The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Garmin sat nav at Aldi

+3
meanchris
-mojo-
Askit
7 posters

Go down

Garmin sat nav at Aldi Empty Garmin sat nav at Aldi

Post by Askit Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:42 am

Model is the Garmin Drive 51 LMT-S EU at £99.99. Seems like a good deal, but only if the make and model appeals of course.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Garmin sat nav at Aldi Empty Re: Garmin sat nav at Aldi

Post by -mojo- Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:42 pm

And also (an observation I make from personal experience) if the deal is a good one, your local store will probably be allocated maybe ten - of which the staff will buy half before they even get onto the shelves...

If there's anything in their Specialbuys that I want, I've learnt to buy online with free delivery - some are "In store only" but this one isn't.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:05 pm

The DAB/FM transmitter might be of interest at £34.99 too, though the final picture of it with all its spaghetti wires is a bit off-putting.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/bauhn-dab-%26-fm-transmitter/p/083022197522500
meanchris

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:29 pm

The Sat Nav model number LMT should mean lifetime maps and traffic but the spec gives lifetime traffic but no mention of lifetime map updates.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:18 pm

Paulmold wrote:The Sat Nav model number LMT should mean lifetime maps and traffic but  the spec gives lifetime traffic but no mention of lifetime map updates.

Paul, it doesn't say it online but the Aldi leaflet does say that it includes lifetime map updates.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:19 pm

Not able to use vehicle dimensions though. twiddle_thumbs
meanchris

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:49 pm

i guess there are different views on how useful this 'function' is..
how many roads have actually been measured to alow comparison with your input?....AFAIK, only those (few) with a formal width restriction sign are 'known' to the mapping databases...
i can assure you that there are many a (unclassified/unmeasured) droves around here that would still be fair game for any satnav.
by far the best way to avoid small (slower) roads is to set the device to fastest route.....and then check where its sending you....
now, a 'proper' trucking satnav with trucking maps is a different scenario, but just inputting your dimentions wont necessarily save you (or anyone else) from taking a narrow road....this is down to eyes and instinct..
the 'input your size' satnavs dont yet have the detailled mapping behind them to be of any significant benefit.....IMHO, of course.

BTW, dont set any satnav to 'shortest route'....unless walking...
it will send you down the tiniest lane just to save a few feet...

good luck.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:58 pm

My 'input your size' sat nav will avoid bridges below my imputed height as well as only routing me on suitable roads. If the road hasn't been measured, and I insist on driving on such a road, it displays a symbol to tell me that it doesn't have the necessary info and 'it may be unsuitable' .

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:24 pm

Paulmold wrote:My 'input your size' sat nav will avoid bridges below my imputed height as well as only routing me on suitable roads. If the road hasn't been measured, and I insist on driving on such a road,  it displays a symbol to tell me that it doesn't have the necessary info and 'it may be unsuitable' .

up!
meanchris

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:46 pm

What are you using Paul.....satnav I mean!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:32 pm

groundhog wrote:What are you using Paul.....satnav I mean!

It's a Garmin Dezl560. It's either a C&CC or CAMC one but can't remember which as I have both clubs campsites and CS/CL's on it. It's a few years old now, bought secondhand off eBay. It has traffic on it as well.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:37 pm

Paulmold wrote:My 'input your size' sat nav will avoid bridges below my imputed height as well as only routing me on suitable roads. If the road hasn't been measured, and I insist on driving on such a road,  it displays a symbol to tell me that it doesn't have the necessary info and 'it may be unsuitable' .
yes, 'low' bridges are one of things that are measured and therefore known to the mapping database and are acted upon by the navigation algorithms.
my old Tom tom doesnt have 'dimensions' inputting, but Low Bridges are known as part of an installed POI file...and can be seen on the map screen.
....but loads and loads of roads that are (in reality) 'narrow' are not classified as such and are fair game for the navigation software....
you can test your device (perhaps in the car.....) by setting it to 'fastest route' (oe, take any short cut going) and see where it takes you, despite having inputted your dimensions....
most of the roads across the Levels, where we live, are virtually single track, but don't carry 'width limit' signs.
..but, obviously, where they are classified, the software will ignore them...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:18 pm

Exactly the issue I've considered for a long time to be the crucial drawback of "dedicated" lorry or motorhome satnavs.

In a nutshell, the algorithms can act on (or react to) only whatever data is contained within the mapping. If the map doesn't know the road gets narrow, it doesn't matter if you tell the satnav you are driving a 40 tonner, it will still send you down a goat track occasionally.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:46 pm

My sat navs are set these days to avoid motorways, since retiring from driving 60k miles per year for 20 years, I'm in no hurry to get anywhere.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:08 pm

Gromit wrote:Exactly the issue I've considered for a long time to be the crucial drawback of "dedicated" lorry or motorhome satnavs.

