The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Teleco roof aerial

3 posters

Go down

Teleco roof aerial Empty Teleco roof aerial

Post by Colin57 Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:02 pm

The water seal at the base of the Teleco roof aerial where it enters the roof  has perished. The. Seals are not sold separately and the only way to get one is buy a new aerial. Has anybody found a suitable way of sealing up round the base of the aerial.
Colin57
Colin57

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Teleco roof aerial Empty Re: Teleco roof aerial

Post by Roopert Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:20 pm

If it's a simple ring seal, there are sellers on Ebay that will make up a rubber gasket in any size and pretty much any material you like, and in the overall scheme of things they are not expensive. I had to have a special (nitrile) rubber sealing ring made up for the brake reservoirs on my old car and they were precise and Ok in terms of price.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Colin57 Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:55 pm

Thanks but this seal is on the roof and fastens around the aerial base to stop water ingress
Colin57
Colin57

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:10 pm

If unobtainable then I guess you'll have to use a sealant. If you think you'll need to get it off again, I would suggest not any of the Sikaflex PU sealants, but it's a difficult compromise. Silicone sealants are easier to cut through and remove but they aren't as durable. On balance I'd probably go with an outdoor rated silicone sealant, though Sika 221 would be tempting... We recently had to cut off a solar panel from the roof of the Trooper which had been sealed round with Sika 221 and TBH it wasn't as bad as I'd expected.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Colin57 Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:14 pm

Thanks, Looks I’ll have to do something like that unless somebody has a better suggestion
Colin57
Colin57

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by paul bullock Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:28 pm

Hi ,have you seen a product called "SUGRU" not tried it for a sealant but it is pretty good stuff, mouldable ,then sets off like rubber , probably put silicon oil on the aerial shaft and mould it around the base ,so that it can still move freely up and down/around ,  Regards    Paul    wave
paul bullock
paul bullock
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ek 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:20 pm

paul bullock wrote:so that it can still move freely up and down/around ,  Regards    Paul    wave

Sorry, I should have avoided commenting, having not realised that the shaft of the aerial needs to slide in the seal! That will make it a bit more complex. I would try and avoid silicone oil as a release agent as it will probably get everywhere! It may be better to slide the aerial up, attach a strip of plastic sheet around it, slide it back down and mould around that. In theory the plastic should be removable (especially if you can pull the shaft completely out) to form a good seal against the SUGRU or silicone/Sika sealant. A difficult one to solve, I must admit!
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Back to top Go down