The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

where can I check my battery?

+7
Cymro
Greyhound
Spospe
rgermain
PLOUGHLIN
Gromit
dbroada
11 posters

Go down

where can I check my battery? Empty where can I check my battery?

Post by dbroada Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:56 pm

With so many threads about batteries not getting the charge expected I went down to my van (2016 Nuevo on a Fiat chassis) with a pen & paper and my volt meter. Checking the leisure battery wasn't a problem but I couldn't check the vehicle battery. I couldn't find it!

I assume it is under the spongy bit of carpet between the seats but I haven't looked closely enough to work out how to get in there. Also, under the bonnet is a great big stud labelled (something like) "earth stud for jump starting". I am expecting to find a similar piece of metal labelled "positive terminal for jump starting" but I can't find that either. During hand over I *THINK* I was told where the jump leads attach but if I was that information didn't stay too long in my head. Checking on google reveals that there should be a positive terminal under a cover but I can't find it yet. The only covers I can find don't look that willing to move so I'm stumped.

Could somebody give me a clue where to look for a +ve battery point? Mine is the rare Fiat chassis but surely the Pug will be very similar.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Stolen)
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

where can I check my battery? Empty Re: where can I check my battery?

Post by Gromit Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:04 pm

The vehicle battery on ours is under the passenger's feet. The lift off cover is on turn studs I think, but it comes off easily. Probably easier than trying to prise open the lid of the positive terminal box - specially if it's hissing down as it is now.

The positive terminal under the bonnet is not far from the negative one, but further back and lower down. It's in a black box with a welded on lid!!!! (Well, almost that bad! shrugg )

Last edited by Gromit on Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:04 pm

It will be under a cover of some sort, RED.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:21 pm

Mine is as said above, in front of the passenger foot well. I also have never been able to get the cover off, the jump start point under the bonnet, just like Dave, although I have never had to use it, just being noisy and you never know when.

Might add mine is a Boxer, but I am told they are the same layout.
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Spospe Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:24 pm

For an X250 Peugeot Boxer:

+ve terminal is on the right side of the engine compartment when viewed from under the bonnet. It is indeed under a red coloured lid, which lifts up on one side. The terminal is similar in appearance to the -ve one.

The starter battery is under the passenger's feet. Move the AS provided carpet out of the way .It's held down with quarter turn fasteners and if its anything like ours, there will be just two of them. To remove the battery compartment lid, I use a 2p piece as a tool to turn the catches and there are about 6 of them, the lid then just lifts off.
Spospe
Spospe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Greyhound Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:14 pm

If you just want to keep an eye on voltage it's easiest to simply get a cigarette lighter socket plug in voltmeter.  That way you can flick the ignition on to see the current battery voltage and then once the engine starts (or on EHU) you'll see the alternator/charge voltage.

Much nicer way to keep an eye on the state of the battery/charging without faffing to get to the batteries :)

Something like this - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Greyhound
Greyhound

Male

Member Age : 53
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:19 pm

Or one of these. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:26 pm

PLOUGHLIN wrote:Or one of these. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Which is surprisingly accurate, having checked mine against a half decent meter. up!

How they can do it for £1.60 including postage is one of the mysteries of the universe. scratch head confused3  I couldn't even post it for £1.60!!!!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Greyhound Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:45 pm

Gromit wrote:How they can do it for £1.60 including postage is one of the mysteries of the universe.

Judging by the negative reviews they bang them out in massive numbers from a Chinese factory with little quality control.

Most people get one that works but there is a chance you get a dud.

I bought one that also has 2 USB sockets for charging the phones on the go, but can't find the link.
Greyhound
Greyhound

Male

Member Age : 53
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:02 pm

I followed an earlier thread on the Forum and bought one of those pug-in voltmeters which are so much easier than using the probes of a meter. I "loaned" mine to my daughter, when the battery on my old TT (now hers) was playing up. Of course, it's still there.

But why, I should ask myself, did I bother to lash out a full £1.60 when my Sargent panel gives me the necessary reading? On both batteries. Is the Sargent reading sufficently accurate to tell me whether the batteries are doing fine? 

If someone who has both a plug-in voltmeter and a Sargent wouldn't mind comparing the readings, I'd be interested in knowing the result.
Thanks
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:15 pm

I've checked mine (EC328) against a "semi-professional" multimeter and it appears to be acceptably accurate - I rely on it and don't feel the need to use additional battery monitors. As I've said in other recent threads, the voltage reading on the Sargent panels does not drift, and it does not require regular recalibrating.

