The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2019 Nuevo Whale Pressure Switch

+3
shortstock
gef
marconi
7 posters

Go down

2019 Nuevo Whale Pressure Switch Empty 2019 Nuevo Whale Pressure Switch

Post by marconi Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:27 pm

They have hidden it.

It is in the offside underbed box section which holds the PSU and Fuse panel, the dealer accessed it by removing the DC Fuses panel (4 screws) and complained about the difficulty of getting to it, not being able to see it and scatched arms from the side of the cutout, ignoring my suggestion of removing the ventilator/cooling grille on the side of the box.
The best and easiest way is by removing the said brown grille (4 screws), the the control is fully visible and lots of room to allow adjustment.

Why oh why is the pressure switch so voltage dependent, with fully charged battery and solar charge it is precise on and off, with the mains charger on it hunts, pulsing while it runs on for a few seconds, its impossible to find a compromise adjustment point. The Whale instruction video method does not work.

There is no need to use a power driver to remove or replace the screws, do engineers today not know what a handheld screw driver is, quaking in fear that they may get repetitive strain injury.
The replacing of the self tapping screws that hold the fuse unit twisted up the corners of the aluminium face plate because it was not held down whilst the guy poked the screws at the fixing holes with a power driver, each was inserted and fully tightened one at at a time rather than locating all screws and then gradually tightening, preferably diagonally (dealer). The grille srews were done up so tight that a couple of them had their heads burried in the soft plastic, one had almost destroyed the fixing point (Auto Sleeper production). The lightweight plywood cannot stand much of that sort of treatment.

This is our first British built van.

Last edited by marconi on Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:34 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : speeling mistooks)
marconi
marconi

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

2019 Nuevo Whale Pressure Switch Empty Re: 2019 Nuevo Whale Pressure Switch

Post by gef Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:19 pm

Carefully mark the pressure gauge so you can see each adjustment you will find the right spot or have two marked spots
Gef
gef

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo

Back to top Go down

Post by shortstock Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:54 pm

mine clicks about 10 times before stopping ....drives me mad
shortstock
shortstock

Male

Auto-Sleeper : broadway fb
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by marconi Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:12 pm

Whale! I have had 16 years of Shurflo pumps, internal pressure switch, always reliable.
marconi
marconi

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:31 am

gef wrote:Carefully mark the pressure gauge so you can see each adjustment you will find the right spot or have two marked spots
Gef
is this because the switch has to be altered depending on whether you are on hook up or not?
ive seen this before on here but surely that would be a right pain?
I think we have a Shurflo and I've never gone anywhere near the pump, hook up or not, don't you just want to turn on the tap?
we move from sites with hook up to those that don't and back again, all in a few days. I guess a few others do this too, does this mean that pump 'cali ration' is part of the set up when arriving on site?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:06 am

We used to have to constantly adjust the pressure switch when we had caravans, so things haven't improved in 20+ years. Thank goodness we have a Shurflo (in our case it's actually a Flojet) type pump.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:18 pm

To get it to work on battery and EHU can be delicate. The range of position is different but there is sufficient latitude to get an acceptable compromise between the two. But that setting does take time and effort to find and the absence of a lock nut is a real nuisance.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:51 pm

I started a recent thread regarding my switch pulsating at night and the very knowledgeable Peter Brown posted this regarding the voltage (hook up/battery)

“When this pressure switch was first introduced, its threshold of operation was very voltage dependant to the extent that it had to be adjusted when you moved from hook up to battery power and vice versa. The unit is much improved since and if you hit the optimum point needs no further adjustment.”

Last edited by Dbvwt on Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edit)
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

2019 Nuevo Whale Pressure Switch Empty 2019 Nuevo Whale Pressure Switch

Post by marconi Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:47 pm

Dbvwt wrote:I started a recent thread regarding my switch pulsating at night and the very knowledgeable Peter Brown posted this regarding the voltage (hook up/battery)

“When this pressure switch was first introduced, its threshold of operation was very voltage dependant to the extent that it had to be adjusted when you moved from hook up to battery power and vice versa. The unit is much improved since and if you hit the optimum point needs no further adjustment.”

Yes indeed.

I cracked it. Adjust the pressure switch at 12.1 to 12.2 Volts. it will take a few seconds for the pump to build up the correct pressure after running water then closing the tap at that Voltage but don't go for instant on/off. Then all other voltages work fine with zero pulsing, which worried me as it could cause mechanical or electrical problems long term.

I got the 12.1 Battery Volts under load by running the TV regularly. If I need to adjust again I have built a test box with four switches and Schottky and Silicon Diodes which can be plugged in series with the pressure switch to give a switchable Voltage drop of 0.47, 0.80, 0.95, 1.27, 1.59, 2.06 or 2.54 Volts at the approximately 2 Amps that the pump takes.
marconi
marconi

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:32 pm

The first thing I will do to my Nuevo I have just bought is to remove the rubbish Whale stuff and put it on ebay. I will fit a Shurflo before I actually take the van anywhere. Chalk and cheese are simlar in that you can write on a blackboard with either of them, but a Whale pump and a Shurflo pump are totally different. One is a dustbin space filler, and the other is a reliable, powerful, repairable water pump.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 1 Bourton 1 Polensa
Vehicle Year : various

Back to top Go down