The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

P for Parking signs

3 posters

Go down

P for Parking signs Empty P for Parking signs

Post by Paulmold Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:13 pm

Follow the P signs, then there are no further signs, haven't seen a car park, then you continue for 2 miles to find somewhere to turn round and try again. 
Went into Stamford today, horrendous traffic queues into town from every direction. Found Sainsburys and Lidl for some restocking then wanted to park up and look round the town. According to Park-my-Motorhome there are 4 car parks with motorhome spaces. Only saw 1 P sign , followed the direction, then never saw another sign, eventually turned around and headed back and joined the queue again, gave up, drove away. Luckily we had been before but I know it's a lovely stone town that I'd like to have seen again.

Similar experience at Lancaster, followed signs for 'coach parking ' as only car parks we found were multi-storey , then no further signs, heaven knows where the coaches go. Next time I'll use the park n ride.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

P for Parking signs Empty Re: P for Parking signs

Post by Guest Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:45 am

It has always been a bugbear of mine of signs pointing to a number of destinations which disappear from the posts before you actually get to the destination.

That and non existent street signs. No point in directions to turn down  or after "XYZ" road when the sign for "XYZ" road is missing  censored!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Eltel Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:44 am

On a similar note as you approach what the locals call the Walton roundabout from the north on the A34 in Stone Staffs signs indicate of a diversion ahead.

Problem is one says left, one says right and one says straight ahead.

Oh and there are aren’t any actual divisions.
Eltel
Eltel
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:03 pm

Paulmold wrote:.........Next time I'll use the park n ride.
.............and your bus pass. :snigger:Trouble with park and rides is that you get up to the entrance, with a couple of cars behind you and there is a 6ft height barrier. So you politely ask all the cars behind you to reverse out into the main road while you extract yourself, go and park outside someone's house in a nearby street, walk back to the park and ride, and go into town.
OR .. . as in Oxford, you can either get your MH into the P&R and pay £3 for the fare into town, or you can follow a bus going towards town, park in the street somewhere along the bus's route and use your bus pass free of charge.
One in Holland was very impressive. Park your MH, no height barriers. The bus comes along and stops under a lamp post. Its cantilever rises up from the roof and clamps on to the lamp post. It is recharging its batteries for 15 minutes. You get on, travel into town where it stops and raises its cantilever and charges for another 15 mins. I asked the driver if that recharging is enough for the journeys and he said no, they have to plug it into the mains overnight back at the bus station. Anyway I was impressed.
gassygassy
gassygassy
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 1 Bourton 1 Polensa
Vehicle Year : various

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:10 pm

Can't use my Welsh bus pass in England (and you can't use your English one in Wales). I always check out P&R's on the Web before using to make sure if height barriers are present. Lancaster doesn't have them.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down