The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Key doesn't fit habitation door on Broadway

+4
Pug boxter
burlingtonboaby
roli
Sandpiper
8 posters

Go down

Key doesn't fit habitation door on Broadway Empty Key doesn't fit habitation door on Broadway

Post by Sandpiper Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:45 am

Hi all, we picked up our '09 Broadway from Marquis Northampton in September but have just discovered a strange problem. The fob key doesn't fit the habitation door, or the floor safe. I only found out because the remote locking packed to the hab. door in last night so I tried to lock it manually - it had never even occurred to me to try it before. The key literally won't go into the lock aperture although it fits the cab door okay. So, we can't lock up the motorhome and were intending to go away for a couple of nights on Sunday. Not sure how we stand with insurance either. I'll be speaking to Marquis today but it obviously won't be sorted til next week now at best. Any thoughts would be gratefully received.

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK

Back to top Go down

Key doesn't fit habitation door on Broadway Empty Re: Key doesn't fit habitation door on Broadway

Post by roli Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:40 am

I saw this last weekend on a Broadway. (Not the key issue thats down to Marquis - didnt they do a handover ?)

On the van concerned it was down to a fuse, dont ask me me where (but if Peter sees this post - it was Neils Van did he tell you?)

There has been issues with these doors. some due to misalignment of the contacts on the door assembly.

Also do a forum search - about 7/10 days ago another member had problems with a Broadway door
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Key doesn't fit habitation door on Broadway Empty Re: Key doesn't fit habitation door on Broadway

Post by burlingtonboaby Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:11 am

Sandpiper wrote:Hi all, we picked up our '09 Broadway from Marquis Northampton in September but have just discovered a strange problem. The fob key doesn't fit the habitation door, or the floor safe. I only found out because the remote locking packed to the hab. door in last night so I tried to lock it manually - it had never even occurred to me to try it before. The key literally won't go into the lock aperture although it fits the cab door okay. So, we can't lock up the motorhome and were intending to go away for a couple of nights on Sunday. Not sure how we stand with insurance either. I'll be speaking to Marquis today but it obviously won't be sorted til next week now at best. Any thoughts would be gratefully received.

Hi Sandpiper
I have a 09 Nuevo EK es, the ignition fob key locks the front door only and the wee black key that locks the gas/wet lockers is used for the hab door aswell.
It could be different on the Broadway, my remote key fob locks the front doors and hab door when the cobra alarm is activated.
hope this helps wave
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Pug boxter Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:26 am

burlingtonboaby wrote:

Hi Sandpiper
I have a 09 Nuevo EK es, the ignition fob key locks the front door only and the wee black key that locks the gas/wet lockers is used for the hab door aswell.

I bet that will be embarrassing if it's as simple as that.
Pug boxter
Pug boxter

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by DuxDeluxe Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:31 pm

I've got a Broadway and the round fob black key for the lockers is the one that fits the habitation door, but it also centrally locks on ours (and I thought would do so on yours but sometimes the contacts fail/don't contact properly - a well known fault with this brand of door). The safe has a separate key which has a black square(ish) fob.

Hope that helps and best of luck. Nice van! hugegrins

Edit - a pretty poor handover from Marquis if they didn't show you that shrugg
DuxDeluxe
DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway Crown

Back to top Go down

Post by DuxDeluxe Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:39 pm

Re - reading the post, the central locking failure could (probably is) one of two things

1) Misalignment caused by slight door sag which takes the contacts out of line. Fixed by opening the window and slacking off the door hinge bolts slightly according to Mark at A/S. never done this myself
2) more likely is the failure of the wires leading to the door contacts. You need to prise out the plastic plugs on the back of the contact box, unscrew the cover and then fix the wire. Apparently it is quite a common failing but very easy to fix.

If your van is still under the famous Marquis warranty then they should be able to fix this while you wait if they are any good at customer service. up!
DuxDeluxe
DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:58 pm

Same as Boaby & Dux our Nuevo uses a small key to open both the lockers and manually open the habitation door... only time our door has played up was when as roli and Dux say it wasn't correctly aligned and the contacts were not making a good enough connection, finally after a number of attempts by the Auto-Sleeper service centre to rectify this I'm pleased to say it's now locking and unlocking remotely from the fob every time along with the cab central locking.

CC

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by DuxDeluxe Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:05 pm

The door also has a double latch - sometimes it is not quite shut. Like a car door.........
DuxDeluxe
DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Key doesn't fit habitation door on Broadway Empty Does it have central locking?

Post by Chinaexplorer Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:00 pm

My 2010 Broadway does not have central locking on the hab door. It is linked into the alarm system but has to be locked manually. The key is the same one that fits all the lockers, but the safe is a different key altogether. The cab key only fits the ignition, front doors and fuel filler.
smiley_balloons
Chinaexplorer
Chinaexplorer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK

Back to top Go down

Key doesn't fit habitation door on Broadway Empty Central Locking and keys

Post by Peter Brown Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:54 pm

Life was so much simpler without it.

Via a Sargent interface unit the vehicle central locking can lock/unlock the habitation door however the door open detection is not so connected so that if a cab door is not opened within two minutes of the unlock operation all doors re-lock. I have personally witnessed one Peugeot and one Ford owner being locked out as a result and in both cases a professional 'break in' was required.

As mentioned elsewhere the most frequent problem with operation of the habitation door central locking is the screw connection of wiring to either door or frame contacts or alignment of the contacts themselves. I once spent a lot of time investigating the alignment of the contacts to eventually find that two of the three door hinges were loose! The problem Roli mentioned earlier was actually a complete failure of the vehicle central locking caused by a failed vehicle fuse - just one of those things.

To clarify keys on modern AS vans for those who are unfamiliar there are many permutations. On delivery there is the vehicle key that will open the Cab doors and start the engine, it will mostly include a wireless feature for the central locking as well (note the Ford central locking key fob does not have a replaceable battery and is charged whilst in the ignition. If not used for a long time it goes flat and the door has to be opened manually). On all vans a second 'caravan key' is supplied to operate the habitation door and external lockers.

Some AS models of a few years ago have independant remote locking of the habitation door with a second fob that also operates the main habitation lighting, there being no manual switch for those lights!

Post delivery alarm installations these days also operate by yet another wireless fob. A lot of these systems can be set to operate the central locking at the same time and some of the cleverer alarms can be sychronised to operate with the original vehicle fob.

If a habitation or locker door lock breaks it is seldom replaced with one that uses the original 'caravan key' so you end up with two of them that look the same!

Confused? You should be. After a couple of years a lot of vans have key/alarm systems that are unique. It is the responsibility of the supplying dealer to understand and commuicate to the buyer correct operation.

Peter
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down