The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rienza Travels

3 posters

Go down

Rienza Travels Empty Rienza Travels

Post by Dave 418 Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:56 pm

We have just had a fortnight away mostly on the east coast, Northumberland and Scotland. A good trip but not without a few minor problems.
One morning I had my  shower followed by herself to be told there was no water. The tank was nearly full but I then noticed the pump wasn't running. Empty the wardrobe and remove the base to get to the pump. After checking the connections the pump started working. Sprayed the terminals with contact cleaner and the problem was solved.
After a few days the step alarm didn't sound when the ignition was turned on and the step stayed out. A fix when we get home, rember to retract the step before moving off.
Heading back south via Glencoe the gas ran out. Not a problem , swap bottles. Two days later the gas ran out again. This was a bit odd because we had been on the first bottle for a long time. Checking the date on the bottles, I always put the date fitted on the bottle with marker pen all became clear.
After a bit of a think we remembered the bottles were removed during the habitation service to secure the regulator. They must have fitted the pig tail to the full bottle leaving us with a nearly empty bottle. This means one 6kg bottle lasted from late Febuary until mid July.
This afternoon I checked the step problem to find the cover for the motor was hanging off and the mounting lugs were brocken pulling the wires off the switch. I have a done a repair on the cover and  I will order a switch tomorrow.
A good trip, 1350 miles in a fortnight using a mix of camp sites, Brit Stops and Camper Contact Stop Overs.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Rienza Travels Empty Re: Rienza Travels

Post by burlingtonboaby Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:13 pm

Hi Dave
Sorry to read you had some problems with your van. Hope it's all sorted now.
how was Glencoe,many midge.?
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:33 pm

Hi Boaby, When we got to the ski centre you couldnt see the tops of the mountains for mist. The chair lift was vanishing after about half way up. We only called to empty the tanks and cassette deciding not to overnight due to the weather changing. 
The whole trip was free from  midges as we were on the east coast until the middle of week two. I was prepared for midges during lunch at Loch Ness and in the forest around Brig o Turk and Kielder but they didnt show up.  Having been walking in Glen Affic many years ago and being invaded badly I was ready for them to show.
The problems during the trip I could sort enough to keep us going. Having the room I carry more bits and tools than most. I am a trained bodger and the Rienza is not bodge proof like the newer motorhomes.
We bough a gas bottle in Helmsley as that was the next stop. It was a pound cheaper than my local supplier. I didnt buy two bottles because it is a bit tight getting the second bottle out and I wanted a brew and a shower 
On this matter I read about other forum users having gas problems abroad and having to use local bottles. We had a problem with bottles on our Duetto, one empty bottle and a leaking bottle. We bought a small single burner stove and bottles we can buy in most countries including Halfords here. We managed for two weeks like that and keep that stove in the Rienza now as a stand by. As management says they used a Camping Gaz stove all through the power cuts and strikes in the sixties and seventies. 
Its times like that I wounder if we really need all these nice things like showers, heaters and cookers. Er yes !!. We have become used to living in our homes on wheels like we do at home.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:03 pm

The suss and bodge of the en route repairs started today when the step switch arrived. Fitting the switch was not a great problem. When the ignition was turned on the buzzer sounded but the step stayed out. After a bit of thinking I tried the switch by the door and the step tried to go in. After much sussing and boggling I found a blown fuse under the drivers seat. Replacing it didn't do a lot blowing again.
I then took the switch off the pannel by the door. There are five wires including two black. Removing the black ones stopped the fuse blowing. I can only assume the black wires earth the step relay to pull the step in. As with the fridge saga this age of Ford earth components to operate via the vehicle ECU.
I am clutching at straws but I will get a switch tomorrow and see what happens. It looks like the original and available locally also not expensive.
Whilst doing battle with the step and tracing wiring from the switch I found the step relay behind the fridge hanging by the loom. I suppose it makes some sense because it is near the switch and above the step but the fuse is under the drivers seat. As my son, electrical trained, said the fuse should be near the power source. Why didn't they fit the relay there as well. I will tidy the wiring and secure the relay at the end of this saga.
If this isn't sorted by next weekend we will have to get a step to get our old muttley in the van whilst we are away. walkies
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:20 pm

Keep the heed Dave, you'll sort it, to hot to be crawling about a van.
I spend a couple of hours on the van today, cleaning the roof , gull pooh, sand and dead leaves.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:44 pm

