The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Really am a grumpy old man....

+11
breakaleg
Paulmold
Dbvwt
IanH
Askit
mcalid
bikeralw
babian
Bobskate
Tinwheeler
groundhog
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Really am a grumpy old man.... Empty Really am a grumpy old man....

Post by groundhog Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:37 pm

I need help, it is Christmas and I should be full of ho ho ho and jollyness but some things are just doing my head in.

It was all compounded by taking a trip to the late night shopping and Christmas lights in Truro tonight, lets start with M&S. They wanted £58 for a frozen turkey crown, What the hell was the thing hand reared by royalty or blessed by the Pope. I don't even like Turkey, we would never buy it normally, its a joke. I wouldn't mind but there are two of us and it feeds 8 to 10 people. Ok two more are coming for Christmas lunch but it feels like we will be eating the stuff until 2022. We managed to spend over £150 on bits of food, what exactly I am not sure but are they taking the xxxxxx or what. That turkey is still available to the first mug willing to pay that much.

That off my chest, out of the shop and into the street. People, where did it all go wrong, what happened to standards, herds of teenagers wandering around in shops, no masks, no respect and staff taking no notice whatever. Get to the checkout and greeted with "Alright mate".... I am not your bleddy mate, the chap behind me, clearly the worse for something, ramming me in the legs with his walking frame without apology. The rotund ( OK I will say it FAT) greasy haired girl swigging cola from a bottle as she just walks straight in to me as if I am a ghost, then just carries on as though nothing had happened.

Truro isn't even a big City so goodness knows how I would cope in London but how I hate crowds and just the way 90% of people seem to behave these days. Just leave me surrounded by sheep and cauliflowers or bears and cougars and I will be quite happy.

Now lets finally turn to Christmas music, not the traditional carols but if I hear George Michael sing " Last Christmas I gave you my heart" one more time I will scream. What is wrong with "Grandma got run over by a reindeer" or " I feel my ..... tingling, ........ are jingling too". Lets have something different for a change. Obviously the Pogues are exempt from this comment.

I could go on all night but there you have it, I confess I am a miserable old butthead and I am not sorry about it.

I do feel much better having shared it with my friends I have here though.... or maybe now used to have! Really am a grumpy old man.... 1f600 

Stay safe.
'hog
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Paulmold, Cymro, brodco, T&H, rogerblack, Kemerton-bath, Silver Tourist and like this post

Back to top Go down

Really am a grumpy old man.... Empty Re: Really am a grumpy old man....

Post by Tinwheeler Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:54 pm

Oh, dear, Hog. I feel your pain.

By contrast, I visited Asda in St Austell where, although quite busy, it wasn’t crowded and nobody tried to run me down. The shelves were well stocked and Seasonal Goodies were aplenty, including turkey crowns at reasonable prices.

I have to agree about the incessant 'music’ over the tannoy, though, and I can recommend using the volume control on hearing aids.

We escaped quickly, thanks to using the hand held self scanner and left with a full trolley and a wallet lighter to the tune of £60.

Have a good Christmas. xmas_smilie
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobskate Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:09 pm

Hog….if it helps I like turkey so if you want to send an OAP food parcel to Selsdon in would be much appreciated in these hard times.

hugegrins hugegrins
Bobskate
Bobskate
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by babian Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:19 pm

Well that's such a great relief for me !!!!
I thought it was only me that thought those things "every day", (and especially at Christmas) for the last twenty years.
Thankyou Groundhog you have made me feel better about myself this evening, things at last shared with someone else.
Is this called therapy or the like??
babian
babian

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2014

Bobskate likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:45 pm

What a wonderful forum this is, thanks I feel so much better already.
Coming through St Awful tomorrow TW, have to go to Trago Liskeard to find some carpet!
As you sip your eggnog this year here is a little christmas song to share, if the link works that is!
[url=youtube.com/watch??v=MglwLeASnkw]youtube.com/watch??v=MglwLeASnkw[/url]