In a nutshell, the algorithms can act on (or react to) only whatever data is contained within the mapping. If the map doesn't know the road gets narrow, it doesn't matter if you tell the satnav you are driving a 40 tonner, it will still send you down a goat track occasionally.
tomtom has some models which are 'dedicated' truck or caravan units....the difference between these and normal units with 'size inputting' is the Mapping used...the truck/camper maps are a diferent set and must have some additional 'coding' in orsed to identify roads which should be ignored from navigation...
hence, the maps are an additional £80 or so......these can be overlaid onto some compatible units.
imbenerally stick to 'fastest route' and this will normally include A roads and motorway....
im happy to bimble around France and Spain at a slow trundle but prefer not to take a chance on being sent down a lovely UK lane....
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:06 am

I also input no motorways, I hate them, ever since that motor home that had broken down was on the hard shoulder and a lorry ploughed into it, they were three ladies with a lot of dogs going to a dog show, some dogs were killed, their friend from Austria I think it was, had life changing injuries, the lorry driver had fallen asleep, also it was on the TV yesterday, that as there is so much traffic, they open up the hard shoulder at times as another lane, so if you break down you are advised to get to the emergency laybys, not always possible, so could be broken down in a motorway lane, my friends two daughters also got killed when a lorry went into them on breaking down, they were on the hard shoulder, the driver  had of all things a stick of wood pressed on the accelerator pedal,  so he could have a nap, came out in court. I much prefer scenic routes as see places I didn`t know existed, so a double bonus, may take me longer to get there, but I am retired so no rush.I just enjoy the journey, not hurtling down motor ways, will leave that to the commuters.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:29 am

bolero boy wrote:tomtom has some models which are 'dedicated' truck or caravan units....the difference between these and normal units with 'size inputting' is the Mapping used...the truck/camper maps are a different set and must have some additional 'coding' in order to identify roads which should be ignored from navigation...
hence, the maps are an additional £80 or so......these can be overlaid onto some compatible units.
This is interesting.

Is it additional coding as such, or a set of hidden POIs? I don't know, but one method that was (is?) used to avoid low bridges was to employ a set of embedded POIs.

I'm a bit surprised Messrs Google haven't picked up on this one. Their camera cars don't miss very many roads, so if they had a width grid superimposed in their cameras they would have a continuous record of the road width. The grid need not show on the normal "Street View", but I'm sure it could be used by their electronic wizardry to identify any road which was, or became became too narrow somewhere along its length. These roads could then be "flagged" for large vehicle avoidance on the mapping software, and would exclude those silly short cuts which try to save a few seconds.

I doubt if satnavs can ever be completely idiot proof (whoops - I mean "driver" proof! Whistle1) but something like that would positively identify a good percentage of unsuitable roads.

Probably!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:33 am

Some of the crowd sourced apps like Waze can be better at selecting suitable routes, as they use driver feedback to categorise roads, not just raw map data.
meanchris

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:41 am

That's interesting.

There's a button on our TomTom App to report a speed camera, so it would presumably be just as easy to have one for reporting a narrow road?

The problem then would be "What counts as narrow?" and how do they differentiate between sensible reports, and those from "Nervous Nellies" in a big van for the first time, who need at least six feet on each side before they will go through a gap. (Or "Normans" of course - must be PC these days! snigger)

There's a fortune to be made for someone who produces a demonstrably foolproof satnav!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:50 am

hhere is the tomtom link to their camper mapsGromit wrote:
bolero boy wrote:tomtom has some models which are 'dedicated' truck or caravan units....the difference between these and normal units with 'size inputting' is the Mapping used...the truck/camper maps are a different set and must have some additional 'coding' in order to identify roads which should be ignored from navigation...
This is interesting.

Is it additional coding as such, or a set of hidden POIs? I don't know, but one method that was (is?) used to avoid low bridges was to employ a set of embedded POIs.

I'm a bit surprised Messrs Google haven't picked up on this one. Their camera cars don't miss very many roads, so if they had a width grid superimposed in their cameras they would have a continuous record of the road width. The grid need not show on the normal "Street View", but I'm sure it could be used by their electronic wizardry to identify any road which was, or became became too narrow somewhere along its length. These roads could then be "flagged" for large vehicle avoidance on the mapping software, and would exclude those silly short cuts which try to save a few seconds.

I doubt if satnavs can ever be completely idiot proof (whoops - I mean "driver" proof! Whistle1) but something like that would positively identify a good percentage of unsuitable roads.

Probably!
Dave, here is tomtom camper map link where you can check compatibility with various units...it give a bit more info but doesnt reveal its secret as to how its different...
as i mentioned earlier, even my two old Tomtom units have a POI file for Low Bridges but these are not referenced in the navigating as i cant enter height details, but thise that can (as Paul mentioned) can avoid low ones...
however, as to widths, this jury member is still out...
i think the camper map may have some sort of 'suitability/preference' attribute against each road, perhaps added by tomtom (or other base mapping sources) rather than anything to do with width, per se...
i know of one user on CT who has the Camper maps on his to tom and is very happy...he drives a corpulent Bailey...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down