The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mercedes sprinter Door Mirror Covers

+11
Lucyc1937
plato2012
Liam
Pete Taylor
burlingtonboaby
hblewett
oldfred
Peter Brown
JDS
duffie
PLOUGHLIN
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Mercedes sprinter Door Mirror Covers - Page 2 Empty Re: Mercedes sprinter Door Mirror Covers

Post by Peter Brown Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:02 am

Having had one of my mirrors to bits many times to effect internal repairs to the structure (see post earlier in the thread), I would recommend you take the back of the mirror off before you screw the cover to it so you don't drill into any fixings.

Peter

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Mercedes sprinter Door Mirror Covers - Page 2 Empty Re: Mercedes sprinter Door Mirror Covers

Post by hblewett Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:48 am

PLOUGHLIN wrote:Mirrors on 2014 are same as 2006-2013 models. The covers I fitted have label Sprinter 2006>
All the Sprinter mirrors I've seen look the same 2006<.  Of course, they may have changed them recently. confused3   Mine is a 2011, which I bought in 2013 and fitted the stainless mirrors soon after purchase, having 'lost' a mirror on our previous X250.  It hasn't stopped us from losing three indicator lenses - I'm getting quite quick at changing them now winks .  I tried a cheap one from ebay but it didn't fit - it looked the same but wasn't.
hblewett
hblewett

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Worcester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:56 pm

Peter Brown wrote:Having had one of my mirrors to bits many times to effect internal repairs to the structure (see post earlier in the thread), I would recommend you take the back of the mirror off before you screw the cover to it so you don't drill into any fixings.

Peter
The self-tappers I have bought are tiny, the threaded portion being 4.5mm long; I would be surprised if, given the gap between the stainless cover and the plastic shell, that they would even protrude into the inside of the plastic casing. However, you are correct about being careful when drilling the pilot holes. Would it be possible for you to describe how best to get the back off the mirror and also how best to get the indicator out- because this unit does look very vulnerable and I'm guessing it is only a matter of time.

Incidentally, I bought 50 of these screws, if anyone else wants a few, please give me a shout. They are stainless steel, like just about everything that I put on cars and vans!

Pete.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Stanton.
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:37 pm

Both top and bottom mirrors are push fit. Take the top one out first, fingers in the side and prise it out, disconnect the heater wires and put the mirror somewhere safe. Then do the same with the bottom one. Once the mirrors are out you will be able to see clearly how the front and back covers are screwed together via the central frame.

I haven't got time to take mine down and takes pictures at the moment but there's nothing obscure.

Peter

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:51 pm

Similar issue when we fitted our chrome grill bars, I wasn't convinced so simply bought a roll of number plate double sided tape and stuck a load of that on. They are now very firmly attached!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:06 am

Parcelforce have just delivered to my house in a Sprinter. It had plain rectangular mirrors, no indicators. Large repeater indicator on front wing.

Last edited by Pete Taylor on Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:00 pm; edited 2 times in total

Pete.

Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by padraigpost Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:56 am

That is an option which Parcelforce got for their vehicles, given the huge numbers of sprinters they operate it would cost then a fortune to keep replacing smashed indicator lenses or complete mirrors, the plain ones are far cheaper to replace but you must have the repeater on the wing with them, they are not the only fleet operator to take this option.
Don
padraigpost
padraigpost

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Mercedes Bourton

Back to top Go down

Post by stoneb Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:42 pm

I ordered a pair of stainless steel mirror covers yesterday from VanX @ £60.00 + £6.00 delivery. They arrived by APC Couriers this morning, 10.00! Very nice, well made too, just the job. I'll try them on IF the "liquid sunshine" stops pouring down for a couple of days.

up! Regards, Barry.
stoneb
stoneb

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe

Back to top Go down

Post by stoneb Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:17 pm

Those mirror covers look really good in my view. I'll update my Avatar as soon as I can work out how to marry up this tablet's camera to the web.

I couldn't fit the covers until I got home from our 6 week tour of France at the end of September. I then received the Unibond No More Nails double sided adhesive tape ordered at same time as the covers, oh, thank you (not) to Yodel Couriers for causing a massive delivery delay, to after I'd left for France.

