The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rubbish bin Nuevo EK 2020 model

+4
modelman
Gromit
Cymro
Stevemills92
8 posters

Go down

Rubbish bin Nuevo EK 2020 model Empty Rubbish bin Nuevo EK 2020 model

Post by Stevemills92 Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:34 pm

I’ve just bought a brand new Nuevo ek. I’m a seasoned Motorhome owner but this is my first autosleeper since I had an old Harmony about 15 years ago! I was tempted back to autosleeper following a poor experience with my last new eldiss bought around 6 years ago, on which the build quality was terrible!
I’ve had one trip away and whilst a bit of a struggle with all the SIM cards and gadgets it was all ok and worked well. However the habitation door has an integrated rubbish bin that is little more than an opening. There is no way to fit or retain a bin liner and no easy way to clean it if food etc falls in. It looks to me that it should have an additional plastic insert. Am I missing a piece? (dealer says no!) if not how do others retain there plastic (biodegradable of course) liners?
Any help appreciated!
Stevemills92
Stevemills92

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Rubbish bin Nuevo EK 2020 model Empty Re: Rubbish bin Nuevo EK 2020 model

Post by Cymro Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:42 pm

See: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Cymro wrote:o"]I also load a suitable bin-liner as described by Askit (above) and wind its top edge around the bin's top front frame before clipping the frame back in position. But in addition, to stop the bag from falling through from the door-side edge, I bought two tiny Terry clips; tied a small piece of string to the right corner of the frame nearest the door; and then tied the 2 clips at equal spaces on to the string. The clips are then pushed over the rolled top of the bin liner, over the door-side frame. Works well!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Mind you, I also hate that Hartal door! The hopeless restrainer at the top; the weak springs in the closers; and that b handle on which I bang my head when bending down to the door-side cupboard or to the dustbin!

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Stevemills92 Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:44 pm

Ours is slightly different, yours I think came originally with a plastic hoop that attached to the inside of the hinges, they broke repeatedly and replacements are available on e bay. Ours hasn’t even got the hoop or a place to fit one as the lid is hinged from the side. That said your idea of clips is probably the way to go. It seems strange that despite the obvious problems on older vans, they still can’t get the bin right. Thanks again.
Stevemills92
Stevemills92

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:11 pm

Stevemills92 wrote: It seems strange that despite the obvious problems on older vans, they still can’t get the bin right. Thanks again.
I think it's probably more accurate to say that no third party provider seems able to supply a bin that suits everyone.

It's going a bit far to say that none of them are much use (so I won't!  Whistle1) but I've yet to see one that didn't have at least one major drawback.

It's also very difficult in such a confined and cluttered space to find anywhere to fit one, hence the usual door fixing which is just right for catching with a heel or knocking off with an elbow. It's a problem not confined to A/S by any means.
There's money to be made here if anyone can come up with the perfect waste bin.  up!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Stevemills92 Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:54 pm

With my last van I simply attached one of the numerous after market bins to the door. The bin part was easily lifted off the lid and support and a bin liner was easily and securely fitted. Only real problem applies to all door fitted bins I.e. you couldn’t use the bin with the fly screen in use. The one on my new van would be made much more user friendly with the addition of a slot in plastic bin. This could be easily and cheaply produced, would allow a bin liner to be secured and as it would be easily removed would be easily cleaned. I really believe I could have designed it better, it makes you wonder if the designers ever use the vans. 
However ignoring the “rubbish” bin, everything else seems well considered and planned, mind you I do expect to be adding some shelves to the overhead lockers, but have done this to every van I’ve had to date, so expect this is just a personal preference.
Stevemills92
Stevemills92

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:30 pm

Stevemills92 wrote:I do expect to be adding some shelves to the overhead lockers, but have done this to every van I’ve had to date, so expect this is just a personal preference.
You and me both then.   up!

I made slabs of wood to the correct height and used double sided tape to fix them to the sides of the lockers. No screw holes and the shelves sit on them perfectly.

