The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Garmin Drivesmart 76

3 posters

Go down

Garmin Drivesmart 76 Empty Garmin Drivesmart 76

Post by Dave 418 Sat May 20, 2023 5:46 pm

This is probably a silly question for the more tech savvy than me. I have activated the Traffic App for my Garmin using my I Pad. I don’t have an I Phone.
Do I need to be connected to my WiFi and have the I Pad switched on whist I am using the Garmin. shrugg
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Garmin Drivesmart 76 Empty Re: Garmin Drivesmart 76

Post by Dave 418 Wed May 24, 2023 11:30 pm

I thought an update regarding the Traffic App for my Garmin would be worth noting. 
We traveled as far as Edinburgh with it activated. WiFi enabled and I pad powered up but nothing showed up as expected as there were no delays.
On the outskirts of Edinburgh the Traffic stopped due to an accident. We were stationary for nearly an hour and nothing showed up on the Garmin suggesting a hold up or an alternative route. Maybe theres something I havnt set up right or the system didn’t know about the hold up but for now I have disabled the Traffic setting on the Garmin. 
With me only using the Garmin for trips away that are not critical to timings I havnt been too bothered about hold ups so it’s just an option that the Garmin came with so I wont bother for now.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Jacobite Wed May 24, 2023 11:51 pm

Dave 418 wrote:This is probably a silly question for the more tech savvy than me. I have activated the Traffic App for my Garmin using my I Pad. I don’t have an I Phone.
Do I need to be connected to my WiFi and have the I Pad switched on whist I am using the Garmin. shrugg
I don't think it's wifi/hotspot the devices are using to communicate. Pretty sure Garmin Apps "talk" to the ipad etc via bluetooth.
The Jacobite
The Jacobite

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Ravenna
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Thu May 25, 2023 7:58 am

Receiving Traffic Data Using Your Smartphone

Your device can receive subscription-free traffic data while connected to a smartphone running the Garmin Drive™ app.
Connect your device to the Garmin Drive app (Live Services, Traffic, and Smartphone Features).
On your Garmin DriveSmart™ device, select Settings > Traffic, and verify the Traffic option is selected.

See this link here Dave

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/GUID-6E5DFD2E-EEE4-4EF3-89BC-AACD1B4936C7/EN-US/GUID-D13706CA-CFA3-45EF-8648-03BF4F9722B5.html

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Thu May 25, 2023 12:38 pm

Thanks for all suggestions folks. The biggest problem I have with this tech stuff is that I am too much of a Luddite to bother with a smart phone. 
My I pad will do if I need WIFI . To be honest I find the I phones too small and complicated. People wandering about with their nose in a phone or playing with their smart watch things I don’t get.
Whilst filling up with diesel on the Isle of Skye a guy was trying to pay for fuel with his smart watch and having trouble. I just waved my card at the machine done and out without upsetting the rest of the customers. 
As long as the sat nav tells me we’re to go and warns me of speed limits that’s fine. The bigger screen and updated maps are a vast improvement to the old one so it’s not a total waste of money.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down