The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AutoSleeper Nuevo cam belt

+4
dandywarhol
Robbie
squip
hillwalker
8 posters

Go down

AutoSleeper Nuevo cam belt  Empty AutoSleeper Nuevo cam belt

Post by hillwalker Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:50 pm

Hi guys
I am in between vans at the time of writing, I pick up my Nuevo 2005 at the beginning of February up!
However a thought has struck me! When does the cam belt need replacing on the Peugeot Boxer? If it is between 5 and 6 years should I expect the dealer to sort it before I pick it up?
Cheers
Hillwalker
hillwalker
hillwalker
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

AutoSleeper Nuevo cam belt  Empty Re: AutoSleeper Nuevo cam belt

Post by squip Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:29 pm

Hillwalker,
There are a couple of threads on this forum about cambelts. Put "cambelt" into the search facility and you should find them.

This is my reply on one of those threads. :-

""My van is a 2004 2litre HDI and the service book says that your Peugeot dealer will advise on replacement interval. I asked a Peugeot van dealer and was told 96000 miles or 8 years. I am not sure if I would have received a different answer from a different dealer. So to be sure I had the belt changed after 5 years which was 31000 miles. Better safe than sorry I thought.""

For a 2005 van I would definately be thinking about having the belt, and tensioners, changed presuming that this has not already been done before. However whether you can get the dealer to do it for free before you pick the van up is another matter. Dealer will probably say it does not need it yet but in my view I would get someone to do it even if I had to pay myself. After all if it does break the grief will be all yours.

HTH
squip
squip
squip
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by hillwalker Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:09 pm

thanks, Squip, for your quick and informative reply
cheers
hillwalker
hillwalker
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:23 pm

Every 5 years even if it has only done 5000 miles in that time. Other then that every 60k is good to have the belt replaced
Robbie
Robbie
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Cotswold

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Ditto - VAG group now say every 4 years if the mileage isn't met - Dealer should change it for peace of mind (his and yours!) Don't get fobbed off up!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Clubman Anniversa
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:10 am

When we bought our Symphony 3 years ago , we had no idea how old the cambelt was. The dealer had no idea, tried to contact previous owner to no avail so I insisted on it being changed and they did it without argument as part of the pre-delivery service.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

AutoSleeper Nuevo cam belt  Empty Re: Cam Belt

Post by Fat Albert Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:46 am

All the advice given is good allthumbz , but while the belt is off get whoever does it to check the water pump as they can be prone to weep on low usage engines. For the small extra cost, it will give peace of mind and could save a larger bill later think_smiley_46 . A good dealership would change belt, tensioners and pump where there was any doubt, as proof that it was done can also aleviate insurance backed warranty issues later.
Fat Albert
Fat Albert

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:44 am

Hi,
Just had my low mileage 06 van done, the recomendation was at 5 to 6 years or 90 odd thousand miles whichever came first, my water pump had to be replace, slight leak, was told that the cost to replace the pump was more or less the same as the cam belt, should I leave it for later.
Pete
breakaleg
breakaleg

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo Ek
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by hillwalker Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:15 pm

Thanks to all for the info.
I will ask if they will check the cambelt at the pre delivery service, they might decide to replace it there and then, do pigs really fly?
Once again, cheers to all and a happy new year. allthumbz
Hillwalker

Leave Behind Only Footprints
hillwalker
hillwalker
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

AutoSleeper Nuevo cam belt  Empty Re: cam belt

Post by peugeotboxer Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:58 pm

[quote="hillwalker"]Thanks to all for the info.
I will ask if they will check the cambelt at the pre delivery service, they might decide to replace it there and then, do pigs really fly?
Once again, cheers to all and a happy new year. allthumbz
Hillwalker

You can't just 'check' the cam belt. Visually it might look good but if it's done the work it will need replacing.
If you ask "when was the cambelt changed" and they can't answer, then it should be done as a matter of course. If they do change it insist that the tensioner and water pump (if applicable) is changed at the same. You may have to make a 'donation' on that score!!
If you don't have this work done then it will only be a matter of time and then it WILL be expensive.
Trust me on that one!!

PB

peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by hillwalker Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:17 pm

thanks PB
that advice is most helpful and might also be a better way of broaching the subject with the dealer
Cheers
"H"
hillwalker
hillwalker
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:58 pm

When a cambelt breaks it's nearly always during startup when there's most torque on the belt. Low mileage, frequent engine starting driving gives the belt a hard time. Vehicles lying up for a long time can suffer perished rubber but it is very difficult to determine a belt's condition by a visual inspection.

The most bizarre breakage I came across was when a bird built a nest in the cambelt cover when it was stored up - first turn of the key and the belt snapped as it rode" over the disused nest! Most diesel engines are interference design - in other words, if the belt snaps, the engine is inevitably seriously damaged

In other words, don't guess with belts, modern diesels use plastic tensioner pulleys which tend to crack over time (4/5 years) - ask the dealer if they are prepared to pay for a 2 grand engine rebuild if the belt snaps during the limited warranty period! For a £350/400 job, why would the dealer risk it???

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Clubman Anniversa
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by hillwalker Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:38 pm

Hi guys,
I would like to thank everybody for replying to my post. Because of all the knowledge gleaned from you all I have been back to the dealer who at first tried to say it was me who was responsible for replacing the belt, but he would do the job at £50.00 per hour instead of £80.00ph!! I then said as the van was now 7 years old and with no history of a replacement he should replace it as part of the pre-delivery service, he said that as I had already paid for the van it was still down to me! I then said I would leave it at that then and would take the van out and put a lot of mileage and pressure on it and if the engine blew up I would claim for a new engine! he then said he would get back to me.The outcome of it all is we have agreed to split the bill, so while it is not wholly satisfactory at least I have a result and it is due to you all up!
cheers all
Haydn
hillwalker
hillwalker
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down