted sometime ago by the dealer under warranty but the moho is now out of warranty and they don't want to know at moment!!

The contact on the door is slightly lower than the one on the door frame - when I removed the door one and taped it further up the door - the central locking immediately worked with no problem. However, as you will see from the photo I cannot secure this contact in its new higher up position as the bottom screw required would basically go into the oval hole where the rear of the contacts sits and there is nothing for it to go into.

I could move the frame contact down  - this would mean elongating the oval hole it sits in on the lower end - but then I run into the same problem - the upper screw will just go into the top part of the oval hole and have nothing to go into. 

I wondered whether just siliconing the frame contact into its new place would work without putting in the upper screw?

I'm no engineer - so I am really open to any suggestions here - I don't think my temporary duct tape fix is sufficient though.

I can live with using the key to lock and unlock the habitation door - so it isn't a problem - more an irritation.

Any suggestions/thoughts greatly appreciated as always - TIA
steve 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Plymouthwelshboy
Plymouthwelshboy

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB 2019
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

central locking issue  Empty Re: central locking issue

Post by Suppersready Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:57 pm

As I manufacturing fault from build ( rather than a failure within warranty period ) are you not entitled to have this rectified by AS ?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Corinium FB
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:13 am

I wouldn't be entirely confident about silicone sealant in a case like that. It might hold up Ok but it does have a tendency to peel away from plastics.

Assuming you're sure that the new position will remain good and won't need further adjustment, I'd use something like Loctite Extreme repair glue (used to be called Unibond Repair Extreme, but the makers Henkel keep changing the name).

It's a very good glue for metal to plastic, as it can be applied accurately and peeled away if needed - albeit with a lot more effort than a silicone sealant!
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Gee Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:14 am

Might sound a bit silly but how about Command Adhesive Strips.  I used one as a temporary repair on the old van when we were on a trip, intending to do a proper repair when we got back, 3 years later it was still in place when we eventually sold the van.

Easy to apply and remove and they do have good bonding qualities (well, better than duct tape anyway.  Would do the job until you figure out exactly how you want to fix it permanently
Dave Gee
Dave Gee

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Plymouthwelshboy Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:15 pm

great ideas guys - thank you - will investigate further
Plymouthwelshboy
Plymouthwelshboy

Male