Looks like it didn't!-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgIwLeASnkw&list=RDMgIwLeASnkw&index=1

Last edited by groundhog on Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:52 pm

People... the bane of my life, well crowds of them are..
I've always suffered from mild panic when I find myself in close proximity to hoards of strangers, so this pandemic and the requirement to keep my distance is no hardship to me.
I watched in horror a news clip of Christmas shoppers on Oxford Street the other day, I swear folk in that crowd would be carried along even if they lifted their feet off the pavement!
It's been 25 years or so since I last entered a shopping precinct, Meadowhall in Sheffield, never again. My idea of hell.
Almost all shopping for me these days is either done online or at open markets.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

gassygassy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:24 pm

Fabulous video, Hog.

Good luck at Trago. I don’t envy you that one so_sad
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by mcalid Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:00 am

I am on the wrong side of a retail counter at this time of year and you would be amazed at the questions we long-suffering staff are asked.
I have to check people's type of door when they buy over-door wreath hangers as PVC doors have a seal all around and this type of hanger will not fit.
My question to a customer today was," What type of door do you have"?
The reply was..."A front one".
I hope Santa has a big bottle whisky for me this year!
mcalid
mcalid
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2008

Nain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by babian Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:14 am

just one question Groundhog, 
as you seem to have more experience of this "grumpy old man syndrome ". 
I'm only guessing you have had more life experience than me (one getting every day closer to 60 )
Will it get worse or better as I travel life's tapestry of situations?
and should I try harder now to "snap out of it" ?
I don't want to alienate my fellow man.
babian
babian

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:19 am

I don't want to steal GHs thunder but my experience is that tolerance disappears in direct relation to the aging process  shrugg

GH, you are not alone. I love Christmas day but hate the scrum that is the run up to the big day, used to be a couple of weeks but now seems to start sometime in September. Just cleared the freezer of last years Turkey leftovers, needed to make room for this years stuff  think_smiley_46

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP

Bobskate likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:29 am

Just as Askit says the older you get so the problem gets worse. As to alienating my fellow man the older I get the less I give a......!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Cymro, BobK and Bilbobaggins like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:41 am

I'm afraid Tony's right, a graph of tolerance v age is a steep curve.
There was a TV programme on the other day dedicated to charting the origin of traditional Christmas hymns. A young mother was asked which was her favourite hymn. She replied 'Jingle Bells'.... A few years ago I would have let this go, but on this occasion my wife had to restrain me from throwing a book at the TV set...
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2004

mcalid and Bilbobaggins like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by babian Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:22 am

Or is it like quantum physics.....as we get older , we see more? Observe more?
babian
babian

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:03 pm

I don't think you're the exception Hog, it's an age thing!

There are ways around it though, or at least pre planning, I already do this......

You know you're following an old person out of a shop or supermarket, when for no apparent reason they stop in the narrowest part of the doorway. Now, not wishing to be ageist here, I'm 70 now so qualified I think, but its always old people and usually not male!!!

So I got to thinking, how can I prepare myself so I don't do this when I'm older?? Took a bit of work but finally got it, I needed a GAUGE!

A friend of mine is always round about 2 yrs older than me and we have near identical backgrounds etc, BUT he is 2 yrs older. So now he is my GAUGE, he is obliged to report to me when he finds himself doing such things and to let me know the date, so we can work out a plan of forewarning for me!!!  hugegrins hugegrins

He absolutely hates this BTW which makes it even more fun! His first report was when he found his slippers in the fridge, worryingly he was only 69 then!

Another grumpy one but someone a bit younger, 50's or so. He's a real geek, dictionary definition!  He was working away from home, often does as a contractor, and using trains to commute, 2 or more hours. So he always booked a table seat in a quiet carriage, so he could work away on this laptop and use the time wisely.

