The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fridge issues on a nuevo

5 posters

Go down

Fridge issues on a nuevo Empty Fridge issues on a nuevo

Post by Jimmer84 Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:47 am

So during our habitation check, the guy had noticed that the side of our camper had been painted at some point, but whoever had carried this out hadn't covered the gaps behind the fridge and it is covered in paint which he doesn't deem safe....potential fire risk with gas and also the fridge wasn't secured down. 

It is a 2004 peugeot boxer nuevo. Now I had resecured down the fridge, it was missing a wooden baton at the back of the fridge to support it against the wheel arch, and had to fit metal plaster board plugs to the wood where the screws from inside the fridge attach as these had previously ripped out. So happy the fridge is secured again but the paint on the back of the fridge is a concern, I am looking to see if we can source another fridge, or if it is possible to have ours removed and repaired with the elements, etc on the back replaced or stripped of the paint? 

What would everyones thoughts be on this?

Thanks
Jimmer84
Jimmer84

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Fridge issues on a nuevo Empty Re: Fridge issues on a nuevo

Post by bikeralw Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:17 am

Wouldn't the paint on the fridge elements just be overspray? In my experience this can be cleaned off with a bit of elbow grease and thinners or white spirit on a rag, especially as the back of the fridge most likely had a layer of dust on it before they started spraying. If it's in the fiddly bits, maybe use an old toothbrush. 
Replacing the fridge seems a bit of a drastic measure.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72

Jimmer84 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Greyhound Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:14 am

Unless the paint is actually around the burner there's no way that would get hot enough to get to the ignition temperature of dried paint.

Agree with bikeralw, simply clean off if it's a worry to you, as suggested thinners or paint remover etc.
Greyhound
Greyhound

Male

Member Age : 53
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

Jimmer84 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:17 pm

Thirded - I don't see the paint as any sort of fire risk, though it may reduce the efficiency of the heater exchanger a small amount.

If you haven't already done so, take a look at the price of a new, similar fridge (or even a secondhand one) and it is likely to alter your tolerance for a bit of paint overspray!

But you're right to re-secure it and, just as importantly, to reinstate all of the panelling that makes the outside part airtight from the inside bit. That really is a safety issue.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Jimmer84 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmer84 Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:18 pm

Thats good to hear, I would have thought much the same myself but there is a fair bit of paint that I'm unsure I could get it all off but I was just taking the guys word for it that the paint could be a risk. He said he didn't want to test the gas because of this also. 

I will try and attach an image for you guys to see.
Jimmer84
Jimmer84

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:29 pm

Hmmmm I can't see a good hab check guy not wanting to check the gas lights unless he was fairly sure it was dangerous. I mean leaving it in a dangerous state for the owner to risk lighting it is against Gasafe rules in domestic situations. If he flowed those principles he should disconne t the gas so the fridge can't be used on that fuel 'til repaired and deemed safe.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmer84 Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:32 pm

How can I attach images giys and ill share one so you can see to see your opinions. 

The guy seemed very thorough but also very "strict" with his assessments, some things were very simple to fix but he talked as if they were catastrophic lol.
Jimmer84
Jimmer84

Male

Back to top Go down