The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

autosleeper nuevo

+5
Gromit
kaspian
burlingtonboaby
raymondo
ginner38
9 posters

Go down

autosleeper nuevo Empty autosleeper nuevo

Post by ginner38 Thu May 07, 2020 12:50 pm

Hi i am thinking of buying a nuevo 2008 is there anything i should be looking out for any known problems with them

many thanks Dave

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : executive 2000

Back to top Go down

autosleeper nuevo Empty Re: autosleeper nuevo

Post by raymondo Thu May 07, 2020 1:22 pm

I have a 2008 Nuevo and so far all of the issues have been with the base vehicle (Peugeot) the habitation side is holding up very well despite 8 years (by me) of heavy use - often 100+ nights per year.....the control panel was replaced before I got it and I think that that is about it!

peugeot woes include (but not limited to)
2 blown radiator hoses
electric windows that inexplicably didnt work for 3 years (then worked for 2 and now dont work again)
large section of wiring loom rotted inside pvc insulation had to be cut out and new wire spliced in
failed sensor in antilock brakes
EGR valve failed
fuel pressure regulator valve failed

but unless you have loads of money and can get a merc based vehicle you are stuck with peugeot/fiat/citroen (all the same thing really)
raymondo
raymondo

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo ek

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Thu May 07, 2020 1:23 pm

I had a wee 09 EK ES van, a nice compact van, the only thing I would check out above the obvious habitation checks is for leaks around the joints, windows and plug/socket points.
Our van had a leak around the rear corner starting at the rubber seal that runs along above the windows and down the front and rear.
All dried out and re- paired at Willersey .
Only sold it because I got fed up turning the front seats to make up the single beds.
Boaby
P.S to add ,same as Raymondo, replaced EGR valve .
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Thu May 07, 2020 1:41 pm

raymondo wrote:

but unless you have loads of money and can get a merc based vehicle you are stuck with peugeot/fiat/citroen (all the same thing really)

Careful what you wish for Raymondo, we ran a large  fleet of vans at work.  We then introduced a few Mercedes vans and of course everyone wanted one but 4 years down the line they sat most of the time in the garage in bits . Regular breakdowns , egr valves, sensors of various types , electrical issues and all very expensive! My colleague  did over 400000 miles in his previous 4 Transits without ever being left at the roadside but had 6 breakdowns in 8 months in his Merc. Got to the stage no one wanted to drive them. I spoke to one of the large brown delivery Merc van drivers recently as the elwb looked ideal for a home conversion and he said the same. He and his colleagues did not rate them for real use.
kaspian

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : WARWICK XL
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Thu May 07, 2020 2:37 pm

But they are German, so they must be brilliant!!  rolleyes Whistle1 shrugg
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by oldfred Thu May 07, 2020 2:51 pm

I'm sure you will find lots of posts about this van. 2008 was a 'transition' year where the new Peugeot van was fitted with different bodies. Most of these will be Nuevo II but will often still be badged Nuevo. They will have 'swing showers' and no toilet window. Some 2008 Nuevos will be called 'classic' and will have the original Nuevo bodies.

My own van was registered in 2009 but all the docs with it show was converted in 2007.
oldfred
oldfred

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Thu May 07, 2020 4:14 pm

Gromit wrote:But they are German, so they must be brilliant!!  rolleyes Whistle1 shrugg
Probably made in Britain   by British Leyland under license Gromit! I think most manufacturers now farm out each model to different global factories. Merc used Hungary Mexico and S Africa to name but 3 . Nissan in the UK etc Even good old Dacia building in India and apparently forgetting any sort of rustproofing!  Mercedes USED be very well made but like BMW and others don't seem nearly as well built today with poor reliability ratings. Even the Japanese are slipping ......   Makes my TVR seem like a Patek Philippe watch   hugegrins
kaspian

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Thu May 07, 2020 6:56 pm

kaspian wrote:
Gromit wrote:But they are German, so they must be brilliant!!  rolleyes Whistle1 shrugg
Probably made in Britain   by British Leyland under license Gromit! I think most manufacturers now farm out each model to different global factories. Merc used Hungary Mexico and S Africa to name but 3 . Nissan in the UK etc Even good old Dacia building in India and apparently forgetting any sort of rustproofing!  Mercedes USED be very well made but like BMW and others don't seem nearly as well built today with poor reliability ratings. Even the Japanese are slipping ......   Makes my TVR seem like a Patek Philippe watch   hugegrins
Yes, about 12 months ago an acqaintance (not a friend - he's a total posing snob rolleyes ) bought a top of the range (it would have to be!!) VW Polo.

He was offered one from stock, but refused it because it was made in Spain!!

Another was ordered, but he had to wait over two months for it to be shipped to the UK. When he got snotty and demanded to know why it took so long to cross the Channel from Germany, he was told it was coming from South Africa - where it had been made.

Much waving of arms and throwing of strops later, the salesman said to him, "You wouldn't accept the one from Spain Sir, so the only other alternative is this one from South Africa. They are made nowhere else. But if you would like to wait a little longer we'll be able to get you one from Brazil."

