The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2009 Nuevo - Instrument Cluster Problem

4 posters

Go down

2009 Nuevo - Instrument Cluster Problem Empty 2009 Nuevo - Instrument Cluster Problem

Post by DartmoorPete Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:51 am

About a year ago I had an instrument cluster problem in that speedo and fuel and temp gauges were not working. Apparently this is a fairly common problem with Boxer based vehicles and I sent the unit to Cartronix (well recommended for repairing these) who fixed it.

Since then and due to current problems I SORNed the Nuevo keeping it under cover at home. During this time I've "exercised" it a few times (driving it around my paddocks for a few minutes) as seems to be recommended to keep things "ticking over".

Yesterday I took it out in readiness for MOT/Service next week and was dismayed that, once again, speedo/temp/fuel gauges not working as well as the rev counter this time. All other lights etc on the cluster seem to be fine.

Luckily the Cartronix repair comes with a lifetime guarantee so I've just sent the unit back to them. When I was talking to Cartronix yesterday, the guy there said that the problem is almost certainly the "motors" that run these gauges have seized due to inactivity and that I really need to take the Nuevo out for a run at least once a week through the winter to keep the motors ticking over!! Quite frankly this would be a very impractical/unwelcome chore - I find it difficult to believe that I should need to do this so often.

Just wondered if anyone has any thoughts on this or has had a similar experience?

Thanks!
DartmoorPete
DartmoorPete

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo Classic
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

2009 Nuevo - Instrument Cluster Problem Empty Re: 2009 Nuevo - Instrument Cluster Problem

Post by kaspian Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:09 pm

Hi Pete as the owner of 5 Boxer variants from 2008 build year ( X250 ) all of which sat for long periods without turning a wheel or being started  I have  never experienced any such issues. All sat over winter without any forms of heating etc    I have however had the faint warning light issue associated with the cruise control being in use which was well documented and was replaced under warranty by Peugeot on our previous A/s Kemerton at 2 years old with no further issues.
         I cannot see all the motors seizing unless you have very damp conditions within the instrument cluster , more likely to be a voltage regulator failure that has affected the supply to the instruments.
kaspian

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : WARWICK XL
Vehicle Year : 2017

MelB likes this post

Back to top Go down

2009 Nuevo - Instrument Cluster Problem Empty 2009 Nuevo - Instrument Cluster Problem

Post by DartmoorPete Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:38 pm

kaspian wrote:Hi Pete as the owner of 5 Boxer variants from 2008 build year ( X250 ) all of which sat for long periods without turning a wheel or being started  I have  never experienced any such issues. All sat over winter without any forms of heating etc    I have however had the faint warning light issue associated with the cruise control being in use which was well documented and was replaced under warranty by Peugeot on our previous A/s Kemerton at 2 years old with no further issues.
         I cannot see all the motors seizing unless you have very damp conditions within the instrument cluster , more likely to be a voltage regulator failure that has affected the supply to the instruments.
Hi Kaspian - thanks for that! Would you be able to advise me how to check for a voltage regulator failure please? I do have a multimeter but I'm not very proficient with it to be honest! Many thanks!
DartmoorPete
DartmoorPete

Male

Back to top Go down

2009 Nuevo - Instrument Cluster Problem Empty Re: 2009 Nuevo - Instrument Cluster Problem

Post by kaspian Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:34 pm

I'm guessing on that particular unit  but I believe the regulator is most often mounted on the actual circuit board of the instrument cluster and probably soldered to the circuit board . Be very wary about touching the cluster as to break any seals/ marks  applied by Cartronix will result in them refusing a warranty claim. The opening of the cluster can also require the gauge pointers to be removed etc and its not a job for the faint hearted as its easy to break things unwittingly . Doing  further damage will result in a new cluster being required and possibly a fair bit of coding to get it to work. They are not cheap !   Its bread and butter work to them and if they are willing to do it under warranty I would say yes please! They seem to get a good name and the trade guys I know  also use Actronics for this type of work.
kaspian

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DartmoorPete Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:34 pm

kaspian wrote:I'm guessing on that particular unit  but I believe the regulator is most often mounted on the actual circuit board of the instrument cluster and probably soldered to the circuit board . Be very wary about touching the cluster as to break any seals/ marks  applied by Cartronix will result in them refusing a warranty claim. The opening of the cluster can also require the gauge pointers to be removed etc and its not a job for the faint hearted as its easy to break things unwittingly . Doing  further damage will result in a new cluster being required and possibly a fair bit of coding to get it to work. They are not cheap !   Its bread and butter work to them and if they are willing to do it under warranty I would say yes please! They seem to get a good name and the trade guys I know  also use Actronics for this type of work.
Kaspian - I'm showing my ignorance here but I thought you were talking about the main (alternator) voltage regulator!! I didn't realise there is probably one in the cluster and I certainly didn't fiddle with the cluster or Cartronix seals. Hopefully they will sort out the regulator if it's that.

After sending the unit to Cartronix this morning I since stumbled upon a YouTube video where someone had an identical problem to mine (dead speedo/rev counter/fuel/temp gauges) with a Peugeot car cluster - he sorted the problem by merely disconnecting and reconnecting the battery after a few minutes. Wish I'd given that a try before sending the unit off!

I've been trying to think if I've done anything at all to cause the problem - all I can think of is that for extended periods over the winter I use a good quality trickle charger (CTEK 0.8amp - connected to the terminals under the bonnet rather than the battery itself)) to keep the vehicle battery topped up. Wouldn't have thought that should cause an issue with the cluster would it?

Thanks for your help which is much appreciated!
DartmoorPete
DartmoorPete

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:51 pm

I'm trying to solve a similar issue with an Octavia at the moment . Its an intermittent fault with the immobiliser and occasional guages not working  . Tried all the disconnect battery nonsense etc. With my panel its bad dry solder joints on the internal  printed circuit board. Very frustrating and time consuming to fault. A well known issue and common now across so many makes as the dashboard cluster does so many things in modern vehicles that can stop your vehicle in its tracks if a fault occurs.  I feel your pain  ! How did you find the Cartronix experience?
kaspian

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:10 am

Cartronix are good.  I had the faint warning lights problem under warranty with my van and the cluster was replaced. It recurred a year later out of warranty. Peugeot told me that the cost would.be £900 to fix it and they would reduce that to £600 as a goodwill gesture, with a six month warranty on the repair. Cartronix repaired it for £125 plus postage both ways which was about £25, making £150 in total with a lifetime warranty. It failed again after another year and Cartronix repaired it again but it did cost me about £25 again in postage costs there and back.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Ploughman Thu May 06, 2021 10:54 am

Cartronix failed to fix my dashboard fault in spite of going to them three times.  The local Peugeot dealer eventually found it was simply a loose connection and fixed it quickly and cheaply.
Ploughman
Ploughman

Male

Member Age : 85
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down