Regards, Barry and Pepi.
stoneb
stoneb

Male

Member Age : 74

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:29 pm

Update: down in Suffolk this week and we had the Auto-Sleeper Stanton vs too fast/wrong side of road delivery van Sprinter head to head. No idea what happened to his  mirror, impossible to stop and he disappeared. We probably have camera footage of him, so his fleet manager will be getting a call, if that is the case!

The s/s shield stopped the main mirror from breaking but the wide-angle one cracked, the indicator unit was toast and the rear frame around them was cracked. I've fixed the latter with Araldite (until the next time!)  and ordered new parts from e_bay; allegedly OEM. The s/s shield has a slight ding on the edge, so I guess it did at least part of its job by saving the main mirror glass and the main front frame unit.

I notice that these shields are now available rather cheaper than they were: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Also note-worthy is the re-design of the mirror internals from the 2014 face-lift; the mirror lens no longer slides out as before. A very good you-tube guide here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Pete.

Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:33 pm

Sorry to hear that Pete, hope you get the driver that did it.

I am not sure whether I like the chrome mirror covers or not especially since they still sit at the end of black arms! I was wondering if anyone had tried putting a self adhesive chrome strip along the two arms to tie the whole look together, might look good? Very cheap to buy so II guess if it didn't work nothing lost.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:48 pm

Thanks. I'm not a fan of the "bling" look of the covers; if there were some plastic alternative (such as the ones available for Pugs) I'd opt for those, they might be more useful in a collision too?

The footage shows that he actually did get his wheels back on his own side of the white line before the bang- but of course his mirror was over "my" side and, what I failed to mention previously, there was a very hefty hedge along the edge of the left side of the road, giving no swerve-space. Not possible to read his registration in any case, it was raining.

What we need is the Auto-Sleeper Tardis: the external dimensions of a panel-van Sprinter with the internal dimensions of a Coach-built!

Pete.

Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyLouch Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:10 pm

All, just in case, I recently had a 'light contact' with 'white (actually blue) van man' in the Auvergne which required ordering a replacement indicator cover.
This was sourced from; The Wing Mirror Company Ltd. (http://www.thewingmirrorcompany.co.uk) at the very reasonable price of £11.95 and shipped to France!
After a bit of fiddling, I decided to look at the Interweb and found this really helpful link:
Andy
AndyLouch
AndyLouch
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyLouch Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:13 pm

Pete Taylor wrote:Update: down in Suffolk this week and we had the Auto-Sleeper Stanton vs too fast/wrong side of road delivery van Sprinter head to head. No idea what happened to his  mirror, impossible to stop and he disappeared. We probably have camera footage of him, so his fleet manager will be getting a call, if that is the case!

The s/s shield stopped the main mirror from breaking but the wide-angle one cracked, the indicator unit was toast and the rear frame around them was cracked. I've fixed the latter with Araldite (until the next time!)  and ordered new parts from e_bay; allegedly OEM. The s/s shield has a slight ding on the edge, so I guess it did at least part of its job by saving the main mirror glass and the main front frame unit.

I notice that these shields are now available rather cheaper than they were: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Also note-worthy is the re-design of the mirror internals from the 2014 face-lift; the mirror lens no longer slides out as before. A very good you-tube guide here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Apologies, just noted Peter has already included UTube link....
AndyLouch
AndyLouch
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:43 pm

Better twice than never Andy! allthumbz
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucyc1937 Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:55 pm

I have followed this thread with interest as I cracked my nearside Indicator lens in the mirror whilst in Wales, my fault no other vehicle involved just a lump of rock jutting out, a quick temporary repair with cellotape and back on the road. I looked at videos on youtube and read stories about how easy to break mirrors whilst removing them so a bit hesitant at a diy job. Whilst washing the MH a short time later a piece of the off side lens just dropped out so I glued it back in as a temporary measure. I looked at the price of replacement lens on ebay and genuine parts were £18 so I telephoned Northside Truck and Van at Doncaster who are Merc dealers and was given an estimate of £19.60 each and about half hour labour at £30 so I decided to go to them. Final Bill including VAT £61.96, not worth the hassle of risking breaking a mirror at about £68 plus vat. Excellent Service and friendly staff. Northside have premises in Leeds and Sheffield. Both indicators now fixed. Good to go.
Pete C

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 87
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2