The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

daytime parking ?

+7
daisy mae
Knick-Knack
rgermain
rogerblack
bikeralw
Quilter
Paulmold
11 posters

Go down

daytime parking ? Empty daytime parking ?

Post by Guest Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:31 pm

Hi all,

My wife and I recently acquired our first camper van, an AS Flair (based on the Mk3 Transit). We're just getting ready to take it for its first outing – booked in for two nights at a campsite a couple of hours' drive away.

One thing we hadn't previously considered was daytime parking restrictions. Say we want to visit a nearby town during the day; it seems many local councils put 2m height restrictions on all their car parks. Being Transit-based, our van fits easily into a standard car parking space in terms of length and width… but is 2.6m high, so won't fit in any height-restricted council car park.

When you're visiting a town for a day, how do you go about finding a suitable parking location?

Thanks in advance!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

daytime parking ? Empty Re: daytime parking ?

Post by Paulmold Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:00 pm

Supermarkets are usually a good bet along with retail parks. Normally on edge of town so not too far to walk and often 3 hours free.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:04 pm

We’ve always found this website very helpful. I’m really sorry to see that is is folding later this year:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

We do make more use of public transport when we have the van, finding a park and ride and going into a town or city by bus. It is always worth ringing the traffic officer of any local authority that you intend to visit. I have always found them to be helpful, often suggesting parking places we had missed or, in a few cases, allowing us to use coach parking, accessed by intercom.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:07 pm

This isn't as good but it's early days...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:09 pm

In my experience when visiting any sizable touristy town of worth it's better to use park and ride if provided rather than end up following parking signs, only to discover when there's no going back that it's either a multi-story or has height barriers..
For most smaller towns however we find supermarket carparks are best, like you, we fit into a normal parking space, and supermarkets seldom have height barriers. The downside is the one and a half to two hour time limit.
My hometown has barriers on almost all the carparks, the exception being the one signed for motorhomes, however it's also the truck park, and it only takes half a dozen massive artics  to fill it to capacity. Not ideal.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:15 pm

I normally check the council websites, remembering some are under the control of local councils others may be district, plus any other car parking listed on Google search & Google Maps.  Sometimes they will mention barriers, if not Google Maps/Google Earth street view usually helps, including showing whether any spaces will allow us to overhang as we are too long for a single space.  Otherwise, some will accept paying for two spaces; if in doubt ring the council parking department. (Assuming its during opening hours!)

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:23 pm

Thanks all for your replies so far. Basically, it sounds like some degree of forward planning is required in most cases. Which is a bit of a pain, but so be it.

What about on-street parking? Is this permissible, assuming there no indications to the contrary and no obstruction is caused? (While some larger motorhomes could cause an obstruction, our van's footprint fits within a standard parking space.)
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:44 pm

Your van is maybe narrow enough for on-street parking, I know when I had a van similar to yours I often used to park on the street when visiting a town. 
The worry is so much heavy traffic is on the roads these days, and unless the road is particularly wide it does have it's risks.
I see in your avatar your van has two wheels on the pavement, it might seem a good option, but lots of towns will ticket that.
Al
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:53 pm

Paulmold wrote:Supermarkets are usually a good bet along with retail parks. Normally on edge of town so not too far to walk and often 3 hours free.

Be warned, not all are that long, I nearly got caught out when parking in Wickes near me, it was 1.5 hrs and I parked right under the signage, only when I saw the cameras did the penny drop.
Senior moment.
-----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:54 pm

bikeralw wrote:I see in your avatar your van has two wheels on the pavement, it might seem a good option, but lots of towns will ticket that.
Al
Yeah, I took the photo when the van was parked temporarily on the street outside our house, just for a few minutes. I'd never leave it parked like that if I was visiting somewhere I didn't know.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Knick-Knack Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:07 pm

I recently discovered https://en.parkopedia.co.uk which gives lots of useful info, including height restrictions and prices.

Otherwise - Tesco, etc.
Knick-Knack
Knick-Knack

Male

Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:29 am

Knick-Knack wrote:I recently discovered https://en.parkopedia.co.uk which gives lots of useful info, including height restrictions and prices.

Otherwise - Tesco, etc.
Thanks for the tip. I've used Parkopedia many times, but wasn't aware it includes some height restriction information.

Thankfully, during our inaugural weekend away we were able to easily find car parks with no height restrictions.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:50 am

Motor home magazine MMM have a leaflet out every year for parking of motor homes in the UK , usually about this time. very useful.

I have found a car park near a beach in Norfolk even if nearly empty and large area no marked bays so plenty of room, a pay kiosk at the entrance wouldn`t let me in no barrier, said I could park in the village which is down a hill and quite a walk to beach, so never bothered, a pity would have been a nice spot. not in a commercialized area either

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:55 am

daisy mae wrote:Motor home magazine MMM have a leaflet out every year for parking of motor homes in the UK , usually about this time. very useful.
That's worth knowing, thanks.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:01 pm

robg wrote:
daisy mae wrote:Motor home magazine MMM have a leaflet out every year for parking of motor homes in the UK , usually about this time. very useful.
That's worth knowing, thanks.
I current issue.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:38 pm

I have found a car park near a beach in Norfolk even if nearly empty and large area no marked bays so plenty of room, a pay kiosk at the entrance wouldn`t let me  in no barrier, said I could park in the village which is down a hill and quite a walk to beach, so never bothered, a pity would have been a nice spot. not in a commercialized area either
Brancaster?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

daytime parking ? Empty Get there EARLY

Post by Maureen57 Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:18 pm

Yes forward planning required.  Once you have done your research to which is the best car park to use (council websites, Google earth etc). Then arrive early between 8am - 08.30am in the morning before the morning rush. Get parked up... THEN have your breakfast. I always find 
the car park gets full by 09.30am. I'm usually sitting having breakfast and watching everybody roll in looking for a place to park. It works for me !!  Definately worth an early start.  I find Google Earth fantastic to look at the car park from an aeriel view to find the best position to park. Today got to Chichester at 08.30am and parked easily - half an hour later - car park full.
Maureen57
Maureen57

Female

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Autosleeper NUEVO ES
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:48 pm

Knick-Knack wrote:I recently discovered https://en.parkopedia.co.uk which gives lots of useful info, including height restrictions and prices.

Otherwise - Tesco, etc.
Peterborough Tesco has height restriction  brought in some weeks ago.

Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Traficlady Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:12 am

Council web sites normally have details of car parks including height barriers and prices etc.

Nora

Female

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:00 am

PLOUGHLIN wrote:

I have found a car park near a beach in Norfolk even if nearly empty and large area no marked bays so plenty of room, a pay kiosk at the entrance wouldn`t let me  in no barrier, said I could park in the village which is down a hill and quite a walk to beach, so never bothered, a pity would have been a nice spot. not in a commercialized area either
Brancaster?

No Winterton - On - Sea a lovely spot to see the seals, in the sand dunes with their young , provided you keep dogs away from them.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down