The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CONTINENTAL REAR CP TYRE PRESSURES

+13
jadatis
anders4
ColinCamper
rgermain
PLOUGHLIN
Jaytee
Paulmold
glyne lock
Molly3
Cymro
IanH
bikeralw
Caraman
17 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

CONTINENTAL REAR CP TYRE PRESSURES - Page 3 Empty Re: CONTINENTAL REAR CP TYRE PRESSURES

Post by Paulmold Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:49 pm

The link to Continental Databook is in the opening post of this thread so no need to upload , anyone who's interested can download the Databook themselves.
If you want to know how to upload photos, then go to home page, scroll down to Factsheets and you'll find 'how to post photos' in that section.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

CONTINENTAL REAR CP TYRE PRESSURES - Page 3 Empty Re: CONTINENTAL REAR CP TYRE PRESSURES

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:06 pm

MarkD wrote:You need to reformat the Conti Handbook to get loads and tyres on same page.
This is interesting as CP tyres on rear axle need higher pressures for a given load than front and 10 PR need more pressure than 8 PR before ultimately having greater capacity.
I did this by 'printing' from page 2 as pdf and then saving to my device.
Unfortunately I can't see how to upload a document here - if someone shows or points how I will.
Not sure I follow that statement. My reading is that for same pressure, 10ply tyres have greater load capacity than 8 ply?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:46 pm

Just been doing a look around t’internet for tyres as mine are needing change due age and the Continental CP tyres are ‘summer’ tyres only whereas the four season C tyre is as it says four season, mud, snow and mountain logo. So, if that’s the case I’m sticking with the four season C tyres I’ve had on for seven years and have served me well. Also on the site I looked on it shows both C and CP as 8 ply but that may be incorrect.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:00 pm

Jaytee wrote:Just been doing a look around t’internet for tyres as mine are needing change due age and the Continental CP tyres are ‘summer’ tyres only whereas the four season C tyre is as it says four season, mud, snow and mountain logo. So, if that’s the case I’m sticking with the four season C tyres I’ve had on for seven years and have served me well. Also on the site I looked on it shows both C and CP as 8 ply but that may be incorrect.

And the price difference between premier make C tyres and CP tyres is minimal now.

Donator
Donator

Male

Jaytee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:24 pm

Jaytee wrote:Just been doing a look around t’internet for tyres as mine are needing change due age and the Continental CP tyres are ‘summer’ tyres only whereas the four season C tyre is as it says four season, mud, snow and mountain logo. So, if that’s the case I’m sticking with the four season C tyres I’ve had on for seven years and have served me well. Also on the site I looked on it shows both C and CP as 8 ply but that may be incorrect.

Continental 4 seasons come in 8 and 10 ply depending on the load rating. I expect your Winchcombe's original tyres have a load rating of 121/119 (121 is single tyre axle, 119 for twin wheel axle), so would be 10 ply.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MarkD Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:32 pm

I only looked at 225-75-19 CP and for that my statements were correct.
However as you say for the one you highlight it's not the case.
So we need to read the tables carefully when selecting and inflating tyres.

FWIW Conti CP arr shown as 3 peaks M&S - however if traction is highest priority then into might consider 4 season if I could get the load rating.

We pays our money and make our choices on our own priorities.
As OP says this handbook helps with pressures whatever we choose.
MarkD
MarkD

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Talisman
Vehicle Year : 1994

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:14 pm

PLOUGHLIN wrote:

Continental 4 seasons come in 8 and 10 ply depending on the load rating. I expect your Winchcombe's original tyres have a load rating of 121/119 (121 is single tyre axle, 119 for twin wheel axle), so would be 10 ply.
Thanks Peter

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:15 am

I've just tried to find the price of Conti camper tyres on t'internet and failed. Black Circles don't have them. Any ideas? so I can save up for a bulk purchase next year - if we are allowed out properly that is.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 1 Bourton 1 Polensa
Vehicle Year : various

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:24 am

gassygassy wrote:I've just tried to find the price of Conti camper tyres on t'internet and failed. Black Circles don't have them. Any ideas? so I can save up for a bulk purchase next year - if we are allowed out properly that is.
Etyres , I've been doing same for purchase early next year.

Donator
Donator

Male

gassygassy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:30 am

gassygassy wrote:I've just tried to find the price of Conti camper tyres on t'internet and failed. Black Circles don't have them. Any ideas? so I can save up for a bulk purchase next year - if we are allowed out properly that is.

What size/load rating? Here is a selection from Blackcircle wil give some idea of cost.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

gassygassy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MarkD Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:35 am

I've been looking for Michelin CP and there just don't seem to be any.
I'm not desperate just now so if I see some I'll buy a pair to have available.
MarkD
MarkD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:44 am

MarkD wrote:I've been looking for Michelin CP and there just don't seem to be any.
I'm not desperate just now so if I see some I'll buy a pair to have available.
Again Etyres. Maybe it's your size that's not available. Mine certainly are (225/70x15)

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MarkD Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:19 pm

I had tried them and for my 215-75-16 they had neither Conti or Mich.
They do have the 225-75-16 which I needed on the rear for load capacity but I don't want increased gearing on the front.

May end up with standard 4 seasons yet!
MarkD
MarkD

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:14 pm

Whilst doing a search for Continental's Databook I came across this thread from 2020 which I originated.  The ETRTO has recently confirmed to me that they no longer recommend inflating rear CP tyres to their maximum permitted pressure (typically 5.5 bar) regardless of axle mass.  In their Standards Manual, which I understand is copied into Continental's Databook, they only recommend using the maximum permitted pressure when the tyre is at its maximum permitted load defined by its load index.  When the load on the tyre is less a lower pressure is recommended as per their Standards Manual.  The pressures they recommend in their Standards Manual are higher for rear CP tyres than front CP tyres.  For all of this Michelin and TyreSafe continue to quote and recommend that rear CP tyres should always be inflated to their maximum permitted pressure which makes no sense when they don't make the same recommendation for rear C tyres fitted to motorhomes.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3