The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Water Tanks

+18
Eltel
Angleseygirl
rogerblack
rgermain
groundhog
Caraman
Slow-Lane
Paul Bullas
BornAgain
Tinwheeler
Roopert
VDYBDUB
IanH
Peter Brown
Dbvwt
Bilbobaggins
Paulmold
Windsurf1
22 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Water Tanks - Page 2 Empty Re: Water Tanks

Post by rgermain Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:01 pm

Paulmold wrote:
VDYBDUB wrote:I would have thought that EVERYONE would know that 1ltre of water weighs 1kg, critical sometimes to know the basics !  confused3
I was educated in imperial measurements,  a gallon of water weighs 10 lbs.
And tyres are PSI not bars, they are for drinking at. smile!
----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:58 pm

Wouldn't the 'weight transfer' effect on cornering also apply to the contents of the fuel tank, which I think on mine is around 80 litres?

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:19 am

I think fuel tanks have baffles in them to stop the fuel from sloshing about.  Fuel and water tankers certainly have baffles in them for the same reason.  I don't think the water tanks that A-S use have baffles.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Angleseygirl Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:59 am

For us, it all depends on the type of touring - if using sites we don’t keep much water in the tank but if camping “free” we try to keep topped up where possible.
Angleseygirl
Angleseygirl

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2022

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:08 am

Slightly off topic so forgive but maybe interesting to some.
I sold a Boeing 737 -200 for a Swedish company years ago but one of the fuel tanks had a leak, they tried all manner of things to fix it and eventually a sort of balloon ( I am no technician) was put inside the tank and inflated so it formed the same shape as the tank and sealed the whole thing.
I wonder if that has ever been done on a motorhome tank?
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:47 am

Caraman wrote:I think fuel tanks have baffles in them to stop the fuel from sloshing about.  Fuel and water tankers certainly have baffles in them for the same reason.  I don't think the water tanks that A-S use have baffles.

There are no baffles in my fresh water tank that is usually full but there are baffles in the grey water tank that is usually empty.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Eltel Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:07 am

Is there a magic formula in knowing when you fill the water tank of how much water is in the tank ?

Such as a inline water meter.

The water sensors are useless on my Nuevo, they have been cleaned and changed in the past.

Terry
Eltel
Eltel
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:24 am

Peter Brown wrote:
Caraman wrote:I think fuel tanks have baffles in them to stop the fuel from sloshing about.  Fuel and water tankers certainly have baffles in them for the same reason.  I don't think the water tanks that A-S use have baffles.

There are no baffles in my fresh water tank that is usually full but there are baffles in the grey water tank that is usually empty.
That's interesting about the grey tank which must add to the muck retention.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:27 am

Eltel wrote:Is there a magic formula in knowing when you fill the water tank of how much water is in the tank

I guess it depends how much cost and complexity you want.

Accurate flow meters can be bought, but one problem is that the fresh water inlet is gravity-fed in most A/S models. You would need to convert to pumped filling and would have ensure that the fill was water only, and not a water/air mix. You would then probably need to program something like a Pi to add up inlet and outlet flows over time and display the difference.

An alternative could be to arrange for the tank to be hung on weight sensors - this should be very accurate, but the difficulty of engineering the sensors into the hangers should not be underestimated!

My favourite alternative method is the sight tube - just a clear glass or plastic tube that runs from the base of the tank up its side - you could bring it out to the side of the van and make a feature of it, with polished brass fixings? Very simple - though it's likely that the tube itself would get obscured on the inside by limescale over the years. A dipstick is another possibility, though not so easy to read with water.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:40 am

Eltel wrote:Is there a magic formula in knowing when you fill the water tank of how much water is in the tank ?

Such as a inline water meter.

The water sensors are useless on my Nuevo, they have been cleaned and changed in the past.

