The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leisure Battery Charging From Alternator

+4
Molly3
Peter Brown
Kdc
Paulmold
8 posters

Go down

Leisure Battery Charging From Alternator Empty Leisure Battery Charging From Alternator

Post by Guest Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:54 pm

In my little Micro camper I made from a Toyota Previa I fitted a split Charge Circuit so that the Leisure Battery charges from the Alternator while driving. It has a device so that when using the leisure battery it will not drain the engine Battery.

In my 2004 Nuevo I have sort of assumed that the leisure Battery is charged by the Alternator when I am driving along as well as the engine battery. Am I correct in this assumption ?

Last edited by Bigplumbs on Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Leisure Battery Charging From Alternator Empty Re: Leisure Battery Charging From Alternator

Post by Paulmold Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:22 pm

Yes.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Leisure Battery Charging From Alternator Empty Re: Leisure Battery Charging From Alternator

Post by Guest Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:25 pm

Paulmold wrote:Yes.

Thanks. I assume it does not matter where the 3 way switch is on the little control panel. I think this is just for when using and indeed what is being charged when on Mains hook up ?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Kdc Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:26 pm

Deleted as already been answered by previous post

Last edited by Kdc on Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Already been answered by earlier post)
Kdc
Kdc
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:27 pm

As long as everything is working as it should of course.... Your Nuevo is of an age when some vans had installations made by MES, if yours is one the alternator will charge the leisure battery and keep the 12v electrics working when pitched on site as well as while driving.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly3 Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:22 am

I find the charging for leisure  battery is very poor ,
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:28 am

I wish I could actually find my leisure battery
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Toffee Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:33 pm

Molly3 wrote:I find the charging for leisure  battery is very poor ,
I agree, it is on my to do list to check if the battery is being charged by the alternator, as the battery percentage on the Sargent screen never changes after a long drive, although the voltage displayed is healthy. 
I did wonder if this was because the Sargent system shuts down when the engine is running and therefore is unable to register any charge current from the alternator so the display stays unaltered?
Toffee

Male

Member Age : 57
Auto-Sleeper : Fairford

Back to top Go down

Post by davemarshall Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:45 pm

The leisure battery on the 2006 Nuevo is fitted under the driver's seat along with the split charge relay, fridge relay and fuses. To access just pull the panel forward under the front of the driver's seat.
davemarshall
davemarshall

Male

Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:56 pm

davemarshall wrote:The leisure battery on the 2006 Nuevo is fitted under the driver's seat along with the split charge relay, fridge relay and fuses. To access just pull the panel forward under the front of the driver's seat.

Ours is a 2004 Nuevo and I had a good hard look at the front panel and all I could see was a piece of carpeted board with two screws in. Not sure how this opens but it does not look like fun  smile!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by davemarshall Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:21 am

If you slide the seat fully forward you should be able to see the battery. The front panel on ours was fixed with 2 small screws.
davemarshall
davemarshall

Male

Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:28 am

davemarshall wrote:If you slide the seat fully forward you should be able to see the battery. The front panel on ours was fixed with 2 small screws.

Thanks I will have a look see
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Leisure Battery Charging From Alternator Empty Upgrading to a Lithium battery on Kemerton XL

Post by Andril1954 Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:41 pm

I'm waiting for an Aircon unit to be fitted to my Kemerton XL and since ordering have fell down a veritable rabbithole of electrical confusion over Lithium batteries, DC-DC charging and inverters.

I've concluded the factory leisure battery system is very basic and so off-grid capability is minimal. Obviously to power habitation aircon off-grid would require a huge investment but in the meantime I'm trying to establish just what the original equipment actually consists of. I'm waiting on a reply from Sargent but in the meantime has anyone any info or comments on whether:

a. The charging system is equivalent to Battery to Battery - received wisdom suggests this is essential if the vehicle has a Smart Alternator. Mine is Euro 6 so I guess it does. There's no specific mention of this in the Van's handbook or in Sargent's info on the PX Charger.
b. If not can you just bung in a B2B charger such as Victron Orion or C-Tek 250. 
c. I read a comprehensive post by AandN Caravan Services suggesting that the quality of wiring is more important than the charger.

Some experimentation is needed here to establish how much charge the leisure battery is getting when the vehicle is being driven. Apparently you can trick the alternator into giving a bigger charge by switching on the headlamps.
Andril1954
Andril1954

Male

Auto-Sleeper : KemertonXL
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:03 pm

a) you have a split charge system - when the engine is running, the leisure battery, vehicle battery and alternator are all connected together and the alternator will supply whatever current the batteries ask for.
b) No - you need to overlay the existing wiring with much thicker cable (and fusing) This wiring is much harder to route so you may be better using multiple thinner wires connected in parallel. The Sargent PSU will have to be modified to stop the split charge relay connecting the output of the B2B to the input.

If you switch on the headlights the alternator will supply more current - all of it going to the headlights!

You haven't the space in/on the Kemerton to install the thousands of pounds (£) of infrastructure that would be needed to operate an AC unit and then would only have the capacity to operate for a very limited period of time before recharging.

I would recommend you leave your installation as standard and only use the AC unit when on hook up.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB

Andril1954 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:35 pm

Andril1954 wrote:Apparently you can trick the alternator into giving a bigger charge by switching on the headlamps.

As Peter has already said, that's simply not true. It's a myth, that probably had its origins in the time when vehicle voltage regulators were mechanical - i.e. pre-1970s, when they were essentially based on relays. With electronic regulators, all that will happen is that the headlamps will take more power from the alternator.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down