The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Garmin 760LMT-D for sale

+4
Cymro
bikeralw
inspiredron
LDPD
8 posters

Go down

Garmin 760LMT-D for sale Empty Garmin 760LMT-D for sale

Post by LDPD Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:19 pm

Due to a recent upgrade to an A/S that came with a SatNav I have a Garmin 760LMT-D available form my last van. Used for 6 months only. On Amazon new at £325 - looking for £250. 

Hopefully this is a link to the spec for Garmin 760LMT-D on the Garmin site.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Garmin 760LMT-D for sale Empty Re: Garmin 760LMT-D for sale

Post by inspiredron Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:34 pm

Possible snag?  Can the lifetime updates be transferred to a new registered owner? Need to check with Garmin.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by LDPD Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:59 pm

inspiredron wrote:Possible snag?  Can the lifetime updates be transferred to a new registered owner? Need to check with Garmin.
Interesting thought!
I've googled for various Garmin info and this is my understanding. 
Lifetime refers to the lifetime of the device as it's based on the device serial number regardless of the owner. I've also removed it from my Garmin account so it will be available to register with a new owner.
I'm guessing you've looked as well - have you arrived at the same conclusion?

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by LDPD Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:57 pm

After mowing the lawns for the first time this year I'm feeling generous allthumbz allthumbz 
Can I tempt anyone for this great Sat Nav now at £225?

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:30 pm

I think we're all waiting for you to trim the hedge for another £25 now..
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:48 pm

You may recall that 2 years ago Aldi were selling them, new, for £199.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by LDPD Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:24 pm

Cymro wrote:You may recall that 2 years ago Aldi were selling them, new, for £199.

Cymro

I  wish I could recall - memory isn't what it was - still think I'm a teenager but the body disagrees!

You know what their offers are like - bet you can't get one in Aldi now?

Based my price on what's currently around on Amazon, ebay etc.

I think it's a fair price

Donator
Donator

Male

RogerThat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike187 Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:39 pm

From the Garmin T&C for lifetime map updates " Your nüMaps Lifetime subscription or other lifetime map subscription may not be transferred to another person or another Garmin product." so unfortunately looks like they can not be passed on to a new owner.

Mike

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by LDPD Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:18 pm

Mike187 wrote:From the Garmin T&C for lifetime map updates " Your nüMaps Lifetime subscription or other lifetime map subscription may not be transferred to another person or another Garmin product." so unfortunately looks like they can not be passed on to a new owner.

Mike
I don't believe your assertion to be true. I believe that the situation is as I detailed in an earlier post. The Lifetetime maps subscription was supplied with the device and is tied to it not the owner. Therefore a transfer of the device to a new owner should work as I described.

However, I'm currently seeking a definitive answer from Garmin which I'll share when I hear from them.

Last edited by LDPD on Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typos!)

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:58 pm

Nything on their UK site but on the US site it says:
Lifetime Maps Terms & Conditions
If you purchase a nüMaps Lifetime subscription (sold separately) or if your Garmin product comes bundled with a nüMaps Lifetime or other lifetime map subscription, you will receive map data updates when and as such updates are made available on Garmin.com during the useful life of 1 compatible Garmin product or as long as Garmin receives map data from a third party supplier, whichever is shorter. A product’s “useful life” means the period during which the product (a) has sufficient memory capacity and other required technical capabilities to utilize current map data and (b) is capable of operating as intended without major repairs. A product will be deemed to be out of service and its useful life to be ended if no updates have been downloaded for such product for a period of 24 months or more. Unless otherwise stated, the updates you receive under the subscription will be updates to the same geographic area included with your Garmin product when originally purchased. In some instances, your Garmin product might not have sufficient memory remaining for you to load an update to the map data, in which case you will need to either (a) select reduced map data coverage for your updates, or (b) purchase separately a microSD™️/SD™️ card (if and as applicable to your Garmin product) and load all or a portion of the map data coverage for your updates to the card and insert the card into the microSD/SD card slot contained in your Garmin product. If neither of the measures in (a) or (b) can be used to address your product’s lack of sufficient remaining memory, then Garmin may conclude that the “useful life” of your product has expired. Garmin may terminate your nüMaps Lifetime or other lifetime map subscription at any time if you violate any of the terms of this agreement or your subscription. Your nüMaps Lifetime subscription or other lifetime map subscription may not be transferred to another person or another Garmin product.

