The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

USB Sockets

5 posters

Go down

USB Sockets Empty USB Sockets

Post by gpilky Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:15 pm

Hi all,

I am thinking about replacing the two LED lights above the cab chairs (as we don't use/need them) with USB charging sockets. The idea is that we can plug in our devices when on hook-up and put them on the shelf above the cab doors. Just asking in case there is any experience / warnings I can learn from.

Has anyone done this?

What sockets did you use?

Did you have any unexpected issues that you needed to overcome?

Thanks in advance for your wisdom smile!
gpilky
gpilky

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

USB Sockets Empty Re: USB Sockets

Post by IanH Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:35 pm

What about a normal car 12v socket like lighter?
Plug double usb adaptor into that, or use 12v as is, then you have 2?
Protect wiring with a fuse limiting what you put through the 12v socket
Just a thought......

Sorry re underline!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:30 pm

If the intent is to use the USBs when on an EHU, why not use a cheap multi USB mains plug?  I don't know much about USBs but I would have thought that replacing two low amperage LEDs with two higher amperage USBs could spell trouble and end up with a blown lighting circuit fuse.  Others will know more about this.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:04 pm

Caraman wrote:If the intent is to use the USBs when on an EHU, why not use a cheap multi USB mains plug?  I don't know much about USBs but I would have thought that replacing two low amperage LEDs with two higher amperage USBs could spell trouble and end up with a blown lighting circuit fuse.  Others will know more about this.
Exactly what I do. I fitted a double 13A socket with usb to the underside of the microwave shelf in my  Nuevo.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by RML Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:13 am

gpilky wrote:Hi all,

I am thinking about replacing the two LED lights above the cab chairs (as we don't use/need them) with USB charging sockets. The idea is that we can plug in our devices when on hook-up and put them on the shelf above the cab doors. Just asking in case there is any experience / warnings I can learn from.

Has anyone done this?

Good idea. I did the same with fittings similar to these ....
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
However I don't have an AS and these are overbed lights so I can charge anything during the night or power tablets to watch TV.   We now have 4 USB points around the van. 
Rich..
RML
RML

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Ex - Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:16 am

Had forgotten, here's how I did it..

Switch and sockets all in one panel, ebay, so switchable, voltmeter, 2 x USB, 1 x 10A 12v car type socket. £20 or so.
Connected with an inline 10A fuse, direct to LB so all works in transit or not.
Handy map pocket back of seat for tabs, phones etc

IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

RML, jwells, JohnM2 and Boots like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by gpilky Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:59 pm

IanH wrote:What about a normal car 12v socket like lighter?
Plug double usb adaptor into that, or use 12v as is, then you have 2?
Protect wiring with a fuse limiting what you put through the 12v socket
Just a thought......

Sorry re underline!

Hi Ian, thanks for this any your later post. I do have 2 USB 'cigarette lighter' plugs with 4 USB in total and a voltage readout. I use these when travelling, however, the power to the sockets goes off when I turn off the ignition.

I like the solution you have being the drivers (?) seat though. Plan B for me is to do something similar if all else fails.....

G
gpilky
gpilky

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gpilky Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:03 pm

RML wrote:

Has anyone done this?

However I don't have an AS and these are overbed lights so I can charge anything during the night or power tablets to watch TV.   We now have 4 USB points around the van. 
Rich..

Thanks Rich - I have seen these and they are one option I'm considering. The other option is a USB socket as I don't really need the lights.

I'd be interested to hear how you got on with these, especially the current from the USB (they never seem to say this on Amazon).

Cheers

G

Gary
gpilky
gpilky

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gpilky Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:07 pm

Caraman wrote:If the intent is to use the USBs when on an EHU, why not use a cheap multi USB mains plug?  I don't know much about USBs but I would have thought that replacing two low amperage LEDs with two higher amperage USBs could spell trouble and end up with a blown lighting circuit fuse.  Others will know more about this.

Hi Caraman, I've looked at various options wrt the mains plug but the location of the plugs is not ideal - either near the floor, or the sink, to taking space in the kitchen area. So I thought I'd try and add a new one! 

The sockets I'm looking at are 2-3 amps and the fuse on the lighting circuit is 10 amps. As all the lighting is LED I expect there will be enough current for this. Of course I'll check beforehand just in case.....

G
gpilky
gpilky

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:09 pm

Do you not have the microwave in a unit above the fridge on your Broadway? I looked under the shelf and on the left side there was a round plastic plug in a hole in the shelf on which the microwave sits. I screwed my double mains socket on a slim pattress under that. I was able to run a mains cable up through the hole and make a mains connection behind the microwave. The double 13A has 4 USB sockets rated at 4.2A total

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by RML Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:39 am

gpilky wrote:
RML wrote:

Has anyone done this?

Rich..

Thanks Rich - I have seen these and they are one option I'm considering. The other option is a USB socket as I don't really need the lights.

I'd be interested to hear how you got on with these, especially the current from the USB (they never seem to say this on Amazon).

Cheers

G

Gary
Hi Gary. I had lights similar to this already there, without usb, but one failed so I replaced them both. Can't tell you the current draw as no information was supplied except a compliance certificate. I believe the current is very low as my tablet takes hours to charge but I'm ok with that, it's convenience that matters to me more than speed.  
Rich..
RML
RML

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Ex - Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2008

gpilky likes this post

Back to top Go down