The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

extra security lock for habitation door

+14
FreelanderUK
rogerblack
MelB
gary humphries
modelman
IanH
Jansellsbond
gpilky
Firedecisions
RML
Tinwheeler
Gromit
Paulmold
Plymouthwelshboy
18 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

extra security lock for habitation door Empty extra security lock for habitation door

Post by Plymouthwelshboy Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:57 pm

Has anyone fitted an extra security lock to their habitation door on a broadway 2019 eb? As a newbie to motorhomes I am trying to work out whether it is a good idea to fit an extra lock or not and if so, whether there is one that can be locked and opened from not only the outside but also the inside? 
any help would be most appreciated. 
TIA
Plymouthwelshboy
Plymouthwelshboy

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB 2019
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

extra security lock for habitation door Empty Re: extra security lock for habitation door

Post by Paulmold Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:03 pm

Take a look at Milenco website, they have a lock that operates from both inside and outside.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

dotsontour likes this post

Back to top Go down

extra security lock for habitation door Empty Re: extra security lock for habitation door

Post by Plymouthwelshboy Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:29 pm

thanks paul - that sounds like what we were thinking of - appreciated.
Plymouthwelshboy
Plymouthwelshboy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:46 am

Before you hammer the wallet too hard, take a look at the habitation windows and their plastic catches, and think how hard it would be for a thief with a big screwdriver to get them open!  uncertain

I'm not being pessimistic or alarmist here, but is it worth spending cash on a door lock and drilling holes in the van, when it's already far more secure than the plastic windows??

Only you can answer that, but all I'm suggesting is that (as a newcomer) you don't get too carried away with exaggerated concerns about your van's security. You can bet that every robbery suffered by a member will be reported on here - but you will have to look hard to find many. Statistically you are very safe, and you have insurance if you ever become the unlucky one in a thousand!

Nothing will stop a determined "professional" thief, and an opportunist scrote is unlikely to try forcing a hab door with two strong latching points.
Others will disagree entirely, which is good, as it will give you several different viewpoints to ponder.  up!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Cymro, BobK, mikethebike, daisy mae, Jaytee, MelB, Tinwheeler and Dbvwt like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:25 pm

I agree with you, Gromit. The acrylic windows and plastic catches are the weak point on most motorhomes & caravans.

That’s one reason we went for another AS PVC with the non-opening glass windows.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

rgermain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RML Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:36 pm

As an aside to this, a police officer once told me that a thief may break in through a window but usually looks for a quick exit which is probably the door while carrying your booty.  By taking visual measures to the door a potential miscreant who spots this may walk on to a softer target.  Having said that I don't have any extre security measures other than a good intruder alarm.  
Rich..
RML
RML

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Ex - Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Firedecisions Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:09 am

I have a 2020 Broadway EB and I am quite impressed with the security compared with other Motorhome. Have a look at the windows, on ours they are recessed into the metal frame so it’s almost impossible to slide a blade up to push up the catches ( unlike our previous Majestic which was insecure, we purchased Lockem out which go over the catches to prevent them being pushed up, but they will not fit our Broadway) the habitation door is also much more secure with it dead locking into the metal frame, so I don’t think the extra locks are worth the damage to the bodywork.

When lock down is lifted, go to the dealer ( or any auto sleeper dealer) and look at the new models and compare with your one.

We did fit a different tracker, it is well hidden, I can use it to check vehicle battery and it s very good at alerting if vehicle moves etc.

Enjoy your new Motorhome
Firedecisions
Firedecisions

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by gpilky Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:39 pm

I also have a Broadway EB with recessed windows, but reckon they can be easily forced with a wrecking bar. In fact I've seen videos online that show how easy it is - the plastic catches either bend or break. So I have added some extra contacts to my alarm on each of the windows - a good visible deterrent too.

Don't forget the locker - its scary how easy it is to get into the motorhome that way too. I locked my keys in the van (embarrassingly) but forced the plastic latches on the door and was able to climb in through the seat! An alarm contact is now on the locker too....
gpilky
gpilky

Male

Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Jansellsbond Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:27 pm

On our Broadway 2013 we have fitted the milenco lock that locks from the outside or inside. It does give one an extra feeling of security when sleeping  somewhere different.   Although the windows are  a weakness they are at least at shoulder height for a tall man so  would take a concerted effort for one or a bit of teamwork for 2 or more.  Having said all of the above we did 3 years of roughing it fulltime around europe with naery a whisper of trouble.
Jansellsbond
Jansellsbond

