The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

mirror protectors

+6
rventhusiast
PLOUGHLIN
RogerThat
gemdeco
marconi
Boggie
10 posters

Go down

mirror protectors Empty mirror protectors

Post by Boggie Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:17 pm

Whilst posting comments about radio reception on our Bourton, I also posted a photo of the MH parked on our drive, where Gemdeco noticed the mirror protected and asked who supplied them.

There are only a couple of suppliers of mirror protectors for the Sprinter based Motorhomes on the internet, and these are normally cheap versions which have no padding or cushion between the protector and the mirror housing. Whilst checking out truck & van parts suppliers I came across a company called KUDA UK 
Ltd and they supply mirror protectors mainly for HGV’s They also listed a set for Mercedes Sprinters.

On their website photos the mirror protectors looked good so I ordered a pair. They are not cheap, £160 plus vat, so £200 inclusive but at least the shipping was free and they quoted a 4 week delivery, which turned out to be 3 weeks.

They are made of Carbon fibre with strips of stick on foam, and come with clamps, also made from Carbon fibre
When they arrived they looked good, but after installing them I wasn’t impressed with the fixing bracketry, where the individual parts are different shapes and sizes

Here is a photo of one installed. I couldn’t accept this and sent them back, but if anyone is interested to look they are a online at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
What do you think?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

In the photos you can see that the fit around the lower half of the mirror is not flush, there’s quite a gap. Also the clamps at the rear for me look very untidy and nothing lines up. To my eye it just doesn’t look right but may be acceptable to others. I think I will wait as Mirrorguard tell me they are going to produce some for the Merc Sprinters.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.][/url]
Boggie
Boggie

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2019

Miss DaisyMay likes this post

Back to top Go down

mirror protectors Empty Re: mirror protectors

Post by marconi Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:35 pm

I quite agree, I wouldn't be happy to display that fixing if it was something I had botched together from the scrap mouldings box.
marconi
marconi

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK

gemdeco and Boggie like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by gemdeco Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:13 pm

Hi
    You are correct they are really unsightly
Alan
gemdeco
gemdeco

Male

Member Age : 73
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:37 pm

How much is a replacement mirror from a breakers yard?
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Stanway
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Boggie Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:45 pm

It is an option, but I really dont think I would be fitting scrap yard parts to a nearly new, Bourton, but there are original parts on the internet.
The main point about fitting mirror protectors is that if a driving mirror gets broken whilst you are on a trip , you shouldn't be driving the vehicle until its fixed
Boggie
Boggie

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:28 pm

All parts of the MB mirrors are available separately, and not expensive. Chances of requiring a complete mirror is small.

I have fitted SS covers on mine to hide scratches on the casing, stuck on with double sided foam tape, which offers some impact protection. A bit blingy but....

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Lucyc1937, Miss DaisyMay and Boggie like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rventhusiast Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:16 pm

Must say the set shown are a really untidy fix. We did as Ploughlin did and bought the stainless steel covers - used with foam double sided tape they not only fit better but offer some impact resistance.

David
rventhusiast
rventhusiast

Male

Vehicle Year : 2017

Boggie likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by LDPD Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:25 pm

rventhusiast wrote:Must say the set shown are a really untidy fix. We did as Ploughlin did and bought the stainless steel covers - used with foam double sided tape they not only fit better but offer some impact resistance.

David
Also did just the same.

Our mirrors were very stiff folding them in so we applied a little something to ease them so they fold back more easily in the belief they may 'give' in the event of impact which may assist in saving them from more serious damage. peace

Donator
Donator

Male

Pete Taylor, Miss DaisyMay and Boggie like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Lainie Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:11 am

I agree that these mirror covers do not look good with the unsightly brackets. I am interested to hear that Mirror Guards might be making protectors for the Mercs as we had them on our previous motorhome and we liked their quality.
I bought some SS ones that were said to fit a 2019 Sprinter but they didn’t. So they had to be returned.
Lainie
Lainie

Female

Miss DaisyMay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Macpointer Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:24 pm

Don’t like the ones in the pictures very unsightly. I am a little concerned at your comment about mirror guards as they promised they were going to produce them when we bought our Bourton in 2017 and they still have not made them.
Macpointer
Macpointer

Female

Member Age : 71
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:49 pm

LDPD wrote:

Our mirrors were very stiff folding them in so we applied a little something to ease them so they fold back more easily in the belief they may 'give' in the event of impact which may assist in saving them from more serious damage. peace
Having had one mirror smashed  (by another Sprinter) I was an early adopter of the blingy stainless covers but agree that the best thing to do is put lots of lubricant into the hinges, until the mirrors fold back with very little effort. We suffered another "strike", whilst stationary at temporary traffic lights- the bang was tremendous but the mirrors flipped back undamaged. Of course the real worry is that the real worry is that the coach-built body is really not much "inside" the width of the mirrors!

Pete.

Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Stanton.
Vehicle Year : 2014

LDPD likes this post

Back to top Go down