The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gas Tanks

+2
Peter Brown
Bad Penny
6 posters

Go down

Gas Tanks Empty Gas Tanks

Post by Bad Penny Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:23 pm

Hi Everyone, my new Broadway has an underslung  gas tank, so what is the legal requirement for gas isolation before catching a ferry or using the channel tunnel or even when travelling.  Do I crawl underneath to switch the supply off, or can I switch off each red appliance valves in the vehicle. Which is the correct legal procedure?
Regards The Bad Penny.
Bad Penny
Bad Penny
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway owner
Vehicle Year : 2014 mod

Back to top Go down

Gas Tanks Empty Re: Gas Tanks

Post by Peter Brown Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:55 pm

I've just checked your handbook on the AS web site:

4. Turn off all gas appliances, except those heating appliances designed to function whilst the vehicle is in motion. Ensure that the red isolation taps are in the 'off' position. If fitted with a gas locker, ensure that the gas cylinders are securely restrained and that the door is closed and locked.

I know recent enquiries have been made of AS and they confirm that this is the correct procedure but also acknowledge that some of the red isolation taps are not readily accessible.

I've done some extensive research into this topic lately. It is not illegal in Europe to drive with the gas switched on but for the vehicle to achieve European Type Approval there must be signage fitted in the vehicle to tell you not to operate gas appliances (other than those designed for the purpose) whilst the vehicle is in motion.

When travelling through the tunnel they always ask and usually check that gas bottles are turned off. I have no experience of the procedure for a fixed tank but expect that if there was a problem I would have heard about it by now.

As with all matters where you are at risk, I suggest you check what I have said before deciding what you do.

Peter

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Bad Penny Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:53 pm

Hi Peter. Many thanks for your reply, I'm still undecided, but drawn towards isolating from the main gas tank as you would with gas bottles, therefor not just from the on board appliance valves. The thought of having to crawl underneath each time when perhaps not dressed appropriately is a little off putting. 
I will perhaps speak to the relevant companies to see what they will permit, I have emailed Auto-Sleeper and am waiting for a response.
When I have collected more Info, I will give some feed back.

Leighton( The Bad Penny)
Bad Penny
Bad Penny
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:11 pm

What you could do is contact GasIt / FES who supply AS with the tanks etc. Nick and the guys are quite helpfull they are in N.Wales and have a web site and forum
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:06 am

When I spoke to Truma on this topic they told me they produce an electrically operated valve that you can locate at the tank and operate from inside the van.

Peter

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bad Penny Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:53 am

Spoken this morning to Gasit in north Wales and the person I spoke to read me an email from his boss.  "This said that turning off valves to each appliance was sufficient".
Whether this would be accepted by ferry carriers etc is anybodies guess.

I will still endeavor to find more info from ferry and tunnel carriers, when I can find the right people there to speak to.

The Bad Penny.
Bad Penny
Bad Penny
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:33 am

From a practical point of view I think their are two possible concerns.

The first is that the fridge and heater have their combustion chambers open to the outside and therefore on a garage forecourt or in a ferry or tunnel carriage they could provide effectively a naked flame to combustible fumes.  Turning off the red isolation valve is a 'fail safe' method of ensuring appliances aren't lit in those environments.

The second is the fracture of a pipe that's connected to an open gas supply during a road traffic accident and the possibility of the escaping gas igniting and the flame blowing back into the bottle/tank and exploding.  Turning off the tap on a gas bottle minimises the risk of that but turning off the tap on the regulator or having a regulator that cuts off the gas in the event of an impact still leaves some pipework vulnerable.  If their is a valve on the tank itself then that would be the place to turn it off.

My personal view is that if I had a van with a fixed tank and as I wouldn't be breaking any law then I would leave the tank and regulator switched on and turn the red isolation valves off as a matter of course when not using any particular gas appliance.

Peter
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bad Penny Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:15 pm

Thanks Peter, I'm inclined to agree with what you say, although whether the carrier companies would agree with us is another thing.
I emailed customer service of the Channel Tunnel today, they have replied, but did not answer my question as they want a booking reference number before they do. As I don't have one, that is as far as I can go with them.
On reflection I can understand their reaction, maybe as a safety issue, something that did not occur to me at the time.
So I think I will have to crawl underneath and switch off before travelling by ferry or Tunnel.

Regards (Leighton) The Bad Penny.  
P.S. Yesterday we received our club membership package, so perhaps we will meet up some time.
Bad Penny
Bad Penny
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bad Penny Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:01 pm

Hi Peter and Roli.
I have just had an email reply from customer service of the channel tunnel.
They have said that to qualify to use the tunnel, we must isolate the gas supply at the underslung tank and each onboard appliance valve as well. Therefore everything must be off.

So there we have it, straight from those that matter, I guess the same for ferry companies as well. I hope this helps all newby gas tank owners like myself, who will be using the tunnel or ferry this year.

The Bad Penny
Bad Penny
Bad Penny
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Spospe Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:30 pm

Bad Penny wrote:
They have said that to qualify to use the tunnel, we must isolate the gas supply at the underslung tank and each onboard appliance valve as well. Therefore everything must be off.

So this means that all owners of Auto-Sleeper vans with underslung tanks will have to get down on the ground (irrespective of the weather), crawl under their vans and turn off the gas.

I can see this being a little bit of a problem.
Spospe
Spospe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Bad Penny Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:02 pm

I'm afraid so!!!!
Bad Penny
Bad Penny
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by broadwayelduo Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:14 pm

Bad Penny wrote:Hi Peter and Roli.

So there we have it, straight from those that matter, I guess the same for ferry companies as well. I hope this helps all newby gas tank owners like myself, who will be using the tunnel or ferry this year.

The Bad Penny

Since buying our Broadway el duo a year ago we have done 3 ferry crossings and 1 tunnel and have only been asked once if my gas was off.It is not a matter of just getting underneath and turning a valve,a metal plate has to be unscrewed first before you can get to it.
broadwayelduo
broadwayelduo

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway el duo

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:07 pm

Peter Brown wrote:When I spoke to Truma on this topic they told me they produce an electrically operated valve that you can locate at the tank and operate from inside the van.

Peter

I have been contemplating the fitting of an electric gas-valve to my Gas-it installation, & looking on their website I found one, but when I rang for advice, they informed me that they don't actually do one for motor homes as they pull too much current, so what to do??

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:15 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This Truma one draws no current when closed and 40mA when open which is very acceptable.

Peter

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Peter Brown on Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Link to web page added and question above valve deleted)
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Spospe Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:09 pm

I have just read the handbook for my new Warwick Duo and Auto Sleeper specifically state that when using Eurotunnel to turn off the red gas isolation taps in the cupboard. But they make no mention at all about the tap on the gas tank itself.
Spospe
Spospe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down