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:11 pm

Irrespective of what you eventually do, it MUST always be possible to get out of the vehicle in an emergency. Our sliding door lock is never used when we are in the vehicle for example
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Jaytee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:14 pm

Sorry if I seem to be the bringer of doom here, but look at it from Mr. Tealeaf's angle, just about ANY vehicle ( apart from the presidential wagon ) can be very easily broken into, they wont be 'nice' about it either, a tap with a centre-punch,  sharp stone etc. will do for the cab door glass, arm in, door open, same goes for SEALED IN side glass, as for the plastic, well if I put my fingers around, I could very easily pull out & shatter any plastic unit, & once in, I'm confident that from the inside, I could stand & kick out the hab door, even if it had an external lock, i've seen those straps that bind the internal doors together, WOW, smash the glass & Stanley-knife the strap, door open!!
I DO take precautions about making it difficult to steal the van however, seat lock, steering wheel lock, brake lock, but wonder sometimes if it would be better to leave it unlocked, at least they shouldn't bust anything in the process, Ins. Co. might not like it though!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

BobK, Jaytee and Gromit like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:40 pm

Not doom MM, just very sensible realism!

As you will have gathered from my earlier post, I am in complete agreement with you.

I think a lot of people fail to realise that the average scrote doesn't give a damn how much damage he does when robbing a van, or anywhere else.

These two points you made are spot on . . . . 

"just about ANY vehicle ( apart from the presidential wagon ) can be very easily broken into, they wont be 'nice' about it either"

and . . . "wonder sometimes if it would be better to leave it unlocked, at least they shouldn't bust anything in the process"

My own inclination is to show a very visible deterrent such as a Disklok, and not to bother with much else. If he's an opportunist the scrote will walk on by and target some other poor sod's van. If he's a pro, nothing will stop him, so why spend a fortune buying a false sense of security!!

Dave
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

BobK, Jaytee, MelB, Suppersready and Tinwheeler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Plymouthwelshboy Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:04 pm

Thanks everyone for your comments - plenty to ponder on here - its hard work being a newbie!!  hugegrins
Plymouthwelshboy
Plymouthwelshboy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gary humphries Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:47 pm

Hi greetings from north Plymouth,I take all sensible precautions,steering lock etc habitation windows secure with reinforced plastic pipe between the black opening/closing levers,but as said if someone wanted to get in they would,
Enjoy your m/h .
Regards,Gary
gary humphries
gary humphries

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by MelB Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:32 pm

Just hours ago, today, found that the low life has broken into my van whilst parked up in its 'secure' storage site. CCTV picked them up last night climbing over the 6' fence. Luckily they were unable to drive it away. Not allowed to enter the van until police check for fingerprints. Initial assessment of damage from the outside is a smashed quarter light window and significant damage to and around steering column, including the steering lock and the electrics. Its likely to be damaged elsewhere and items stolen but that's all I can see for the present. Not sure if it would have helped if I had more safety systems in place [it does have a steering lock etc.] but all have there limitations for the determined thief.
MelB
MelB
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : KEMERTON
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:41 pm

Sorry to hear that, it's a horrible feeling after any break-in, knowing scrotes have been in and touching your possessions. 

Have to say, I don't think a 6ft fence amounts to much security! 
Needs to be 10 ft at least, surely?

Hope nothing of any sentimental value has gone; anything else can be replaced.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:18 pm

Sorry to hear that MelB ,had they caused damage to any other vans near yours ,if not was there any visible deterrent showing on the other vans

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by MelB Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:42 pm

Thank you Roger and sorry for the mistake. The fence is more than 6ft, more towards the 8-10ft. But not IMO of the quality and standard it should be. It was obvious to all that they intended to ram the fence with the van in an attempt to make there escape. No other route out of the storage site was possible. Luckily someone or something spooked them before they could start the engine and drive away. So much so nothing of significant value I believe was taken from the van. Will know more to-moro when I am allowed full access to the inside of the van. Police have completed there investigation-as expected no prints found.
Chris, no other vans were targeted. Might be a number of reasons for this, including the luck of the draw. But accept more visible security devices to the van may have persuaded them to look elsewhere. Sorry to all for drifting of the subject on this thread. Will not discuss my bad day on this thread again.
MelB
MelB
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : KEMERTON
Vehicle Year : 2014

FreelanderUK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by gpilky Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:16 am

I think the location of the vehicle is often overlooked when considering security. I notice a lot of reports of them being stolen from remote storage sites where the 'perps' have plenty of time to get into the van and work on the security. I notice that my insurance went up if I included offsite security storage and it is cheaper on my drive.

