The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Burford Duo “XL”

4 posters

Go down

Burford Duo “XL” Empty Burford Duo “XL”

Post by Lefty Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:20 am

After looking at many makes of MH and owning a Hymer, we think the Burford Duo is one of the best designed MH’s and we have purchased a 2021 model, but I do think an extra long Tag Axle version would be a fantastic option. The extra 1/2 m being all at the rear as a full height and width garage with a large rear opening door as seen on the Frankla. Also to have a access roller door from the rear bath room. I would buy one tomorrow if autoSleeper decided to make this. I know the RSP would be around 100k, but the standard Burford Duo is 86k.

Love to hear what other forum members think of this idea and also if autoSleeper are listening what their thoughts are?
Lefty
Lefty

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Burford Duo
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Burford Duo “XL” Empty Re: Burford Duo “XL”

Post by Molly Motorhome Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:12 am

Hi Lefty,
I also would have liked a garage on my Burford but Tag axle implied Alcan chassis?? which is or is supposed to be an option on the new Sprinter chassis but that would mean FWD with all the extra weight rear of the rear axles.

I swapped to RWD because of traction issues with FWD when towing 1.3 tonnes of car and trailer and all the MH weight bias towards the rear end.

A lot of people already think the Burford is two big (not me) so not sure how a larger van you go down. 

The Burford already benefits from rear air suspension so loading the rear up even more would probably make that a necessity.

How is the wheelbase calculated on a Tag Axle chassis and where would the 60% beyond the rear axle be measured from, making it even longer might not be possible.

Would this require a 5 tonne sprinter?
If this was possible, personally I'd be waiting for the 190BHP 9-speed auto version smile!

I think you would be well north of £100K.
Molly Motorhome
Molly Motorhome

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Buford
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:20 am

Plenty of vans in the States based on the Dodge Sprinter  with twin rear wheels as opposed to tag axle, I would love to see a tag axle like a Winchcombe XL with fixed bed. As to cost it would be worth paying over 100k as the real cost is the depreciation not what you pay for it in the first place. A new Winchcombe or Burford is probably around £75 to £80k now.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly Motorhome Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:14 am

Read 'Twin rear wheels' for 'Tag Axle' in my post.
Do Merc supply a twin rear wheel drive chassis option?
Molly Motorhome
Molly Motorhome

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:23 am

Molly Motorhome wrote:Read 'Twin rear wheels' for 'Tag Axle' in my post.
Do Merc supply a twin rear wheel drive chassis option?

I think they do, but in 5000kg form.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Lefty Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:48 pm

Thanks for everyones comments, I also think it would be double rear wheel on a 5000kg chassis, but I would go for it if available. My Burford as standard does not have air suspension but i am fitting the VB Full air system in July as well as the E&P leveling system. I just think a Burford XL would be the idea Motor Home with a full size rear garage. I will be asking AutoSleeper if they could make one for me.
Lefty
Lefty

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Burford Duo
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly Motorhome Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:04 pm

Current Burford has the maximum rear wheel overhang allowed (60% of wheelbase, I think) so any longer would require a longer wheelbase.
Molly Motorhome
Molly Motorhome

Male

Back to top Go down