The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mirror Protectors for a Mercedes Bourton

4 posters

Go down

Mirror Protectors for a Mercedes Bourton Empty Mirror Protectors for a Mercedes Bourton

Post by phil1855 Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:07 pm

Hi Guys,
 Having had previous Fiats or Peugeot vans where mirror protectors were quite easy to obtain, now I have a Mercedes they appear as rare as hens teeth.
Any recommendations ? They are an essential addition for me, as in the past I have experienced several "comings together" with Devon hedges and white van delivery drivers!  censored!
Phil
phil1855
phil1855
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Mirror Protectors for a Mercedes Bourton Empty Re: Mirror Protectors for a Mercedes Bourton

Post by tony25 Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:09 pm

I have been looking for Mirror protectors and found these stainless steel ones.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

While they may look attractive, being rigid and fitted directly to the mirrors with no shock absorbing material, I'm not sure how much protection they provide.

These much more expensive ones are designed to provide proper protection.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has fitted protectors. Like Phil, I need some effective protection.
tony25
tony25

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Stanton
Vehicle Year : 2021

phil1855 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Mirror Protectors for a Mercedes Bourton Empty Re: Mirror Protectors for a Mercedes Bourton

Post by PLOUGHLIN Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:42 pm

I have the first SS type, which other than the indicator part (unprotected) prevented any damage when hitting a protruding hedge branch on a narrow Welsh road.

Protection can be increased by using a thicker 3M d/s tape to stick them on. The good thing about MB mirrors is that all component parts are available to buy separately, and a new complete mirror assembly can be bought for less than half the price of the other protector quoted.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

phil1855 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by phil1855 Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:55 pm

Hi Guys.
 Saw the Chrome ones and did wonder how much protection they would offer. The others look the part and at that price they should.. think_smiley_46 ..will have a look at the show and see if there are any alternatives, 
Phil
phil1855
phil1855
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by BornAgain Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:27 am

tony25 wrote:I have been looking for Mirror protectors and found these stainless steel ones.

While they may look attractive, being rigid and fitted directly to the mirrors with no shock absorbing material, I'm not sure how much protection they provide.

These much more expensive ones are designed to provide proper protection.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has fitted protectors. Like Phil, I need some effective protection.
The stainless steel ones seem to be just cosmetic whereas the Mirror Shields look more like the excellent Mirror Guards I had on my Broadway, however, they are on quite a long delivery and I would be nervous about ordering them without some feedback from other users. Unfortunately Mirror Guard say that covers are not available for Mercedes vans (I checked with them).
BornAgain

Male

Member Age : 77
Vehicle Year : 2022

phil1855 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by phil1855 Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:11 am

Hi,
 Spoke to a guy on the Milenco stand at the NEC, he says that the Mercedes type wing mirror protectors are expected to be available later this year, cost unknown at the moment.
Did manage to get a lock for the brake pedal, similar to a clutch claw but for an automatic, from them £89.  allthumbz
phil1855
phil1855
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by BornAgain Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:36 pm

That’s good to know. I’ll have to drive carefully until then!
BornAgain

Male

Member Age : 77
Vehicle Year : 2022

DD and phil1855 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tony25 Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:40 pm

With the news that Milenco will have Mirror protectors for the Mercedes Sprinter later this year, I contacted them for more information.

This was the reply:- 

"Unfortunately, this isn’t something currently available or in development, but we may well produce this in the future. Please keep an eye on our website."

Perhaps a few more direct enquiries may encourage them to produce them sooner.

Very disappointing, so back to square one. Will the reasonably priced the stainless steel ones provide sufficient protection? Do they protect the indicator lens from impact damage?
tony25
tony25

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:55 pm

None of the protectors, MB or Boxer protect the Indicators, otherwise they would be shielded from view.

The stainless ones for MB are supplied with thin double sided tape. But can be fitted with thicker double sided foam tape for better impact protection.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by tony25 Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:01 pm

Thanks for the reply. I have seen stainless steel ones where the metal is curved forward around the indicator lens, thus providing some protection on impact. I wondered how effective this actually was.
tony25
tony25

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:14 pm

The ones I have are cut around the lens so no protection for a direct hit. Replacements cost about £7 so not a game changer.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down