The bit that I did not know is that you lose your updates if you don't download for 2 years!
You may want to keep it for your next vehicle but don't forget to download from time to time.
Sorry to bring bad news - it was something that was in the recesses of my memory.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike187 Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:33 pm

Having looked at their site again it may be possible if the lifetime updates came with device as in this case but not if bought separately, but they certainly don't make it obvious.
Before selling it is your new new vans satnav built in? If it is check how much updates for that are as they are often excessively expensive, may be worth keeping your Garmin and using it instead.
Just a thought.

Mike

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by LDPD Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:56 pm

inspiredron wrote:Nything on their UK site but on the US site it says:
Lifetime Maps Terms & Conditions
Your nüMaps Lifetime subscription or other lifetime map subscription may not be transferred to another person or another Garmin product.
The bit that I did not know is that you lose your updates if you don't download for 2 years!
You may want to keep it for your next vehicle but don't forget to download from time to time.
Sorry to bring bad news - it was something that was in the recesses of my memory.

The info I have  found (UK site?) is slightly different:

Firstly, and most importantly, it doesn't mention another person (see below) whereas your version did. I can understand them not allowing options to be transferred to different devices. This suggests that LMT is a device option and they clearly define what they mean by lifetime.

Secondly, On their support forum Garmin described how a registration may be transferred to a different owner (see below). 

I still believe that the device can be transferred to a new owner retaining the right to Lifetime maps updates as described previously.

In the meantime I'm still waiting for a response from Garmin to give some clarification to this issue.

...........................................................................................

https://www.garmin.com/uk/maps/numaps/numaps-terms

Lifetime Maps
If you purchase a nüMaps Lifetime subscription (sold separately or bundled together with certain GPS models), you will receive map updates when and as such updates are made available on the Garmin website during the useful life of 1 compatible Garmin product or as long as Garmin receives map data from a third party supplier, whichever is shorter. A product’s “useful life” means the period during which the product (a) has sufficient memory capacity and other required technical capabilities to utilize current map data and (b) is capable of operating as intended without major repairs. A product will be deemed to be out of service and its useful life to be ended if no updates have been downloaded for such product for a period of 24 months or more. Unless otherwise stated, the updates you receive under the subscription will be updates to the same geographic area included with your Garmin product when originally purchased. Third party content providers may change. In some instances, your Garmin product might not have sufficient memory remaining for you to load an update to the map data, in which case you will need to either (a) select reduced map data coverage for your updates, or (b) purchase separately a microSD™️/SD™️ card (if and as applicable to your Garmin product) and load all or a portion of the map data coverage for your updates to the card and insert the card into the microSD/SD card slot contained in your Garmin product. If neither of the measures in (a) or (b) can be used to address your product’s lack of sufficient remaining memory, then Garmin may conclude that the “useful life” of your product has expired. Garmin may terminate your nüMaps Lifetime subscription at any time if you violate any of the terms of this agreement or your subscription. Your nüMaps Lifetime subscription may not be transferred to another Garmin product.

https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch/en-GB/faq/content/qNp86op6VD72slwYrvlSo8
Support
Transferring device registration from a previous owner
If you purchase a device second hand from an individual and the unit is already registered to that person, you may see a message appear that states "The serial number you have entered has already been registered" when trying to register it to a separate myGarmin account. You will need to contact that person directly to have the device removed from their account so you can then register it to your own account. The original owner can simply delete the registered device from their account thus opening it up to be registered on a new account.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:18 pm

I stand corrected - I looked on UK site but found nothing relevant. Sorry

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:37 pm

I bought a secondhand Garmin (camper version) off eBay which was advertised as being lifetime maps and traffic. Tried to update maps but wouldn't let me (I don't remember getting the message about it already being registered) so I assumed it didn't have lifetime maps. I don't believe roads change that much to worry about so didn't bother to challenge the seller. I've now had it five years or so and so it's still out of date but doesn't bother me. Maybe I should have followed the instructions above.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:00 pm

Cymro wrote:You may recall that 2 years ago Aldi were selling them, new, for £199.
Indeed they were.....as that's where i bought mine from. The last unit in the store so i was lucky!! But barely a couple of months later i was on another m/h forum and read a post by someone who'd just bought one from his local Aldi........£150!!  

