The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Problem with my Nuevo ES 2004

4 posters

Go down

Problem with my Nuevo ES 2004 Empty Problem with my Nuevo ES 2004

Post by Robert Wed May 30, 2012 9:57 am

Can anybody help me please? I recently bought a second hand Autosleeper Nuevo ES 2004. I have just noticed some sort of creamy-white 'gunge', approx 1" diameter, appearing out of the crack between the wall trim and floor, at floor level, beneath the side window on the nearside. Four weeks ago the same side window was resealed at Willersley as it had been leaking. I have contacted Autosleepers but they say it isn't anything to do with the recent repair. Has anyone had this problem or can shed any light on what might be the cause and what the 'gunge' might be - in particular if it might be toxic. I am very concerned as I will very shortly be taking grandchildren out in it. Any help much appreciated. Thanks Robert

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Edit: Photo added as requested by original poster

Last edited by Admin on Thu May 31, 2012 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Edit: Photo added as requested by original poster)
Robert
Robert

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES 2004

Back to top Go down

Problem with my Nuevo ES 2004 Empty Re: Problem with my Nuevo ES 2004

Post by CC Wed May 30, 2012 8:27 pm

Robert do you have a photo?

it might help show the problem so someone can advise better... Unfortunately as a new member you cant post pics for the first 7 days of membership but you can email them to [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and we can get them added for you on your behalf if this helps?

CC

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Problem with my Nuevo ES 2004 Empty Check for damp

Post by tomlynne Wed May 30, 2012 9:48 pm

Hi Robert. You could check for damp, as it might be a sign of mould. In mine this area looked OK initially, but then I popped off the coloured cups covering the various screws, removed the screws (including some hard-to-reach ones under the velcro and under the fixed narrow cushion) and pulled off the decorative board (that's the plywood sheet covered with upholstery material). Then I found that there had been damp getting in behind, which wouldn't have been found in a damp check - the probes are unlikely to reach through. With my vehicle the damp had been getting in through the curved joint rubber strip.
Best of luck Tomlynne
tomlynne
tomlynne

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire ES

Back to top Go down

Problem with my Nuevo ES 2004 Empty Gunge in Neuvo

Post by murph Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:19 am

Hi Robert,
Our van is also an ES, but I can not account for the gunge you have, from the photo it looks like soap bubbles, but the first thing to do is to take the panel off to see what is going on behind it, there are only wood screws under the blue caps which you prise off with a flat screwdriver.
You may then have to take it to a local dealer who can check the area for damp. One possibility is a leak round the gas locker door. I hope not as damp in the wall insulation is a serious matter and could be expensive to fix but check it out as a matter of extreme urgency.

Brian
murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down

Problem with my Nuevo ES 2004 Empty Re Problem with 'gunge' in my Nuevo 2004

Post by Robert Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:21 pm

Thanks for the help and suggestions with the problem with my Nuevo and sorry about the delay in responding to them. We have just been away in 'Nellie' (our Nuevo) for a few days without access to the internet. The more we use her the more we absolutely love our recently acquired motorhome and now have now no doubts about 'retiring' our 32 year-old Melford caravan in favour of this different type of the nomadic life!
However the 'gunge' problem (which incidentally dissolved into a brown liquid) is still worrying us. Unfortunately I cannot remove the upholstered panel referred to and I have been informed by Autosleeper that it is stuck on, not screwed. There certainly are no visible screws. I removed the 'gunge' and to date no more has appeared.
However on the advice given by forum members I have acquired a damp meter and it shows there is a small amount of damp in that area. It has also picked up damp under the window that has just been resealed (I wonder if perhaps that area could possibly still be drying out? - the resealing was done on 2nd May) but more worryingly damp in the head lining above the cab seats! I could say I'm getting a bit worried now - do I need to carry my welly boots around with me for inside use as well as outside?
I would really appreciate knowing if anyone else has had a damp problem in the Luton. The 'official' line from Autosleeper is that it is water-based glue absorbing moisture from the air - I would love to believe that this is is the answer - I just have a little nagging doubt. Thanks again for your help, Robert
Thanks again, Robert
Robert
Robert

Male

Back to top Go down

Problem with my Nuevo ES 2004 Empty Re: Problem with my Nuevo ES 2004

Post by murph Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:58 pm

Hi Robert,
With regard to the infomation from AS re damp on the luton, if that information came from Mark the workshop manager he really is a mine of information, I have found him to be very reliable, if he says it is just glue drawing in damp I would accept that, as it would indicate it was not serious. However unless the damp reading at the paneling keeps going down steadily I would treat it as very serious. Generally a damp reading of under 15% is is considered perfectly normal. The brown gunge was probably a glue/water combination. If you have hookup at home use electric heating (ultraheat if you have it) a convector heater or an oil filled radiator, not a fan heater as when unattended these are a fire risk, to dry the panel.

Brian2
murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down

Problem with my Nuevo ES 2004 Empty RE: PROBLEM WITH MY NUEVO 2004

Post by Robert Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:39 pm

Sorry for delay in responding to latest post. Have just become a grandparent for the fifth time and have been busy looking after Mum and baby!
Thanks for all the advice re the damp in my Nuevo. Having fought water ingress in my old Melford caravan for some 15 years, I do take the apparent presence of damp in my Nuevo very seriously. I have now bought myself a new dampmeter that measures in percentage. I take readings twice daily and record same. The damp in the side panel has registered over 15% but it does appear to fluctuate. Sometimes it has been as less than 10% but at other times nearly 20%. I am trying to fathom out why before returning to Autosleepers. It's such a long way from where I live and I know when I get there I will need solid proof of water ingress for them to be prepared to investigate the problem. There are two very localised damp patches, neither of them extend more than 10 cms. and they are both on the nearside side panel, one below the window and one just above the floor. If anyone can help any further with this problem I would be very grateful for their input.
Thanks Robert
Robert
Robert

Male

Back to top Go down