The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Travels of my Angles-Morts stickers

+5
TeamRienza
PLOUGHLIN
Peter Brown
Bad Penny
Quilter
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Travels of my Angles-Morts stickers Empty Travels of my Angles-Morts stickers

Post by Quilter Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:51 pm

Two days ago I ordered 3 Angles-Morts stickers. This is their journey so far. They are due to arrive on Friday.

Can anyone explain why, once they had arrived at Tilbury ( City airport ?) for customs clearance, they then have to either go to Belgium or customs clearance has to be inititated in Belgium ? 

Wednesday, 6 October
3:25 AM
Initiated customs clearance process
Mouscron, BE

Tuesday, 5 October
1:49 AM
Tilbury, United Kingdom 
12:31 AM
Package departed an Amazon facility
Sabadell, Barcelona ES

Monday, 4 October
4:54 PM
Package arrived at an Amazon facility
Barcelona, Barcelona ES

Carrier picked up the package.

These things are better travelled than we are at the moment !
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Travels of my Angles-Morts stickers Empty Re: Travels of my Angles-Morts stickers

Post by Bad Penny Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:43 pm

I understood you only need them if over 3500kg. Perhaps Iv’e jumped the gun a little, as your Broadway may have been uprated.

Still a peculiar route though.
Bad Penny
Bad Penny
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway owner
Vehicle Year : 2014 mod

Back to top Go down

Travels of my Angles-Morts stickers Empty Re: Travels of my Angles-Morts stickers

Post by Quilter Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:55 pm

Bad Penny wrote:I understood you only need them if over 3500kg. Perhaps Iv’e jumped the gun a little, as your Broadway may have been uprated.

Still a peculiar route though.

Yes, it’s uprated. We don’t intend to stick them on unless we are forced to travel via France due to bad weather or cancellation of the ferry to Spain. This has happened twice before.

I’d put them on anyway if I thought they would be the slightest bit of use but I can see no way that something the size of a tablet screen could prevent a cyclist getting squashed by a 6.5 m x 2.4 m white van with bikes and striped backboard on it. If they cannot see the van when close enough to be knocked over by it or understand that all vehicules have blind spots where the driver can’t see you, then they really should not be cycling on public roads.

I will store them in the locker where we used to keep our 2 breathalysers….
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:48 pm

I've been trying to find definitive information as to where they should be fitted on the vehicle - has anyone sussed that?
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:18 pm

Peter Brown wrote:I've been trying to find definitive information as to where they should be fitted on the vehicle - has anyone sussed that?

On rear right side and on sides at front between 0.9m and 1.5m above the ground.

https://sar-sped.com/en/2021/02/02/france-blind-spot-warning-stickers-angles-morts/

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:26 pm

The snag with the official measurements is that they do not allow for having ( covered) bikes on the back. It is permitted, if the area where they should be, is obscured, to have them a little higher but that would be too high in our case for a vulnerable cyclists to see them at all. We don’t think they would last very long if stuck to our bike cover so I might have to sew the wretched things on !
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:32 pm

Im ok with the one on the back but define the front of the side? Wing, Door or Body?
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:38 pm

The FFC express tutorial on fitting Peter

https://www.franceroutes.fr/actualites/angle-mort-bientot-une-affiche-obligatoire-sur-les-camions-en-milieu-urbain/

Incidentally, I understand that the “ milieu- urbain” bit is a bit of a myth and does not mean you do not need them in country villages or back roads.

I also understand that, at present anyway, there are only 2 options for stickers that are officially sanctioned: the bus picture and the lorry picture. Ones with motorhome pictures are unofficial !
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:40 pm

Peter Brown wrote:Im ok with the one on the back but define the front of the side? Wing, Door or Body?
Travels of my Angles-Morts stickers French-Blind-Spot-sticker-16-01-2021.png

Travels of my Angles-Morts stickers French-death-zone-blind-spot-warning-stickers-16-01-2021

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:43 pm

That's good thanks, I would interpret it as far forward as you can get the minimum height?
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

PLOUGHLIN likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:46 pm

Peter Brown wrote:That's good thanks, I would interpret it as far forward as you can get the minimum height?

Or, to keep to the spirit of the thing Peter, you could sit in your cab and work out exactly where your blind spots are and stick the stickers on accordingly.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:49 pm

Re Peters pictures - the Sprinter has a wing in the height band - what do you think of the location shown below

Travels of my Angles-Morts stickers Inked210
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:58 pm

I've just had a horrible thought - I (usually) can skip a lot of over 3500 restrictions as vans of my size are usually 3500 - putting these stickers on will advise that I'm over 3500 and therefore prohibited from a long length of road that runs along the north bank of the Loire and many other places.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:01 pm

Quilter wrote:Two days ago I ordered 3 Angles-Morts stickers. This is their journey so far. They are due to arrive on Friday.

Can anyone explain why, once they had arrived at Tilbury ( City airport ?) for customs clearance, they then have to either go to Belgium or customs clearance has to be inititated in Belgium ? 

Wednesday, 6 October
3:25 AM
Mouscron, BE

Tuesday, 5 October
1:49 AM
Tilbury, United Kingdom 
12:31 AM
Package departed an Amazon facility
Sabadell, Barcelona ES

Monday, 4 October
4:54 PM
Package arrived at an Amazon facility
Barcelona, Barcelona ES

Carrier picked up the package.