Added bonus - when the gaffer decides I've got them wrong they are easy to remove and trim down, or make new ones a little higher.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:03 am

Gromit wrote:
Stevemills92 wrote:I do expect to be adding some shelves to the overhead lockers, but have done this to every van I’ve had to date, so expect this is just a personal preference.
You and me both then.   up!

I made slabs of wood to the correct height and used double sided tape to fix them to the sides of the lockers. No screw holes and the shelves sit on them perfectly.

Added bonus - when the gaffer decides I've got them wrong they are easy to remove and trim down, or make new ones a little higher.
Thankyou Mr Gromit!!
That's a great idea, so obvious now you've said it, have a look at doing on mine. up!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Rubbish bin Nuevo EK 2020 model Empty Re: Nuevo 2019 / 2020 rubbish bin

Post by marconi Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:37 am

To secure bin liners I use six, 8mm round magnets, three fixed to the inside of the bin one each side to the rear, one front centre. The other three go on the outside of the liner attracted by the inner ones. It is very successful and female friendly.
Another nuisance is constantly having to lift the top when cooking. Solved with a pair of Velcro pads.
marconi
marconi

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Stevemills92 Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:51 pm

Magnets sound an interesting way to go, first though I’m going to have a go at making a bin shaped c ring with a small overlap, that will (hopefully!) sit snugly around the and inside the top of the bin holding the liner in place, If successful I’ll post some pictures!
Stevemills92
Stevemills92

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:29 pm

I too found my Nuevo bin too small. The solution is to remove it and put it on a shelf in your garage, or in the loft ready to refit when you sell the camper. Go to IKEA and get a rectangular bin with lid that fits exactly in the space available. 15 litre plastic rubbish bags fit it very well - if I had access and a camera and some posting-picture-knowledge I could tell you which one it is but I don't and so I can't. sorry.
I think it is this one: 10 litre bin

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 1 Bourton 1 Polensa
Vehicle Year : various

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:08 am

And where does that sit for convenience and out of the way?

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:19 am

It sits where the old bin used to, on the inside of the door. It isn't exactly out of the way but it's not a problem to me. I find I don't bang into it when entering / exiting. More problematic to me is that the door opening restraining strap doesn't hold the door. Any gust of wind strong enough to blow out a candle will rip it out of its runner and crash the door against the side body. That will be another project for me to solve.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:17 am

gassygassy wrote:Any gust of wind strong enough to blow out a candle will rip it out of its runner and crash the door against the side body. That will be another project for me to solve.
A length of dog lead strap with a velcro fastening loop at each end. One goes round the hab door handle and the other goes round the cab door handle.

Close up of the end loop below (not that you really need it I guess  smile!) loosely fixed for clarity. No stooping or hooking, and when not in use both loops are fitted around the cab door handle so it's out of the way. Couldn't be much easier, 100% secure . . . it works for us!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:35 am

I like that idea, I will use it myself, but tell me, will the door bang into the body if gusty??

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:33 pm

modelman wrote:I like that idea, I will use it myself, but tell me, will the door bang into the body if gusty??
No - not on our van anyway. In the photo it's pulled back as far as it will go, deliberately to stop it blowing in the wind.

If yours might possibly bang it wouldn't be much trouble to hang a padded bumper on the handle - with a bit more velcro.

It's the best idea I can come up with, and it's so simple it can hardly fail to work perfectly and (more importantly to me) conveniently.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:54 pm

Thanks for that, just got to go & buy a dog now. smile!

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:15 pm

Doesn't the dog come as a giveaway if you buy half a mile of lead?  Whistle1 snigger
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:17 pm

Thanks for the idea, I'll try it. As for dogs, I saw an advert for an unwanted one at a giveaway price of £450. I thought if you don't want it, why aren't you paying someone to take it away? I have never understood people wanting money for animals, as if they are goods to be traded.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gabjack Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:41 pm

Gromit wrote:Doesn't the dog come as a giveaway if you buy half a mile of lead?  Whistle1 snigger

Thinking that myself Gromit....
Never seen a dog lead that long in Pets at Home  content
Gabjack

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2022

Back to top Go down