You may find - depending on the layout of the van - that the vehicle battery voltage on the Sargent is not as accurate as a monitor placed closer, on its own dedicated wiring, because of the distance and the restricted gauge of the wiring involved. However, the reading is only likely to be inaccurate when the circuit to the vehicle battery is carrying a lot of current, and that should not happen routinely.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:21 pm

Thanks all,

My main reason for asking is to find my way around the van! I want to confirm what each selection actually does, particularly concerning what is being charged when. Putting a meter across each battery will allow me to see that when this button is pressed and that one isn't then that battery is being charged. Once I have convinced myself about that there is no need to use the meter on the battery again.

And secondly, if I do need a jump start it would be nice to put the leads in the right place. I still haven't found a red cover under the bonnet but will check again some day soon.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by artheytrate Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:39 pm

On my 2014 Broadway it's as others have said but under a black cover not red and very easy to lift.

John.
artheytrate
artheytrate

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : None

Back to top Go down

Post by Spospe Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:06 pm

artheytrate wrote:On my 2014 Broadway it's as others have said but under a black cover not red and very easy to lift.

John.

I blush with shame. The cover is indeed black (I was confusing it with my wife's car). It has a "+" moulded into the top and is located on the right, towards the front of the engine compartment when viewed from under the bonnet.
Spospe
Spospe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyLouch Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:13 am

Not sure if this is the correct to place this post, however since it's battery related, here seems as good as any!!
Learned a good lesson this morning!!
We keep our MH on the drive and I have rigged up an EHU from the garage with main aim of keeping van dry/warm and ready to go as the fancy takes us!
I was a little concerned the othe day when I went to drop something into the MH and noted the step didn't fully extend when opening the Hab. Door and pressing the relevant button...anyhow, used the passenger door and did what was needed.
Today, went to start the engine and, oh dear not enough charge in the vehicle battery to swing over...!!
After a bit of searching in the manual(s) located the Vehicle Battery under the footwell passenger's side (RHD vehicle, MB manual identifies drivers side!). Access to the battery took a while (2 allen keys, a Philips screwdriver and removal of carpets and plastic trim!
Battery looked fine and using neighbours meter was showing a healthy output - tried ignigition and hey presto, fired up no problem!!

Suddenly light came on in brain and realised that during initial faffing about  I had switched the EC500 control to 'Vehicle' as opposed to 'Leisure' battery (which I had left it switched too a while ago!) and hence vehicle battery was now getting a charge from EHU!!

I then looked again in the manual and it clearly states that you can switch between 'Leisure' and 'Vehicle' and a little LED on EC500 main panel actually advises if Vehicle/Leisure is on charge!!

So, another good lesson learned and visions of having to buy new vehicle battery dispelled.

lesson, every, new, learn, day.....!! biggrin
AndyLouch
AndyLouch
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by artheytrate Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:28 pm

I leave my control panel set to smart charge and then the unit charges habitation battery then switches automatic to vehicle battery, and vice versa.

John.
artheytrate
artheytrate

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : None

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyLouch Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:40 pm

Hi John, good point! I have just downloaded the Sargent EC500 manual so will check the 'smart charge' option first thing!
Thanks, Andy
AndyLouch
AndyLouch
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:02 pm

for sake of completeness and in case I forget, here is the +ve terminal on a Fiat (and presumably Peugeot) and (black) cover.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:22 pm

I have tried to get the cover open, did you use the  slot at the front, mine is just like yours but seems to not want to open? Not needed it yet, but you never know with these van batteries!

Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by tarnbaz Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:48 pm

I just put the ignition key in the slot you mention and lever gently back towards the wing,the lid opens easily with no strain on the key.
tarnbaz
tarnbaz

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:16 pm

tarnbaz wrote:I just put the ignition key in the slot you mention and lever gently back towards the wing,the lid opens easily with no strain on the key.
Similar for me.

I just couldn't persuade it to open last week so this week I went down armed with all sorts of tools only to find it isn't tight and just hinges up with a screwdriver in the slot gently leant back.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:13 pm

Thank you, easy when you know how, I will give it a go in the morning, I had thoughts of snapping it off just for being nosy.

Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down