The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Burford Duo and Crazed/Delam Dometic windows

2 posters

Go down

Burford Duo and Crazed/Delam Dometic windows Empty Burford Duo and Crazed/Delam Dometic windows

Post by Wallace Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:30 pm

Evening All, we went to look at a used Burford Duo today. Very low mileage on a 16 plate, and in most respects a very lovely motorhome.

Every window on the offside is damaged by a crazing/delamination that seems to go around the edge of the windows to a lesser or greater extent. In the past I have seen crazing that originates around catches, and damage caused by chemical reaction, but this appears to be something else. It is only on the offside. The damage cannot be felt from either the outside or the inside of the windows. Nearside windows are perfect. The offside of the motorhome seems to be sitting in the sun all day, and I suspect that the owner has the blinds dropped to keep the MH interiors from fading. Is this a known thing with either Dometic/Seitz or AS? Also the wide rubbery cover strip that runs around the side of the MH from front to rear seems to be badly degraded on the offside also, which seems to point to heat, sun or UV damage. Has anyone ever had one of these replaced? Many thanks.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Wallace
Wallace

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Cotswold EB
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Burford Duo and Crazed/Delam Dometic windows Empty Re: Burford Duo and Crazed/Delam Dometic windows

Post by gassygassy Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:09 am

The reason the windows are crazed is that the owner as you suggested must have kept the blinds down. The manufacturers of at least one of my motorhomes, as well as the window manufacturers include the instruction not to do that because it traps the heat in the window. You should always leave about a 3" gap for hot air to 'circulate'.
However all is not lost. Don't bother asking A/S for prices for new windows they will be about £300 each. Buy the motorhome, allowing of course for the window replacement costs, and go to eeco somewhere up north, Huddersfield I think.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I needed a new window for a 1981 caravan I am rebuilding and I took the broken one there and they made a new one for £160. So long as they already have the mould, and you aren't claiming it on insurance, their price is very cheap. You take the window there, you collect the new window, you pay cash and it's £160 or something like that. If you claim on insurance, courier it there and they courier it back it will be £400 ish.

So do buy it, get new windows and remember to not do what the previous owner did. Check the tyres on that side as well, see if they have cracks from sunlight although I would be surprised if you have that on a 2016 van. My 2009 one did so I had to renew them all.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 1 Bourton 1 Polensa
Vehicle Year : various

Back to top Go down

Burford Duo and Crazed/Delam Dometic windows Empty Re: Burford Duo and Crazed/Delam Dometic windows

Post by Wallace Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:44 pm

Thanks for the reply. It makes very good sense what caused this problem. Things got worse with zero service history since new and a hab check last carried out in 2019. I just got to wondering what else was wrong with it. On paper it looked great but in reality, despite its levellers, air suspension, satellite dish etc. I decided that it simply wasn't worth a punt.
Wallace
Wallace

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Cotswold EB
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:40 pm

None of that would deter me in the slightest.
No service history : You may well find that the first service out of the factory is due at 30,000 miles. I was shocked when I first saw this as specified on a Fiat Ducato. So even if it hasn't been serviced it doesn't mean it is rubbish or worn out. I don't know if Citroen have the same sercvice mileage interval but you need to bear in mind that these are commercial vehicles built to do 30,000 miles a year and last ten years doing that. The manufacturers of course recommend annual servicing but if it is low mileage the annual service requirement is really nothing much more than pumping up the tyres and charging you £50 for £30 worth of engine oil which your engine doesn't need anyway.
Hab check 2019: These very rarely throw up faults so that wouldn't put me off either. You could ask the seller to have one done of course, same as the engine service.
Windows: Allow £500 for new ones and you will have change for a week of camp sites. Changing them involves undoing one screw at the end of the channel, removing the struts each end, sliding the window out, sliding the new one in and doing up the screws. Tools required: one screwdriver. Intelligence required: hardly any. Just look for the screws, undo them, refit the new window, do up the screws.

Presumably you know the rough value - presumably also it is a private sale? - so all you have to do is buy it for £2000 less than the private market value which in turn will be AT LEAST £5000 less than a dealer. Knock the seller down and you will get a bargain I think.
If the price is very attractive, as it should be, you should get it.
gassygassy
gassygassy
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 1 Bourton 1 Polensa
Vehicle Year : various

Back to top Go down