The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fresh water not pumping after filling

+4
PLOUGHLIN
Mike187
Peter Brown
Motorola19
8 posters

Go down

Fresh water not pumping after filling Empty Fresh water not pumping after filling

Post by Motorola19 Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:47 am

Hi,
Apologies if this has been answered before but here goes.
I have had an Autosleeper Broadway EK 2010 for two years. It's got a Whale filling system. Lately we have had a problem with hot and cold water not pumping from taps after filling fresh water tank. Tried leaving pump run for a minute or two etc but nothing doing. By a process of elimination I found that if I opened the hot water dump valve for a few seconds and opened taps and shower tap, then sucked on shower hose there is a gurgling sort of sound and after a few good sucks water srarts to flow slowly. After a while the water pumps normally and all remains good until the next tank fill. On our last trip I filled the tanks before leaving home and carried out the above process and all remained good for the trip - until I needed to add fresh water through the Whale inlet!!
Any advice would be most welcome. The pump itself is an inline one under the seat near the filler with all the other water pipes etc. No leaks spotted. Only one other curious thing - when I shut taps off in bathroom I hear what I can only describe as a 'creaking' sound from behind the wall as the water shuts off? Pump shutting itself off normally etc.
HELP!! Thanks in advance
Motorola19
Motorola19

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Fresh water not pumping after filling Empty Re: Fresh water not pumping after filling

Post by Peter Brown Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:08 am

The tank fill system and the water distribution systems are independent of each other and not connected in any way.

You describe a diaphragm water distribution pump and the symptoms indicate a minute leak in the system, a failing pump or a high resistance electrical connection to the pump. Sometimes the seal around the diaphragm can fail, in which case you will see a slight bubble appear when the pump is operating.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Fresh water not pumping after filling Empty Re: Fresh water not pumping after filling

Post by Motorola19 Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:26 am

Thanks Peter. This is the pump. Just hoping the leak is not somewhere inaccessible!![You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Motorola19
Motorola19

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:41 am

That not a pump. Its the solenoid operated valve that blocks the water fill path when the float in the fresh water tank hits the full point.

You may therefore have an 'in the tank' pump for the water distribution system and they are notoriously difficult to prime and the pressure switch that controls it is very sensitive to supply voltage.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola19 Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:04 am

Thanks again. Lucky I posted the pics then! 
So when the tank is full this solenoid should stop the incoming  water when tank is full? I did notice that the water seems to be coming from an overflow in the tank which it didn't before?
Motorola19
Motorola19

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:08 am

Yes, its designed so that, if available, you can connect to a tap and leave the tap switched on with the tank auto-filling. Not the valve housing also contains a filter that often silts up and slows down the filling process.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola19 Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:03 pm

I've looked at my Autosleeper owners manual now and apparently I have a Flojet R3426-500 Triplex Diaphragm automatic water system pump. As Peter Brown has advised above, the fill system and water distribution system are separate so I don't understand why filling the fresh water tank seems to cause my water distribution problems? I'm going to try and locate my pump now, which is apparently under the Pullman seat.
Motorola19
Motorola19

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola19 Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:28 pm

I can hear the pump clearly with the Pullman seat up but cannot locate the actual pump!! As I said before, it's a Flojet R3426-500 Triplex Diaphragm pump and I also looked in the area of the water heater under the wardrobe but can't see it there either? Can anyone help with the actual location? Thanks
Motorola19
Motorola19

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike187 Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:02 pm

If you have the Whale filling system you may have a submersible pump in the fresh water tank.

Mike

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:33 pm

I'm not familiar with the layout of your van but if you note where the outlet pipe from the fresh water tank goes up through the floor then look at the same area from the inside will find either a diaphragm pump of a Whale Pressure switch (little white assembly in line with the pipework with a knurled adjusting knob on top). If you post a picture of what you find, that will help.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:04 pm

Motorola19 wrote:I can hear the pump clearly with the Pullman seat up but cannot locate the actual pump!! As I said before, it's a Flojet R3426-500 Triplex Diaphragm pump and I also looked in the area of the water heater under the wardrobe but can't see it there either? Can anyone help with the actual location? Thanks

A Caravan Club test of Nov 2010, says Flojet pump, but from 2011 a Whale submersible pump will be fitted. The 2012 AS handbook refers to a submersible. So you probably have the submersible and your handbook is not correct. A call to AS with your build number should confirm.

Sounds like a airlock as you can hear the pump. Often a drive round with water in the tank clears the airlock.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Dare-devil-dennis Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:18 pm

This air-locking issue is a real pain. I am tempted to fit a replacement diaphragm pump.

Dennis
Dare-devil-dennis
Dare-devil-dennis
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:19 pm

If you can hear a whine from the pump then it is in the tank, a deeper throb is a diaphragm pump like the Shurflo or FloJet.  Peter L is correct - it sounds as if you have an airlock somewhere.  If you fill up before the taps run dry you should not have the problem once you have got the water to flow normally as in your first post.

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola19 Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:34 pm

WThanks to you all for the information and suggestions. Yes, I think a call to Autosleepers may benefit
Motorola19
Motorola19

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola19 Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:17 am

Called Autosleepers. It is a Whale submersible pump and will need replacing. Not an easy job and may require the tank to be dropped. Bite the bullet time I think!!
Motorola19
Motorola19

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:41 am

Have you tried driving around with water in the tank to clear an airlock, before you get into pump replacement. If necessary dump the submersible and fit a Shurflo external pump.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:57 am

PLOUGHLIN wrote:Have you tried driving around with water in the tank to clear an airlock, before you get into pump replacement. If necessary dump the submersible and fit a Shurflo external pump.
What Peter said - with knobs on.

Get a Shurflo fitted and your problems are over forever.

If the Shurflo should ever go wrong, which is unlikely because they don't, you will only need a screwdriver and half an hour (maximum) to replace it with ease.

A/S are now fitting Shurflo pumps without dropping the tank I believe, using the old submersible as a pick up. That will make the job cheaper for a start, as the tank will not need to be dropped.

See here for loads of information, kindly supplied by MoggyMinor.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by KMRTOPAZ Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:48 pm

I am un-informed about the number of people on this forum who have actually replaced a Whale submersible pump with another Whale submersible.  The received wisdom appears to be remove the Whale and fit a Shurflo system. I can recall reading several posts reporting this.   They are very reliable and do not appear to suffer 'air-lock-problems'.      Keith
KMRTOPAZ
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 91
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz T5

Back to top Go down

Post by KMRTOPAZ Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:50 pm

I see that Gromit can type faster than I.     Keith
KMRTOPAZ
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 91
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz T5

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:58 pm

For once Keith! I'm usually beaten by someone.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down