The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bike rack for 2017 Nuevo

5 posters

Go down

Bike rack for 2017 Nuevo  Empty Bike rack for 2017 Nuevo

Post by NPH Mon 09 Apr 2018, 12:11 pm

Hi
I've looked through and can't find this question answered elsewhere, but please point me in the right direction if it has been.
I have a 2017 Nuevo EK and have booked it into RhinoInstalls in Preston for a Fiamma Lift 77 bike rack to be fitted 24 April. However, looking at the technical specifications from Fiamma, it looks like it won't fit because of the deep moulding on the rear of the Nuevo. Has anyone successfully fitted this rack to the Nuevo? If so, how? If not, is there an alternative that doesn't involve lifting bikes 1.4 metres to put them on the rack and doesn't involve a tow bar which requires the removal of the rear steadies, apparently.
I'd really appreciate any help anyone can offer.
Thank you in anticipation.
NPH
NPH

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Bike rack for 2017 Nuevo  Empty Re: Bike rack for 2017 Nuevo

Post by Cymro Mon 09 Apr 2018, 1:49 pm

NPH: we have that same Fiamma Lift 77 on our 2015 Nuevo. It was fitted at the factory for our supplying dealer. See below. It looks as if it's centrally mounted, with the 2 lower mounting bolts being in line with the word "NUEVO"; on the inside, the two offside brackets come just inside the shower.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It is excellent. I use a cheap electric drill to raise / lower it. Have to give a bit of manual assistance when raising our 2 sit-up-and-beg Danish bikes. But so nice to have the racks conveniently low. About to lower the rack now - that's why the straps are dangling in the photo.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by NPH Mon 09 Apr 2018, 2:00 pm

Hi Cymro, that is really helpful: thank you so much. I was beginning to think that we wouldn't be able to have the rack fitted. I'm assuming when you say that the two offside brackets come just inside the shower, that's not literal: ie, they don't really come through to the shower, do they? And does the rear window still open a bit for ventilation?
NPH
NPH

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dare-devil-dennis Mon 09 Apr 2018, 2:14 pm

I have the "standard" Fiamma bike rack on my 2017 Stanton and the bracket fixings come through into the shower. However, the fixings are properly "plated" and sealed and protected with moulded covers. They do not get in the way inside. in fact you'll soon stop even noticing them. The nearside ones are hidden behind the cooker.

It's that or put your bikes inside the Motorhome I'm afraid.

Dennis
Dare-devil-dennis
Dare-devil-dennis
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by NPH Mon 09 Apr 2018, 2:17 pm

Thank you. As a newbie, I'm hoping I'm allowed a few silly questions! I had visions of a big bolt sticking into the shower and a rusty nut holding it in place!!
NPH
NPH

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Mon 09 Apr 2018, 2:28 pm

NPH: Yes, they do come into the shower. I've just been out and taken this photo; unfortunately I couldn't get the angle to show both brackets in the shower, but the other is, obviously, directly beneath the top one!  The photo looks from the sink into the shower corner, with the acrylic panel still back against the wall. Send me a pm if not clear!
The other 2 brackets must be inside cupboards but I've not explored, and as we're fully loaded I'm not going to dig if you don't mind!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The rear window doesn't open much - about 10" at base - when the bikes are not on; when the bikes are on it's less - about 4" from memory - because in our case a handlebar or a carrying basket (I forget which) obstructs the window, but on ours we can open it enough for ventilation. I jamb a cork between the window strut to hold it open.  

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by NPH Mon 09 Apr 2018, 2:32 pm

Again, many thanks. And I don't blame you for not finding the other brackets!! I just hadn't realised that the brackets actually come through, but thinking about it, it makes sense.
You've been really helpful. 
Hope you have a good trip.
NPH
NPH

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Mon 09 Apr 2018, 2:40 pm

You're welcome, NPH. That's what this Forum is for. I learn so much from it, and it's (with a few exceptions) always friendly and constructive.

I'd relax about the fitting: a professional outfit like RhinoInstalls will no doubt have done it many times. Just don't watch them drill the holes in your van!!!

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by NPH Mon 09 Apr 2018, 2:42 pm

thanks
NPH
NPH

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by T25Pete Mon 09 Apr 2018, 10:31 pm

Hi all, I have a tow bar on my 2016 and still have the rear jacks. Fitted by Watling at St Albans.
T25Pete
T25Pete

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by NPH Mon 09 Apr 2018, 10:50 pm

That’s interesting. On the Watling towbars price list it says the corner steadies should be removed. Just copied from their online price list:
‘Nuevo (SWB Boxer chassis) EK, ES. Corner steadies must be removed. 2012 - PMO3-L. £415.00’

NPH
NPH

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Apr 2018, 8:34 am

living in Wellington (I'm in Somerset) Preston seems a mightily long way to go for a bike rack....unless it's part of a specific trip North...
couldn't Chelston or Highbridge or West Country Motorhomes help?
you'd save a shed load in fuel....
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Tue 10 Apr 2018, 8:41 am

Good point that - the distance.  Auto Sleepers would be a lot closer
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by NPH Tue 10 Apr 2018, 2:57 pm

You’re right, of course, Bolero Boy, but it’s at least £100 cheaper at RhinoInstalls and we have to be part way up that way for other reasons. I did enquire at Chelston (just round the corner from where we live) and was told, tersely, we don’t do the Lift 77 and we don’t know what the fitting cost would be either for the rack that we do supply: good example of ‘service with a grimace’. Autosleeper themselves seem to be working to a long lead-time at the moment: having the Whale switch-off float mended next week there, but had to book in weeks ago. Thanks for the observation though!
NPH
NPH

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Apr 2018, 5:26 pm

no worries, good luck with the rack...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by T25Pete Tue 10 Apr 2018, 9:54 pm

Regarding the tow bar and rear jacks. Watling took a number of photos of the installation of the tow bar and electrics ( 7 pin ). I’m sure they could dig them out if needed, or I could take a couple if needed. I have a feeling that it was the first of this shape Nuevo they had worked on.
Pete
T25Pete
T25Pete

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down