Virtually always, he would have some mong sitting right under the big telephone with a red line  on it sign and then, noisily and annoyingly use his phone. So, ***** not real name, designed a solution. It is a jammer and not only ceased all phone calls in that carriage but prevents other too!! This gave him great fun and thoroughly p*sed off the miscreants, double whammy!

I've asked him to make me one, slightly different, which silences ALL XMAS "MUSIC" in supermarkets, you know the kind which starts in October and lasts till January!!

So, Hog, you're in good company, especially reading the other replies to your post up! allthumbz hugegrins
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

groundhog, mikethebike, Tinwheeler and Bilbobaggins like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:17 pm

You miserable old lot!! 
I’ve got Heart Xmas streaming on the Sonus while wrapping a few presents and I’m loving it, especially when Last Xmas just came on (sorry Hog) followed by my favourite, driving home for Xmas smile!
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

rgermain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:56 pm

Dbvwt wrote:You miserable old lot!! 
I’ve got Heart Xmas streaming on the Sonus while wrapping a few presents and I’m loving it, especially when Last Xmas just came on (sorry Hog) followed by my favourite, driving home for Xmas smile!

censored! lol4
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Dbvwt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:08 pm

Aiming for prime miserable git here!
Favourite day. Boxing day, 364 days then till the next one!!! hugegrins

Worse still on freesat 178, is never ending Christmas Hits Non-stop!! censored! censored!
Happy Xmas anyway Dave.!!!!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

mcalid and Dbvwt like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:41 pm

Normally a Classic FM listener, just about tolerate the ads although I would cheerfully strangle Philip Schofield.

ATM generally lasts about 10 minutes before something Christmas comes on then off it goes. I don't think "good" Christmas music exists.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobskate Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:32 am

HairyFool wrote:Normally a Classic FM listener, just about tolerate the ads although I would cheerfully strangle Philip Schofield.

ATM generally lasts about 10 minutes before something Christmas comes on then off it goes. I don't think "good" Christmas music exists.
I agree…gave up Classic FM years ago after being told by endless saccharine voices to relax and unwind. The best programme is Radio 3 Petroc Trelawny at breakfast
Bobskate
Bobskate
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:10 am

Petroc Trelawny, never heard of him but should have he grew up just down the road from us, went to school in Helston it seems. favourite radio stations are Pirate FM down here in Cornwall and when in Nanaimo it is Jack FM. Great thing these days is you can get them on line anywhere in the World of course. Anyway, back to being grumpy...
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobskate Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:20 am

groundhog wrote:Anyway, back to being grumpy...
I’ve just fallen in. This being grumpy is just a ploy so that with your reputation you  will find nobody pitching either side of you….however full the site! More space to spread out……
Bobskate
Bobskate
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:38 am

Bobskate wrote:
groundhog wrote:Anyway, back to being grumpy...
I’ve just fallen in. This being grumpy is just a ploy so that with your reputation you  will find nobody pitching either side of you….however full the site! More space to spread out……
No need to be grumpy to get nobody pitching either side, just have a van conversion with a sliding door, like Bobskate and us, and nobody wants to be next to that slamming noise. Even if you have a quiet door, the perception is enough to make others steer clear.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

mikethebike and Bobskate like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:25 am

Listen, I was a Salesman for Mr Kipling Cakes for 27 years and have earnt the rite to be grumpy at Christmas. We had used to enjoy our day off over the festive period though.  rolleyes
breakaleg
breakaleg

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo Ek
Vehicle Year : 2021

Bobskate likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:26 pm

Might as well go camping just wasted £4,50 on the TV times to see what's on over the holidays, what a load of rubbish.
Apart from a few bright spots shan't be bothering to turn the TV on. Thank heavens for amazon prime and my flight simulator.
Bah humbug
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbobaggins Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:37 pm

Thanks for the heads up GH, I will put my £4.50 to better use and use the electronic guide for telly.

After years as an apprentice carmudgeon I feel I have also earned the right to be grumpy, need to have some pleasure in life.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next