The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Step retraction warning alarm

5 posters

Go down

Step retraction warning alarm Empty Step retraction warning alarm

Post by pstallwood Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:34 pm

We have a 2017 Bourton.

A few weeks ago I had difficulty in getting the step to retract but eventually after keep pressing the switch by the door it did retract. To stop people opening the step I put sellotape over the switch.

Today I was sorting out the van to take it in for a habitation service on Friday and I started the engine. After a few seconds a warning alarm went off and I can only conclude that the step is not fully retracted - pressing the switch does nothing. 

Has anybody got any ideas as to how I can stop the alarm as I don't really fancy driving for 45 minutes with that row going on. I cannot see any switch underneath - is there one and if so where would I find it?

The dealer is aware that there is something wrong and will sort it out at the service.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Step retraction warning alarm Empty Re: Step retraction warning alarm

Post by Eltel Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:55 pm

I suggest a call to Autosleepers quoting your model & chassis number on Monday.

I take it you have checked the Autosleepers handbook for a wiring diagram and a possible location of the fuse.

Terry
Eltel
Eltel
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK

Back to top Go down

Post by pstallwood Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:58 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I will go and look in the handbook but obviously that is a difficult thing to do!

I have emailed the dealer and they may come up with something.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:10 pm

Do you have the EM40 unit behind the seat or in the EC500 unit. The step fuse is in that, I think.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:16 pm

I had that problem several years ago, luckily the day before driving to Willersey. The step simply refused to retract though it would extend. I was able to retract the step manually and simply by very slightly lifting the outer edge of the step and at the same time pushing it inwards - no force was needed. It was corrected as part of the service. The problem, I understand, was the limit switch (a small button that can be seen just behind the step). They freed it off and added some waterproof grease and no problems since.
Hope that helps.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by pstallwood Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:35 pm

Dealer has phoned. System shut down seems to have done the trick - I hadn't even noticed the black button before. The fuse is fine - pulling it made no difference.

Dealer will fix on Friday I hope.

I must say I have found Choose Leisure at Canterbury very good. It was most unexpected to get a call so quickly from them especially as the service dept officially closes at 1pm on Saturday if I recall correctly.

Thanks for the help.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Baggiecamper Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:55 am

pstallwood wrote:We have a 2017 Bourton.

A few weeks ago I had difficulty in getting the step to retract ..........
I had this problem last summer on Symbol van step.
It turned out to be a piece if hard gravel that was just the wrong size and shape had found itself between the step and its housing.
With a bit of brute force and ignorance I managed to get step in for journey home.
Rightly decided to not use step till I could investigate.
Had to remove the front cover which was difficult because one screw was almost inaccessible.
Moral - always check the step is clear before retracting.
Its on my to-do list to fit a brush (door draught strip type) to prevent re-occurrence.

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by pstallwood Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:29 am

Update on the step problem.

We took the van in last Friday for the habitation service and for them to look at the step. We told the dealer we could be back that same day if we knew that the van was ready by 3.30 pm or could come down on Saturday or Monday - didn't make much difference to us at the time. They said they would let us know the position by then.

About 3.30 pm the phone went. They had found the problem but unfortunately could not complete the service until Saturday. and could we wait until Monday - didn't matter to us.

On Monday, after seeing the antics of people not listening to and doing what they had been told to do over the weekend, I was concerned that movement restrictions were coming in. Obviously I didn't want the van marooned at the dealers. I rang just after 9 am and was told that the service dept were in a meeting but they would ring back - meeting might be an hour - I knew what the meeting was about! An hour latter we were telephoned - yes the van was ready could we come and get it NOW. Yes we would be there in an hour.

One hour later we were at the dealers. The service manager we were dealing with came out and explained the results of the service and told us that the problem with the step was with the switch by the entrance door and this had been replaced. We were told that the service dept was closing for services that day and it looks like we got the van back just in time as later that afternoon the restrictions came into force..

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down