Terry
I know how much water I am putting into the tank as I mostly do it with a barrel which is supposed to be 30 litres but it's nearer 34 litres and I know we use at least a barrel a day.  As I generally empty the tank before moving and start afresh at the next site and don't normally stay in one place for much more than 4 days, I have a feel for how much water we have.  So far with a tank that is empty most of the time (on my drive) and occasional descaling/sterilisation, my sensors have been OK.  They haven't always been OK with the grey water tank which I attribute to its poor cleanliness which I tackle from time to time.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:22 pm

Our old Autocruise simply had a hatch in the floor which exposed a Henderson type hatch on top of the tank and you could see how much water was in it
You could also of course just stick a hose straight in or pour from a container no problem. 
Simple is just best sometimes.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:24 pm

Simple is always best..................... up!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:11 pm

My previous experience of on-board fresh water tanks has been in offshore sailing yachts and a German Knaus caravan.  For offshore yachts I did quite the opposite of what I do now and that is brim the tank with fresh water before leaving every port.  The water was always suspect as were the hoses used to fill it.  Even though we would empty and refill the tank at the start of a trip, we only used the water for dish washing, cooking, hand washing and on long trips a body wash.  The only showers we used were ashore.  We only used bottled water for drinking and cleaning teeth.  I don't remember any way of telling how full or empty the tank was but we always carried a large container with emergency water in it.  

The Knaus had a large plastic tank under one of the seats.  It had a large inspection hatch through which you could reach with a hand to clean inside, unscrew its drain plug and access its submersible pump and electric water level sensors.  The later were a series of rods of varying length that dropped down into the tank and which never failed.  The only downside was that there was no way of filling the tank with a water barrel and pump so it had to be filled with a watering can which I never got used to.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Water Tanks - Page 2 Empty Re water tank

Post by Cuckoo Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:30 pm

Yes we do the main reason having read reviews from other travellers and our own experience visiting aires and free stops in Spain and portugal the hoses to fill water tank and rinse out the cassette toilet are the same and are fixed. So full tank on leaving and fill up on campsites which have proper water separation.
Cuckoo
Cuckoo

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2013

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Water Tanks - Page 2 Empty Re water tank.

Post by Tom Wardlaw Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:33 pm

Each to their own on this but I come down on side of empty tank to travel although I do carry about 3 litres of bottled water. Reason I do this is that when I bought our Broadway, dealer told me that the weight of water slushing about in the tank, however much there was, could have an adverse effect on tank securing brackets and could lead to them breaking. That’s what the dealer said so good enough for me.
Tom Wardlaw
Tom Wardlaw

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:55 pm

Quotes from current Bailey manual:

Before moving off - Ensure that your fresh water and waste water tanks are empty

Motorhomes are often used all year round but when they are not in use, even for short periods, they should be drained down.

For added stability and driving comfort the water tanks in your vehicle are fitted with baffles. These baffles stop the water from flowing freely from side to side, creating uneven weight distribution.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:33 pm

If you read the Caktanks (who I believe AS obtain their tanks from) website, all  their tanks are fitted with anti-surge baffles.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:42 pm

This original one didn't (but it did have several water level sensors that had just been pushed through when they were replaced) but I don't know who the supplier was:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The wooden blocks were not original but prepared by me when I hoped I could get someone local to replace it in less than six months.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Water Tanks - Page 2 Empty water tank

Post by Wrinkly Old Hippy Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:55 pm

I've never used the ater tank, I prefer fresh water from the tap.
Wrinkly Old Hippy
Wrinkly Old Hippy

Female

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : T5 Trooper

Back to top Go down

Water Tanks - Page 2 Empty water tank

Post by Wrinkly Old Hippy Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:55 pm

I've never used the water tank, I prefer fresh water from the tap.
Wrinkly Old Hippy
Wrinkly Old Hippy

Female

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : T5 Trooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Wigley Woggled Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:51 pm

We used to travel empty in the belief we might save fuel.

Travelling abroad changed all that. Staying at Aire de Camping Car's it was clear we might not always get an Aire we wanted or it had closed. First come first served meant a certain reluctance to leave the last available space to get water.
Not everywhere has water or to obtain water we needed a Token to be obtained from a shop now closed or a Mayor's office closed.
So we now always fill up before moving on, just so much less hassle at the next destination.
Filling up also gives that extra freedom to Wild Camp.

Once, travelling in Portugal our water tap fell off leaving a trail of water gushing forth. An emergency stop and a mile a minute sprint back up the road to recover said tap meant not all our water was lost plus I burnt off a few calories !! 😤🤬😟🥴
Wigley Woggled
Wigley Woggled

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2