The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Central Locking

2 posters

Go down

Central Locking Empty Central Locking

Post by AlanT Fri May 24, 2013 3:57 pm

Following my earlier problems with flat battery [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I've deliberately allowed my vehicle battery to discharge in situ for a couple of weeks. Again the central locking failed to operate but the LCD display showed the vehicle battery as having 9.8 volts.
Immediately I switched to Vehicle battery charging, the LCD indicated 13.8v and Central Locking was once again operative.

Now given I probably have a knackered vehicle battery, but should not 9.8v be sufficient to operate the central locking? Do I have a problem or is CL operation just amperage dependent?

Incidentally, Moderators, I find this site very useful and interesting. Most of all it's active! Many thanks!

Alan
AlanT
AlanT
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Sigma EK

Back to top Go down

Central Locking Empty Re: Central Locking

Post by Peter Brown Sun May 26, 2013 3:48 am

Lead acid batteries used to be called accumulators. When they are charged they accumulate energy. They relinquish that energy by discharging it into a load.

The battery voltage is a reliable indication as to how much energy is available in the battery. The fully discharged (no energy left) voltage is 11.7v with no load or 10.5v when connected to a load.

The Sargent unit indicates the voltage under load. If the reading is 9.8v there is no energy left in the battery so it cannot deliver any current. Your battery will be physically damaged and will no longer accumulate a significant charge. It is a costly business to discharge a battery to exhaustion.

Peter
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Central Locking Empty Re: Central Locking

Post by AlanT Sun May 26, 2013 10:17 am

Thanks, Peter, for your explanation. I was not aware of the discharged voltage threshold, but am now!

I came to just that conclusion, that my battery was knackered, yesterday when I found the battery getting hot whilst under charge - so it's a new battery required.

I did buy a small 4W solar charger a month or so ago which was successful in keeping the battery charged, but not at fully charged as I had hoped, so it should do well on a new battery which I will NOT allow to become fully discharged.

Thanks again

Best wishes
Alan

btw I have a Bonus PDU 4M unit, not Sargent, which seems to be very poorly documented, although I see from an earlier post on this forum that a lady in Warwick is very knowledgeable, should I need it
AlanT
AlanT
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Sigma EK

Back to top Go down