The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Habitation Door Security

+3
Gromit
ajrm
Welchbess
7 posters

Go down

Habitation Door Security Empty Habitation Door Security

Post by Welchbess Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:03 pm

We are considering buying an Autosleeper Winchcombe and would like to know if anyone has fitted any extra external lock to the habitation door as this would require drilling and fitting through the shower wall - which we are concerned about.
We would welcome any comments.
Welchbess

Male

Member Age : 85
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Habitation Door Security Empty Re: Habitation Door Security

Post by ajrm Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:36 pm

Why do you need to fit an extra lock? If it's a new model, the locks are pretty good, but they wouldn't stop anybody with a crowbar getting in, nor would an extra lock.
And, as fitting it would compromise your shower wall, not to mention having sharp steel fixings in somewhere where you don't wear clothes, I would think seriously if you need any added lock security.  
Far better to get a good alarm if you are afraid of break ins. Vanbitz.com  have a really good range of alarms and trackers and are based in Devon

Last edited by ajrm on Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
ajrm
ajrm

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex 2013 Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:13 pm

What ajrm said about VanBitz. Their Strikeback or Growler alarms are brilliant, and are not fudged models which were really designed for cars. They have been specifically designed for the large internal areas of a motorhome.

As for the general question of security, the van is no more secure than a plastic window held closed by very flimsy plastic clips. A determined thief will get in easily enough, so the best deterrent is probably an alarm, with stickers to show it is fitted.

If you opt for what VanBitz call "The Devil's Wail" you get two additional sirens inside the van - switchable so you can deactivate them while the alarm is in "bedtime" mode. They are LOUD!!!! Without sticking your fingers in your ears it is physically painful to be in there when they go off.

Nothing will stop a really determined thief, but if he sees that a Strikeback or Growler is fitted he is far more likely to try the van next door - unkind as that may sound! If you have either alarm set while you sleep, there is absolutely no chance of a thief getting in without waking you - and everyone within a ten mile radius. (I exaggerate only slightly! snigger )

Dave
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:17 pm

Gromit wrote:
Nothing will stop a really determined thief, but if he sees that a Strikeback or Growler is fitted he is far more likely to try the van next door -
Dave

I doubt whether any thief knows what a Strikeback or Growler really is (unless he is a motorhomer himself), surely any sticker showing that an alarm is fitted would put any thief off breaking in.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:41 pm

Paulmold wrote:I doubt whether any thief knows what a Strikeback or Growler really is (unless he is a motorhomer himself), surely any sticker showing that an alarm is fitted would put any thief off breaking in.
Hi Paul

The stickers don't include either of those names. They just announce that "This motorhome is fully protected by . . . . . . "

I mentioned the names to help the OP if he wanted to search for more information.

Dave
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Welchbess Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:16 pm

Many thanks to all who have responded we have taken on board all your comments
Cheers
Welchbess

Male

Member Age : 85

Back to top Go down

Post by chudders Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:25 pm

I considered fitting an additional external habitation door lock like a Fiamma one but in my tiny mind I reckoned it was just an advert from a distance to a would be thief that no one was in the van and could then break in through a window. I do feel it makes it obvious when the lock is across the door.
Now I have a fairly heavy dog lead attached to to van by the door and a largish dog bowl outside marked 'Bruno' (I don't have a dog but hoping it might make someone think there is one)
chudders
chudders

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Cotswold FB
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:15 pm

We have a Winchcombe and I think probably as other newer models it has the three latch system and would take a lot of prying open. Unlike plastic Windows shrugg
So I don't feel adding additional door locking would serve any useful purpose. IMHO I hasten to add content

Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Compass Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:08 am

Lol chudders I had the very same idea! I was thinking Satan or Killer for the bowl...

Captain_Compass

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by chudders Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:20 am

Captain_Compass wrote:Lol chudders I had the very same idea! I was thinking Satan or Killer for the bowl...
Yes, I just used aname that I thought might sound as if it ws a 'substantial' dog' Smeone else I know also has a picture of an Alsation in the window but I have not gone that far.
chudders
chudders

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Cotswold FB
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down