The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not so Smart Sargent Controler

3 posters

Go down

Not so Smart Sargent Controler Empty Not so Smart Sargent Controler

Post by Paul Bullas Mon May 29, 2023 5:14 pm

I have a 2021 Broadway FB and have often wondered if when the Active Battery is set to Vehicle would the smart setting change back to Leisure before it's too late. So with MH on front drive I gave it a test. After the second warning which is Very Low Vehicle Battery the voltage was 11.1 and the vehicle started no problem. I then discharged battery further until the Sargent Controler switched over to Leisure, the vehicle now would not start. Interestingly just a half hour of Solar at about 3amps was enough for vehicle to now start. If I was not selling the vehicle in September I think it would be worth fitting an independent voltage cut off, hopefully then when the Sargent senses no voltage from Vehicle Battery it will change to Leisure anyway. If we hear the first Low Vehicle Battery warning I always switch over at that point but interesting to know there is a second warning that still allows enough to start the engin.
Paul Bullas
Paul Bullas

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Not so Smart Sargent Controler Empty Re: Not so Smart Sargent Controler

Post by Dbvwt Mon May 29, 2023 5:26 pm

Sorry Paul, Sargent and Smart charging in the same sentence has been criticised for many years on here. It doesn’t take long to work that out after buying the van!!
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Not so Smart Sargent Controler Empty Re: Not so Smart Sargent Controler

Post by Caraman Tue May 30, 2023 7:06 am

What many of us have shown is that when the engine has stopped and there is no habitation load on the VB, which there shouldn't be, its preferable for the VB to receive a trickle charge with the main charge going to the LB rather than charging one battery at a time.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down