It was a bit warm I must agree. Most of front of the house in in shade after lunch and the breeze with the door and widows open wasn't too bad. I have had the joy of working on hot vehicles many years ago. You couldn't tell some irate officer to wait for his tank to cool down before it is fixed.
I keep thinking I should wash the van before we go away but that can wait., I don't think the people at Thornton le Dale or Filey will care if it's clean.
I have just been out to close things down and now realise how much I need the step. Never mind muttley my aged knees and hip aren't going to like the lack of step for long.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:05 am

Hi Dave
Have a look in Mathewsons classic car showroom in T LE Dale, some nice oldies in there, should be a sale in August.
Filey in very busy,as the schools are off at the moment, Bridlington beaches are parked.
Enjoy your holiday 
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:17 pm

Update on the step saga. After a bit of sussing and boggling I was getting some really odd results like I did sorting the fridge.  scratch head
Before I charged off to spend £6 on a switch I had a further think. Step goes out ok, power step in or turn on ignition fuse blows, step stays out.  tap_fingers   I had a word with some one I used for fixing caravan electrics when I was working at the road side. Advise is free but call out cost money he said so it was worth a phone call. 
He recons the motors can short at one end of there movement. A bit of wire swapping proved his point. The step went in and blew the fuse. The easy fix would be to carry lots of fuses but he said it would be awkward if the motor failed completely with the step out. This is looking like a new motor  censored! , Thats more travel money I didnt want to spend. I will go on our next short trip and think about this issue.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:30 pm

Our weekend away went well minus the step. Management had a sudden memory moment on Saturday whilst packed to leave on Sunday. She said she remembers seeing a folding step in a cheap shop in town, problem behind which shop shrugg
After a trudge round two shops I found the steps in the Range. £8.00 for a small plastic folding step seemed a good deal. It should last until I get the momentum to change the step motor. It helps getting in and out of the motorhome. Muttley still needs boosting in. His launch legs are a bit wonky and he can't see the step too well. Landing he manages by falling fairly well out of the door. We managed a walk without stiles so he had a good couple of nights away apart from falling in a stream and needing a boost into the train carriage.
hoover
Whist in the Range management found a hanging up thingy with lots of pockets. It is hanging on the coat hooks by the door. The shoes and slippers fit in the bottom pockets other junk that gets dumped on the work top like keys dogy bags etc can be tidied away.
When we stopped for lunch on the way home I opened the cupboard door to be met by an avalanche of rice crispies. Who didn't close the packet after brecky this morning. Whistle1 No matter we will be giving everything a good clean before Flying Proms. hoover_smiley11
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:05 pm

had_idea Between thunderstorms I managed to take the motor off the step today. It is different from any that are for sale. Mine has metal gears in it and looks bigger. Thinks this could be a problem but after a bit of further sussing and boggling I found the plastic connection block was split so if you powered up the motor it will keep running if you keep the connectors apart.
I was able to repair the plastic block and secure the wires to keep them apart. Hopefully I will refit the motor next and sort out the cover and wiring. My electrician friend is on standby to help.
The step we bought will stay in the locker if this problem happens again.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:41 pm

:shrugg:The step saga goes on. Motorhome/Caravan Electrician has been here since ten this morning and he cant get it sorted. He said he will seek further advise and call me back. If nothing comes of this I am going to have to try some one else.
A wiring diagram with more detail than the handbook would be a great help. I cant see Autosleepers having a wiring diagram for this age of motorhome but I will give them a try next week after Flying Proms weekend away.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:52 pm

shrugg I tried Autosleepers regarding the problems with my step as a last resort. As I thought they couldn’t help but could book it in for repair by them. No one locally can sort it including my friendly local caravan electrician. Being earth switched it makes the wiring very different.
Due to a long none motorhome trip for a nearly two months I am leaving this until the habitation service in the new year. They said being nearer to a bigger city they have more choice of electricians.
This fault has been a long running saga that I thought couldn’t be much of a problem to sort out. So much for simple electrics on older motorhomes. tap_fingers
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:31 pm

I have a brand-new, boxed electric step, bought it to fit my old van, then sold the van!!
New van already has a lecy step, so its surplus to requirements!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:39 pm

Thanks for the offer but as per the original thread it’s the wiring that is causing the problem. The handbook wiring diagram is next to useless. It shows the wiring as far as the fuse for the step after that it says “step”. No mention of the relay or any of the ignition wiring.
One odd side to this is mutely dos the get his legs tangled up falling through the gap in the back of the step. He seems to manage the cheep plastic step better sit
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down