I thought it was hilarious, but he is definitely not amused when anyone asks if he likes the new car!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

autosleeper nuevo Empty Watch Out.

Post by mcalid Thu May 07, 2020 11:15 pm

I also have a Nuevo 2008 and am more than happy with it. 
I have written on here about my experience with the spare wheel cradle so I will not bore everyone with it again but check that the winding mechanism is free and working as it should and never let anyone use any type of power tool to lower or raise it, it is expensive to replace.
mcalid
mcalid
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Fri May 08, 2020 6:11 am

When Peugeot replaced our EGR valve in the 09 Nuevo, the original was made in Bulgaria , the casting was as rough as hell, took the top of the valve and the electrics had melted ?    scratch head
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Tue May 12, 2020 3:14 pm

I had a BMW motorbike with steering head bearings and wheel bearings that were made in Bulgaria. I had to change all these bearings at 8000 miles so I went to the BMW shop and asked for new ones. these also were made in Bulgaria so I told the spares chap what he could do with them and fitted SKF ones. The BMW motorbike forums had posts from people with BMW company cars so they thought they would have a motorbike toy as well, and they were asking if it was normal on motorbike dealer services to be charged £420 every 4000 miles for new bearings.
Guess which make of motorbike I have never owned since.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 1 Bourton 1 Polensa
Vehicle Year : various

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam & Emily Tue May 19, 2020 9:06 pm

Just coming up to Two years ago I bought a 2007 Nuevo ES. So the new shape with the Peugeot 2.2. We have used it’s loads (until recently🙄) Its done 23,000 miles and no vehicle issues so far. We get 30mpg so not too bad and it doesn’t feel underpowered. The AS conversion seems well thought through and well bolted together. I just look for body condition and service history, and if it smells damp walk away (although these are not known for damp problems. The stereo is poor because you have to turn it back on every 20 minutes when parked up for camping and no aux or Bluetooth so I upgraded mine at Halfords with no issue. Also told the control panel for the hab area can fail be we have not had that issue. I’d thoroughly recommend it, and if I thought it was a lemon having bought one I would say so. Nice if you can get one with cab air on like ours, as that is a big windscreen to heat your armpits on a sunny day👍🏻
Adam & Emily
Adam & Emily

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Autosleeper Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Wed May 20, 2020 10:10 am

I'm still struggling to find somewhere to put dirty laundry and two foldey-uppy chairs. We have been putting them in the shower but I would rather not. I think of getting a Broadway EB, but then I think well it would cost £10,000 just to change for the same year's Broadway and for £10k I will put up with having the shower area full of laundry and chairs. Pity the dealer I got the Nuevo from didn't have a Broadway, likewise why didn't I think of going somewhere else to look for one. I could fit a cycle rack to the Nuevo of course, and carry the laundry and bikes and chairs on that . . . . . . that would be the cheapest way round it.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Wed May 20, 2020 10:33 am

Bike rack and a Fiamma ultra box. Holds everything from chairs to washing to blow up kayaks ! If you are otherwise happy with the van as you say why help the dealer to his next supercar acquisition! By the time you lose a £5K Minimum on your van and pay his £5 K mark up on replacement van it makes a bike rack and box seem a no brainer.
kaspian

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Wed May 20, 2020 12:09 pm

I think that is indeed the thing to do kaspian. I sometimes wonder about getting a different camper with high build quality, a Ford base with its automatic, but they are all Forrin, and there isn't a German one so far as I know which has a Ford automatic with the loose folding table in a two-facing settee layout for the lounge. That I think would be the only reason I would change. Specially as I have done at least 6 modifications to the Nuevo that I would want to do in another vehicle. Some makes come close but fail on things like I have had an electric lowering bed - never again - fixed dining tables, made in Italy or Spain - sorry but I don't trust them, and I have had French ones which make the Autosleeper look like Rolls Royce build quality.
Actually all I want to do is get in the Nuevo and go on holiday and stop moaning about the chairs being in the shower! hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Wed May 20, 2020 12:21 pm

The Fiamma 500 back box holds lots of kit, chairs, waste master , wind breakers etc, we had one on our 09 Nuevo and later on out 08 Sigma , we have a Thule easy base and back box on the tow ball on the Warwick.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Wed May 20, 2020 1:25 pm

I have a bike rack, in the shed! It's a tow bar mount bike rack. The rear overhang on the Nuevo looks far to long to fit a tow bar, and too expensive unless I learn how to weld. And then it would / might fail the MOT for not having a special badge on it. Car tow bars have to pass a EN standard something or other which requires it to have gone through 3000 (I think) full load stress tests, and some tow bar companies have tried to convince me that their motorhome bars pass this test. I cannot believe that any motorhome tow bar has ever been submitted for this test. I know from experience that these testing houses charge about £2500 per day for testing and 3000 push/pull tests would take several days.
I'll look for a used bike rack and box. . .
gassygassy
gassygassy
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down