That sort of took the wind out of my sails a bit but consoled myself with the thought i'd still saved £100 against Halfords price when i bought mine, but that's what Aldi do, they drop prices until the stock has gone so it's a gamble on how long you hang back.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:23 pm

It was PaulMold who helpfully alerted me to the Aldi offer.

We were away in the van, in Tewkesbury. I really wanted one of those satnavs. They were on sale from, I think, 08:00 on a Thursday. On the Wednesday, I asked my son in law to drive the next day through the morning rush to an Aldi store in Cardiff by 08:00; to grab a satnav but not to go to the till until I'd phoned him.

I was outside the Tewkesbury store shortly after 7:40 - damn, there were 5 other chaps there. Not talking, of course. At 08:00 the doors opened and we all trooped briskly (without queue jumping) to the diplay cabinet. A member of staff went off to get the satnavs. There were only 5, and I was number 6 in the queue. Luckily, one chap didn't want one, so - clutching it - I phoned my son-in-law. He said there were 16 there, and no-one wanting them! I felt bad about dragooning him!

Anyway, the Garmin is fine - although I still prefer TomTom as being more intuitive.
Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:15 pm

Cymro wrote:It was PaulMold who helpfully alerted me to the Aldi offer.
I'd seen them in store but initially was concerned about the size so hesitated about buying. But i needed a Garmin as they will read co-ords in countries my TT won't. Eventually i went for it as the price was too good to miss and once i'd set it on my screen, saw i'd easily get used to the 7". The audio is absolutely superb...crystal clear with excellent volume, possibly due to a larger speaker.

I just keep my TT for backup now in case the Garmin fails anytime. It did last year, fortunately after arriving back in UK. Not long off the ferry driving toward the M25 when suddenly the cursor and map layout just went bonkers with the cursor arrow shooting along all over the place. I found a place to pull off and tried a re-start but it did nothing so had to use the TT. When i got home i contacted Garmin about it and they advised me to do a complete re-install. Seems to be ok now but you don't want that sort of experience if negotiating through a large busy town in Europe!
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:26 pm

Paulmold wrote: I don't believe roads change that much to worry about so didn't bother to challenge the seller. I've now had it five years or so and so it's still out of date but doesn't bother me.
I've just updated my 3 Garmins Paul, the previous ones did not have the Broughton by-pass on them, the new ones do. Also, the village of Bilsborrow on the A6 used to have a 40mph speed limit - this is now 30mph and the new maps reflect this. The old maps did not have the 3rd Forth crossing on them, which caused some confusion last year. [I hope its on the new ones?]
I agree that in the main, roads don't change much - but there are occasions when up to date maps are of benefit.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:50 pm

I ignore speed limits on our Garmin's as they seem to change a lot (always lower). If I find myself on a new bypass, they show me off-roading but eventually the roads join back up. I'm more likely to get a new one due to poor connection ports than maps. Both my Garmins need the ports tightened regularly now (nothing worse than the screen being blocked by the message 'external power has been lost' just at the wrong moment).

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by LDPD Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:05 pm

As promised, below is the definitive reply from Garmin regarding the transfer of lifetime maps.  It's as I've previously described.

Lifetime refers to the device not the owner. Changing the registered owner will be easy as I've already de-registered it from my Garmin account.

Asking price is £200 plus £10 postage for this Garmin Camper 760LMT-D. Regular price is £300+

Anyone interested now?

--------------------- Reply from Garmin ------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2018, 08:45
Subject: Re: Camper 760LMT-D - Maps & Map Updates transfer to new owner <Q#:1000051> << Reference ID: 11443261K0 >>
To: <*****************>

Dear Lance,

Thank you for your email. 

First of all, please accept our apologies for not answering your email in the time we quoted on our website. Due to an unforeseeable high volume of emails and calls we’ve received this has led to a backlog, which we’ve been working hard to restore to our usual service levels.

I can confirm that you are correct with your understanding. Life time map updates are linked with the device not the owners account so you can give the item to another user and they will still receive life time map updates.

I hope this has confirmed everything you wanted to know. If you have any other questions please let us know. 

Kind regards,

Paul
Garmin Europe

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down