The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Late greetings card

+4
Askit
Slow-Lane
RogerThat
groundhog
8 posters

Go down

Late greetings card Empty Late greetings card

Post by groundhog Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:34 pm

What would you do?
I have a reletave who this year posted my Christmas card from last year on 06th January this year. The same for mine and SWMBO birthday posted at least a week after the event so straight in the bin.This happens every year. 
Do you ignore it or politely say don't bother and let's just text each other a greeting?
He never keeps in touch the rest of the year  and cards are surely just dying out now anyway
How would you handle it I am sure I am not alone in this one
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Late greetings card Empty Re: Late greetings card

Post by RogerThat Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:36 pm

I'd do nothing, nothing at all.  There are far more important things going on in you life smile!
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Stanway
Vehicle Year : 2018

groundhog and mcalid like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Slow-Lane Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:43 pm

I wouldn't say a word.
I'd accept them gracefully, remember - it's the thought that counts. 
Also, don't rely on the postmark for date of sending - the post around here is dreadful and cards etc. are often franked by a sorting office miles away, with a random date, even when we know for certain the card was posted locally.
Slow-Lane
Slow-Lane
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa
Vehicle Year : 2006

groundhog likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:00 pm

It is a lighthearted question not anything I am bothered about.blush
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:22 pm

groundhog wrote:It is a lighthearted question not anything I am bothered about.blush

Cards are dying out. We send and receive cards with folk we know we will never see again but this year we've got fewer than ever before. Part of this is because of the obvious but others have simply stopped sending them. 

I think it's remarkable that your relative remembers your birthdays, none of my family remembers mine (or they do and don't let on  snigger) Perhaps you could send them a new calendar incase they think the Gregorian or Roman ones are still being used  hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbobaggins Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:31 pm

Not an issue until they forget to put a stamp on the envelope and you have to pay for it. Otherwise isn't costing you anything.

I see great potential for a family sweepstake to see how many days after event date the card arrives. Given recurring birthdays etc as described you could run it as a league over the year with a suitable prize for winner with most accurate guesses. hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:35 pm

We have now cut back heavily on sending Christmas cards. There used to be loads on our annual list where the Christmas card exchange was the only contact for years. Now, we only send cards if we have actually had at least one form of direct contact during the preceding year in person, by telephone, text message, WhatsApp or email etc.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

groundhog and IanH like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:38 pm

Bilbobaggins wrote:Not an issue until they forget to put a stamp on the envelope and you have to pay for it. Otherwise isn't costing you anything.

I see great potential for a family sweepstake to see how many days after event date the card arrives. Given recurring birthdays etc as described you could run it as a league over the year with a suitable prize for winner with most accurate guesses. hugegrins

I've got a card for one of my sisters that I forgot to take when I saw her on her birthday last year, so I am saving it to give to her this year. If I remember to take it . . .

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

groundhog and mcalid like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:53 pm

GH, I’d laugh at it but I’d not start doing the same, although I’d maybe post his really early smile!
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Slow-Lane Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:27 pm

rogerblack wrote:We have now cut back heavily on sending Christmas cards. There used to be loads on our annual list where the Christmas card exchange was the only contact for years. Now, we only send cards if we have actually had at least one form of direct contact during the preceding year in person, by telephone, text message, WhatsApp or email etc.

We do the opposite: we don't bother too much about cards for people we see regularly, but use the annual card exchange as a way to keep in touch with friends we haven't seen for a while (sometimes not for years).
Slow-Lane
Slow-Lane
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:28 pm

Some good ideas there, but before I pitch it on dragons den I have a cunning plan!
How about having a "chain card" so in year one you sent it to someone then next year they send it back, After two years you earn a rotation for which you get something like a discount voucher sponsored by any old company. It grows by the rotation so the discount vouchers get more valuable and so on until there is a grand prize when you have earned 25 rotations! No problems only opportunities! allthumbz
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

mcalid and Bilbobaggins like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbobaggins Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:28 pm

Sounds very environmentally friendly with a perpetual card, so very low carbon footprint for production, plus added advantage of keeping Royal Mail employed, although there will be a carbon impact in posting the card.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:41 pm

groundhog wrote:Some good ideas there, but before I pitch it on dragons den I have a cunning plan!
How about having a "chain card" so in year one you sent it to someone then next year they send it back, After two years you earn a rotation for which you get something like a discount voucher sponsored by any old company. It grows by the rotation so the discount vouchers get more valuable and so on until there is a grand prize when you have earned 25 rotations! No problems only opportunities! allthumbz

Well at 72 I'd definitely support anything that offered 25 rotations of annual cards  lol4

Donator
Donator

Male

rogerblack, Silver Tourist, Tinwheeler, IanH and Bilbobaggins like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:00 am

The idea is not new. When I was a student in the early 1960s, my girlfriend (now my wife of 50+ years of marriage) was in College in London. I found a card which had a few pages. (With apologies to my Scottish friends - though the card could equally have featured a Cardi) it was called something like "McTavish's Perpetual Card. You sent it with a suitable greeting; on your next celebratory occasion you received it back, with an equally suitable greeting on the next page; and so on.

Don't judge the past by today's mores.

Our European friends don't send Chrstmas cards but New Year cards, some of which arrived last week. 

Cymro

PS: I wouldn't go for the proposed 25 rotations prize card, because at my age I doubt whether I'd get my money's worth!

Last edited by Cymro on Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

mcalid likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:15 am

You see this is how brilliant International co operation works. Askit finds a flaw in the system and Cymro has the answer. Make it a multi purpose card and as you get older there will be a big increase in " Get well soon" messages and so the rotations will increase.

I also have the answer to the age number, I will be 54 this year. After reaching 60 the next decade is counted backwards until you reach 50 then you count upwards again. There is no drawback since when someone asks how old you are and you get it wrong, it doesn't matter as they figure you are old anyway.

No wonder these are called the golden years..... lets_dance
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Cymro likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:38 am

I like GH's reverse counting policy.

Reminds me of the old jar of peas adage.  
Briefly, the idea was that every time you 'made love' before you married, you put a dried pea in a jar.   Once married, you removed a pea each time.  

The odds were that there would still be peas left in the jar when you died . . .

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:56 pm

Just received two Christmas cards, apparently they were "damaged" enroute  scratch head Wonder how that could have happened  Whistle1

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbobaggins Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:57 pm

Not a greetin card, but a parcel that was to have been a Christmas gift....

Just been through to lock up the house and found a card through the door from DPD left at 4pm today saying that parcel has been left in our safe place, went out and collected it thinking 1. Not expecting anything and 2. Three of us were in the house all afternoon and didn't hear the doorbell.

Parcel was labelled for next day delivery, dispatched on 3rd December, no wonder he didn't want to hand it to us shrugg

When this parcel hadn't arrived a week before Christmas SWMBO contacted the retailer who agree it had been collected from them and was classed as lost by DPD so a replacement was sent FOC. This did arrive in time for Christmas. Retailer has since confirmed delivery to SWMBO, so they are aware we now have two of the item (24 piece orange dinner set requested by daughter for her new house).

Wait now to see if they want to arrange uplift as we have no intention of being out of pocket paying for return of set we haven't paid for but similarly want to be fair to retailer as it wasn't their fault and they were very quick with replacement.

Usually found DPD fairly good locally but this is bringing them in to Hermes territory.

Rant over, thanks for listening pc

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:58 pm

We had similar with two garden recliners they never did collect the others so we now have four. Never know your luck they may just nit bother to collect them Bilbo.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:24 pm

Not bad, just had another Christmas 2021 card delivered by Royal Mail today  shrugg

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down