The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Domestic Fridge issues

3 posters

Go down

Domestic Fridge issues  Empty Domestic Fridge issues

Post by PWel88 Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:09 am

Hi, fairly new to Autosleepers and not had any issues with the fridge before (it’s a Dometic 8555 model). It alerted the other night (mains indicator and error symbol flashing) and I hadn’t turned on the gas. I put the gas on and it switched over ok. Next morning I put it to Auto and it went back to electric ok, but later on I heard the clicking as the gas tried to ignite and it has flipped between elec and gas a few times.
So whilst I am happy that auto is doing its job, should I be worried that there is a problem with the fridge?
The site say that no one has raised any issues with them about electricity fluctuations, and the microwave has not been impacted at all.
I highlight the fact that I am not a technical person! Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions.
PWel88
PWel88

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Malvern
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Domestic Fridge issues  Empty Re: Domestic Fridge issues

Post by Peter Brown Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:27 pm

Is there gas in the tank?
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by PWel88 Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:17 pm

Hi, it runs fine from gas….and I’ve just noticed that it switches to gas from mains when we turn on the microwave, so I’m assuming this means the site power is slightly low and the drain when the microwave goes on causes the fridge to switch over?
PWel88
PWel88

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:30 pm

It could be the site, it could be the van or it could be the connection between them.

Personally I don't use auto or one time we will come home, stop the engine, not connect to ehu, not switch off the fridge and burn a full tank of gas.

Next time you use the van on ehu at a different site switch the fridge to mains and see what happens over a couple of days - if the fridge works ok then try on auto and see if the microwave operation forces it to gas - if it does that suggests a problem with the hook up cable or van electrical installation and a visit to your dealer.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by PWel88 Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:44 pm

Peter, thanks for your reply…I’m going to do some tests when I get home.
PWel88
PWel88

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:13 am

Some years ago we were on a site in France and at about 6pm I noticed that the Thetford fridge kept switching back and forth between mains and gas. Switching to gas was fine. I got out the multimeter and the mains voltage showed a slightly low voltage but around 20v higher than the threshold stated in the Thetford manual. I am sure that it was the low site voltage or current capacity at the bollard and it has never happened since. On reflection, it might even have been dirty contacts in the bollard socket, possibly connected with the single electric hotplate on our cooker switching on and off thermostatically. I'd never thought of that before 😔

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by PWel88 Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:36 am

Hi Ron, thanks for the input, according to the manual it’s supposed to be good down to 197v and I doubt it went that low! Any testing will have to wait until the snow has gone!
PWel88
PWel88

Male

Back to top Go down