These things are better travelled than we are at the moment !

Should have bought "made in UK" ones. https://www.safety-label.co.uk/products/blind-spot-angles-morts-coach-bus-sticker?currency=GBP&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlJKyndW48wIVwrHtCh2EpQIoEAQYASABEgJ2T_D_BwE&variant=39264980074539

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:08 pm

I've just arranged for another three to take a European trip - before they get to the van.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:15 pm

Peter Brown wrote:I've just had a horrible thought - I (usually) can skip a lot of over 3500 restrictions as vans of my size are usually 3500 - putting these stickers on will advise that I'm over 3500 and therefore prohibited from a long length of road that runs along the north bank of the Loire and many other places.

Magnetic ones in this link? Some stick on metal strip for the back.

https://www.safety-label.co.uk/products/blind-spot-angles-morts-coach-bus-sticker?currency=GBP&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlJKyndW48wIVwrHtCh2EpQIoEAQYASABEgJ2T_D_BwE&variant=39264980074539

But beware of the 135 euro fine if caught without.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:21 pm

To be honest, my biggest concern is justifying the need for these awful looking signs to my wife - a few €135 fines might be the easier option.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:25 pm

Peter Brown wrote:To be honest, my biggest concern is justifying the need for these awful looking signs to my wife - a few €135 fines might be the easier option. 

The Brittany lorry drivers organisation have got up a petition to the French government complaining that they were not asked about this new regulation and, the ugly stickers will spoil the beautiful murals painted on the side of their lorries. There are photos to illustrate.

Perhaps your wife could get one up in UK ?
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by TeamRienza Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:27 pm

Here is a link to the locations specified for the stickers,

https://ofae.gr/en/nea/international-news/gallia-egkatastash-systhmatos-proeidopoihshs-gia-t/

To be honest, I don’t think a bit of slippage will be an issue as many of us have positioning issues such as yours. I am just finishing 3 weeks in France in my 3850kg wagon complete with stickers and UK sign.
My biggest concern, rather like yours, is that we now advertise our weight. Not been an issue on toll motorways, although I have a transceiver on the screen and associated account. However speed cameras seem more prevalent than I recall and I have been flashed twice. I do think (hope) they were for vehicles overtaking me at the time, but we now again advertise that our permitted max speed is lower on motorways, and so many main roads remain at 80 kph, so it is easy to stray over although my Tom Tom beeps at 4kph over the limit which is useful. With regard to weight restrictions on roads and villages, I have simply continued to transit as required. Bear in mind that if the red circle has a truck in profile, you are probably ok, it is the one with 3.5 tonnes printed in the centre that must be obeyed.
We get on the ferry for home tomorrow and I shall remove the stickers to reduce the potential for paint fade being different where the stickers are currently placed. I also ensured that mine were only on flat surfaces and not overlaying decals to avoid damage on removal.

Davy

Edit, I did have to move one, due to overlaying a decal, but it peeled easily and smoothly, so no issues or residue.

Last edited by TeamRienza on Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : addition info.)
TeamRienza
TeamRienza
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Used to own a Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2006 Mk6

Back to top Go down

Post by Bad Penny Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:21 pm

Thank goodness we are 3500kg and travel light. Will still be ok if diverted through France. We will not stand out as the only stickers we will have are UK ones, not even a Cymru one.
Bad Penny
Bad Penny
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway owner
Vehicle Year : 2014 mod

Caraman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:14 am

Peter Brown wrote:I've just had a horrible thought - I (usually) can skip a lot of over 3500 restrictions as vans of my size are usually 3500 - putting these stickers on will advise that I'm over 3500 and therefore prohibited from a long length of road that runs along the north bank of the Loire and many other places.
I'd be tempted to do the same. It's the sort of thing they might check if they have already stopped you and are looking for issues, but if you don't draw attention to yourself and drive and park sensibly, perhaps they will have better things to do.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:27 am

v8oholic wrote:I'd be tempted to do the same. It's the sort of thing they might check if they have already stopped you and are looking for issues, but if you don't draw attention to yourself and drive and park sensibly, perhaps they will have better things to do.

Apart from one bridge over a dyke in the Marais-Poitevin, which we went over anyway as it was too late /far to go back, I don't think we have come across anywhere we would wish to go but are prohibited from doing so since we uprated the van. I don't think we are ever over-weight at 3,500kg as we travel pretty light but it is reassuring to me that we don't have to worry. 

I don't think however I could drive easy if I thought we were breaking the law by not showing the stickers. I am not usually one for conspiracy theory but even I suspect the authorities in France may be paying a little more attention to UK plated vehicles for a while. Does the E135 fine go down on your record ?
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Travels of my Angles-Morts stickers Empty Answer

Post by Rollercoaster Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:14 pm

Quilter wrote:Two days ago I ordered 3 Angles-Morts stickers. This is their journey so far. They are due to arrive on Friday.

Yes.  In a word: Brexit!

Now you know why I voted to remain....
Rollercoaster
Rollercoaster

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:28 pm

My three arrived this morning by post from Bulgaria, took six days and cost £8.73 inc postage. They are in the van buts its very unlikely they'll get on the van as they look awful.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Fontie Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:35 pm

I drive a Warwick XL that I have uprated, I am hoping the French police wont bother me because its a panel van. I have got stickers and will plead ignorance if challenged and put them on.
Fontie
Fontie

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2020

v8oholic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next