I think the reason for this is there are people around in housing areas making it much more likely that the 'perp' will be seen, so they don't want to spend a lot of time working on the security. I'm fortunate that I live on a cut-de-sac and that 3 homes around me have CCTV, plus another at the end which is the only way out. High chance they will be detected / heard.
gpilky
gpilky

Male

Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:53 am

Very sorry to hear your news MelB, particularly in view of my earlier posts in this thread!  so_sad  I'm feeling rather guilty about them now, but I'm sure you will agree (to reassure other members) that you are one of a very small, unfortunate minority.

Please don't worry about posting further news in the thread. It's not what any of us wants to read, but anything you can tell us that might help prevent future events such as this will be very much appreciated, I'm sure.

Dave
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:40 am

I’ve similar views to Gromit re extra security other than steering lock and pedal lock. Don’t forget roof lights as well, they are soooooo easy to just pull open. I’ve put a two foot diameter orange day-glo sticker on the roof as if heaven forbid it’s stolen the first question from the police is are there any identifying marks on it. I worked on helicopters and got the crew to see at what altitude they could see this disc which I had on my caravan and they said it was clearly visible at 3000 feet. Great for police helicopter if they could afford it. There was a caravan stolen by you know who’s from right in front of us at Cherwell Vally services (which is on a busy junction of A, B and M routes), took them about 30seconds. We phoned police who were very quick to respond and they said IF it had had roof markings they would have got a helicopter up. We had to depart leaving the sobbing owners sat on the kerb after just returning from a long stay in France with ALL there personal possessions in the van. We never leave our caravan or MH unattended at services any more. 
We are lucky to be able to keep ours out of site in an open barn with my beloved old Landrover but I do have a ‘maroon’ style of trip alarm fitted. Legality of which could be interpreted either way Whistle1hugegrins. I have to be really careful not to trip over it myself think_smiley_46.
Isn’t it a wonderful sign of modern times that we all have to be thinking this way censored!.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:56 pm

HI JT

Like the orange disc idea, we had a spare number plate and glued that to the roof, not heli visible I doubt but certainly easy to see from a motorway bridge, for example. Even more effective if the original number plates have been changed. Also, on a previous van got big letters meant for wheelie bins and put our post code on the roof.

Clearly I'm assuming you know who won't have time or intelligence to check the roof!!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

Jaytee and MelB like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:04 pm

MelB - very sorry to hear of your break-in.

In an earlier post someone mentioned deadlocking.  I was reading up about this yesterday.  On the Peugeot it can only be set by pressing the lock button on the remote key fob twice and this will lock all three doors from both the inside and outside.  The hazard lights flash three times to confirm the deadlocking.  Alarms are much maligned as people ignore car sirens but if they are integrated with the tracker, as they should be with Sergent's tracking system, the tracking centre in Bedford will be alerted and will phone the owner.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

MelB likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:36 pm

Caraman wrote:MelB - very sorry to hear of your break-in.

In an earlier post someone mentioned deadlocking.  I was reading up about this yesterday.  On the Peugeot it can only be set by pressing the lock button on the remote key fob twice and this will lock all three doors from both the inside and outside.  The hazard lights flash three times to confirm the deadlocking.  Alarms are much maligned as people ignore car sirens but if they are integrated with the tracker, as they should be with Sergent's tracking system, the tracking centre in Bedford will be alerted and will phone the owner.
Correction Caraman - not on all Peugeots it appears!  rolleyes

When I first heard about deadlocking I tried it on our van and it didn't work, so I phoned our friendly Peugeot main agent and asked what I was doing wrong, and could they fix it if it was broken.

I was then told that not all base vehicles came with the function, and ours is one that didn't.

All a bit vague I realise, but that's all I know. I was mildly miffed to learn that we don't have it, but didn't bother to investigate further so I don't know what proportion of vans have or have not.

I wouldn't ever use the deadlock if we were inside the van in any case, as being able to get out fast in the dark could be vital, and a panicking search for the keys is not a good scenario.

Hope this is of interest.

Dave
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

MelB likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:42 am

Thanks Gromit - I didn't know that.  Fortunately mine has the deadlocking facility but it is newer van than yours.  You are right about not using it when the vehicle is occupied.  It highlights this in the manual.  However, when leaving the vehicle unoccupied it would seem sensible to deadlock it every time by double tapping the lock button on the key fob.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next